Unwanted Horses

CountryLady

luvmyponies
Yes most of you are right, breeders need to take part, some do and unfortunately some don’t. But horse owners need to take part as well. Because, frankly, the horses we ride and care for come from a breeder. As horse people we ALL need to address the problem before it gets out of hand. Yes there have always been unwanted horses. But the industry fears that the numbers will increase drastically due to the economic downturn.
The QH and TB communities have decreased the number of breedings in the past year partly due to supply and demand, but also partly due to the economic down turn. BUT is it enough?

I know a few small time breeders and one in particular sells their foals with a buy back clause. I don’t know of any large breed that does this. A lot of individuals will sell their horses with a buy back clause also. But I have heard that on this forum people get looked down on for inquiring about the welfare or transfer of ownership of a previously owned animal. The very first pony I owned, my mother sold it to get a more suitable larger pony so that my older sister could continue to ride. We had both share the pony until then. I made the new owners promise to sell my pony back to me when they were ready to sell him. They did some three years later and that pony lived a useful long life until he finally died of old age. I didn’t have the full grasp, at that tender age, of the UNWANTED HORSE, but I knew my responsibility to my faithful friend.

The rescues are becoming over run. Most only take the neglected & abused cases. It seems that everyone wants to turn over their near 30 yr old horse to the rescues. Imagine that. Also the severely injured or lame horses, those are unable to be ridden , or are unable to preform some other useful duty, show up often at the rescues.

Some people treat horses like a commodity, some people treat the horse like companions and some people look at the whole horse and see both, but where do we draw the line?

Do we want the government to deem our horse farms agricultural or not? There are always going to be people out there that DO NOT understand what it means to be agricultural. This is one of the areas where EDUCATION goes a long way. I think my old (now deceased) neighbor said it best when he said, “ city people want to move out to the country and live like the country folks do, but when they get here (in the country) city folks have a problem (don’t understand) living like the country folks do.

A few more links:

Horse Slaughter Awareness Campaign - PA Rendering Companies and Cremation Facilities

Untitled Document

Dead Animal Removal

Humane Horse Remains Disposal Options | The Humane Society of the United States

Beef industry faces some of the same issues:
Wrangling Over Rendering

MORE SOLUTIONS, ANYBODY?

Robin

Yes most of you are right, breeders need to take part, some do and unfortunately some don’t. But horse owners need to take part as well. Because, frankly, the horses we ride and care for come from a breeder. As horse people we ALL need to address the problem before it gets out of hand. Yes there have always been unwanted horses. But the industry fears that the numbers will increase drastically due to the economic downturn.
The QH and TB communities have decreased the number of breedings in the past year partly due to supply and demand, but also partly due to the economic down turn. BUT is it enough?

I know a few small time breeders and one in particular sells their foals with a buy back clause. I don’t know of any large breed that does this. A lot of individuals will sell their horses with a buy back clause also. But I have heard that on this forum people get looked down on for inquiring about the welfare or transfer of ownership of a previously owned animal. The very first pony I owned, my mother sold it to get a more suitable larger pony so that my older sister could continue to ride. We had both share the pony until then. I made the new owners promise to sell my pony back to me when they were ready to sell him. They did some three years later and that pony lived a useful long life until he finally died of old age. I didn’t have the full grasp, at that tender age, of the UNWANTED HORSE, but I knew my responsibility to my faithful friend.

The rescues are becoming over run. Most only take the neglected & abused cases. It seems that everyone wants to turn over their near 30 yr old horse to the rescues. Imagine that. Also the severely injured or lame horses, those are unable to be ridden , or are unable to preform some other useful duty, show up often at the rescues.

Some people treat horses like a commodity, some people treat the horse like companions and some people look at the whole horse and see both, but where do we draw the line?

Do we want the government to deem our horse farms agricultural or not? There are always going to be people out there that DO NOT understand what it means to be agricultural. This is one of the areas where EDUCATION goes a long way. I think my old (now deceased) neighbor said it best when he said, “ city people want to move out to the country and live like the country folks do, but when they get here (in the country) city folks have a problem (don’t understand) living like the country folks do.

