US aluminum and steel mills restating idle plants...

Chris0nllyn

Yes!
Thanks for confirming my post

:lol: Your link specifically stated they still need to continue to mine for materials in other countries. Maybe you think your point was confirmed, but maybe you don't quite understand. Could also be why you're discussing Harley and Apple instead of the steel/aluminum tariff at hand.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Tariffs. Tariffs. We're talking about tariffs on the steel industry.

The last time a tariff was placed on the steel industry was in 2002 by Bush.

And you understand, I hope, that there was a US steel industry before then? Or do you just want to argue, in which case I will excuse myself from your posts?

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
Let's say you're correct, why is it the government's job to prop up a failing company?

What comment is BS, specifically? I'm happy to steer you as to why the tariffs did not help.

Your whole post, but steer away.

So you were also against the bailouts of the banks, GM, Chrysler, AiG, Fanniemae and Freddiemsac and shovel ready projects.....

Chris0nllyn

And you understand, I hope, that there was a US steel industry before then? Or do you just want to argue, in which case I will excuse myself from your posts?

Yes. I do understand that. Now how does that apply to the steel tariffs being posed by Trump? Because you think we're going to bring back a steel industry, more importantly a manufacturing industry, to its hay-day where it took hundreds of people to run the assembly line/manufacturing process? Technology has evolved since then, streamlining the process using robots, eliminating jobs. Historic manufacturing jobs will never happen.

If you cannot even be bothered to follow news and current events you really shouldn't be commenting on this issue.

What does that even mean?

No one has yet to debate what I posted, you know, the relevant material to the topic at hand, so maybe I'm not the one that shouldn't be commenting.

Steel tariffs won't work. Aluminum tariffs won't work. For a group of people that love to imply age=knowledge, you all sure love to repeat the same things that don't work.

Chris0nllyn

Your whole post, but steer away.

So you were also against the bailouts of the banks, GM, Chrysler, AiG, Fanniemae and Freddiemsac and shovel ready projects.....

What?

In my original post, I discussed the tariffs the EC was threatening to place on H-D and how it would affect them.
For one example, Harley-Davidson produces 230,000 bikes per year. 1/5 of them are shipped to Europe and Japan. After Trump's tariff announcement, the European Commission plans to impose tariffs on American-made goods, including a 25% tariff on motorcycles. So, Harley not only will pay more for their steel/aluminum to build bikes, but will be hit with a tariff on bikes sent to Europe. How does that help the more than 500 people that work for Harley?

f you care to read that story you'll see that Harley is planning to build a factory in India to to tariffs on their bikes there. Harley scaled back production in the US to open a plant there. Same thing in Thailand. How did those tariffs help America?
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ll/1078008001/

You came along and asked an open-ended question with no bearing on what was being discussed because you wanted to discredit something, anything, in my post. Regardless if it even applies to the topic at hand.
Is this the same Harley Davidson that was going out of business until the USA put tariffs on Japanese bikes......tell me more

Yes. I'm not aware of another Harley-Davidson, but you felt the need to ask the question anyway with the "tell me more" added on for humor.

Then, when told more about it as requested, you said:
...but the truth is, without the tariffs, they would of gone bankrupt. The tariffs gave them the breathing room they needed.
So your comment is BS unless you can prove it without some left anti-Reagan article.
...and what did Reagan’s tariffs have to do with Harley’s earning after 2000.....genius

What else is there to prove? As you can understand, your lack of being able to follow along is forcing you to come up with statements that don't have no bearing on reality.

Now, if you want to read through all that and show me what is BS about the fact that the EC is proposing a tariff (truth), or what's BS about paying more for goods (truth), or what's BS about anything else I've said, come out with it. Until then, you can continue to blather on about nothing in particular just to argue.

And yes, I was against those as well. "Too big to fail", Solyndra, Ex-Im bank, GM, everything. I personally don't believe the government should be in the business of picking and choosing "winners". I'm apparently alone in this on a forum full of so-called "conservatives".

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Yes. I do understand that. Now how