A few more links:

Horse Slaughter Awareness Campaign - PA Rendering Companies and Cremation Facilities

Untitled Document

Dead Animal Removal

Beef industry faces some of the same issues:
Wrangling Over Rendering

MORE SOLUTIONS, ANYBODY?

I have been googled enough thank you.

DQ87

I sooooooooooo strongly agree with you

Here's an idea. People need to stop breeding sub-par quality horses. Just because an animal has reproductive capability does not mean that animal should be bred.

Color should not be a determining factor. Oh, but he/she is my baby and I want another one just like him/her is also not a good reason. There are more than enough average horses out there. Go rescue/buy one.

covekat

Selling a horse at a low value......

Opens the door for folks that really can not afford to really, provide proper care for the horse. Its not cheap. Lowering a price just so you can sell a horse opens that avenue and adds to the problem of in adequate care of an equine.

I guess thats where that saying comes from.

The cheapest Item in all of this was actually purchasing the horse.

Amen to this, and something I see frequently with the OTTB's.

CountryLady

luvmyponies
New Homes and New Hope for Some Neglected Horses

EXCERPT:

One horse is being retrained to become a hunter-jumper in Virginia. A half-dozen or so of his former neighbors rollick in the pasture and munch carrots in Pennsylvania. Seven more are being nursed to health by inmates at a New York prison. Then there is the aptly named Escapedfromnewyork, who is convalescing with champions and legends at a retirement home amid the plush bluegrass in Kentucky.

They were all among the 177 horses found malnourished and neglected in April at the upstate New York farm of the prominent thoroughbred breeder and owner Ernie Paragallo. Over the last six months, the Columbia-Greene Humane Society/Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, with the help of rescue groups and horse lovers from across the nation, has found homes for 96 of those horses.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/18/sports/18horses.html

Interesting reading!

covekat

Some friends of mine sold 3 TB's to this man... they did get 2 back after the AC stepped in. It is still unkown what happened to the third horse.

The horses that are going to Paula are lucky, she is a super horse woman and a very nice human being.

Just goes to show you never know about people... the former owner had one of the nicest stallions in the country at one point (Unbridled)... the whole thing is pretty shocking.

CountryLady

luvmyponies
Some friends of mine sold 3 TB's to this man... they did get 2 back after the AC stepped in. It is still unkown what happened to the third horse.

The horses that are going to Paula are lucky, she is a super horse woman and a very nice human being.

Just goes to show you never know about people... the former owner had one of the nicest stallions in the country at one point (Unbridled)... the whole thing is pretty shocking.

Yes, it is!
It's Really Unbelievable!!!

CountryLady

luvmyponies
Horses becoming victims of down economy

LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) - A concerned viewer contacted WAVE 3 after she thought horses were being neglected at a Louisville stable. But when we investigated, we found a much different story.

.............“They drive by and they probably do see them out here and they wonder why are they so skinny?” said Currie. “A lot of people don't understand it only takes a couple months for them to get that skinny. But when you want to put that weight back on them, it can take almost a year.”

Horses becoming victims of down economy - WAVE 3 TV Louisville, KY |

DFSquare

See, I just don't get it. There have been so many people that have offered us horses since I started posting. I wish with all my might I could afford 3 of our own right now and so do the boys. They just weren't getting the reason I keep saying no. So this is what I did:

I made a list of intial investments (tack, grooming needs, stable supplies) and on-going needs (monthly & annual like vet, dental, vaccs, FOOD, etc). I then pointed them to the classifieds on this site for some of the information and my favorite on-line tack shops for the rest.

After they did all that (several hours for 2 adolescent boys), we worked out how much we needed each month for 1 horse...almost $500 (with lots of great deals found of course). That did not include buying the intial items, a truck and trailer, horse insurance or putting anything into a specific savings account for horse disasters.

So if I did that for my children, why would grown adults not do the same thing for themselves prior to acquiring (in whatever manner) a horse for themselves?

I just really don't get it. But then, I guess that's why I don't have a herd of horses near starvation. :shrug:

covekat

Lets not forget that in this economy many peoples financial status has changed. People that thought they could afford to care for their horses are now in a postition where it's impossible.

CountryLady

luvmyponies
See, I just don't get it. There have been so many people that have offered us horses since I started posting. I wish with all my might I could afford 3 of our own right now and so do the boys. They just weren't getting the reason I keep saying no. So this is what I did:

I made a list of intial investments (tack, grooming needs, stable supplies) and on-going needs (monthly & annual like vet, dental, vaccs, FOOD, etc). I then pointed them to the classifieds on this site for some of the information and my favorite on-line tack shops for the rest.

After they did all that (several hours for 2 adolescent boys), we worked out how much we needed each month for 1 horse...almost $500 (with lots of great deals found of course). That did not include buying the intial items, a truck and trailer, horse insurance or putting anything into a specific savings account for horse disasters.

So if I did that for my children, why would grown adults not do the same thing for themselves prior to acquiring (in whatever manner) a horse for themselves?

I just really don't get it. But then, I guess that's why I don't have a herd of horses near starvation. :shrug:

But dear girl, you don’t have a horse either.:wink:

That is a good life lesson to teach your children.

Firstly, I don’t think you should rush out and get 3. :killingme
Lease 1 and share for lessons. :whistle:

Borrow extras from friends for trail rides, lots of folks that have good horses that need miles.:buddies:

HINT: My kids rode bareback for the first year until we found a suitable saddle for horse and rider.

OH YEAH, Lots of folks also hitch rides to public trail rides.

Lets not forget that in this economy many peoples financial status has changed. People that thought they could afford to care for their horses are now in a postition where it's impossible.

VERY TRUE!

Last edited:

fredsaid2

The most cost effective way of being involved w/ horses is taking regular lessons. Once you advance there are opportunities like NECL, NCAEL, summer riding camps and clinics. Hook up w/ a good sized lesson barn and you will have a myriad of opportunities.

DFSquare

My point was that as someone looking into the possibility of ownership, I have done some research to be sure we could adequately care for a horse. Since I feel we can't, at this time, we don't own any. *ok, we could but we have other things we like to do as well that I don't want to give up just yet*

So how does a large barn end up with over 100 horses in such horrible condition? What goes on in the minds of the owners to let the animals continue to drop weight and not realize they need to part with them or make changes to the diets or get a vet out?

That's what I don't get.

CountryLady

luvmyponies
My point was that as someone looking into the possibility of ownership, I have done some research to be sure we could adequately care for a horse. Since I feel we can't, at this time, we don't own any. *ok, we could but we have other things we like to do as well that I don't want to give up just yet*

So how does a large barn end up with over 100 horses in such horrible condition? What goes on in the minds of the owners to let the animals continue to drop weight and not realize they need to part with them or make changes to the diets or get a vet out?

That's what I don't get.

LOUISVILLE, KY : I think in that particular case, most of them came to her as rescues. People were surrendering them to her cause they could no longer care for them. People drove by her place, seeing the skinny horses, and turned her in for potential neglect.

Last edited:

covekat

That's what I don't get.

In the case of Paragallo, he states that he wasnt at the farm for 9 months... inatead, paying employees to care for the horses. It's no exuse, but something not uncommen in the TB world. I'm glad he cant pass the buck, it will make others who do things this way sit up and pay attention. They'd better be on top of things because if things do go South, they will be the responsible/prosecuted party.

CountryLady

luvmyponies
In the case of Paragallo, he states that he wasnt at the farm for 9 months... instead, paying employees to care for the horses. It's no exuse, but something not uncommen in the TB world. I'm glad he cant pass the buck, it will make others who do things this way sit up and pay attention. They'd better be on top of things because if things do go South, they will be the responsible/prosecuted party.

Agreed.

You can delegate authority, but you cannot delegate responsibility!!!!!:nono: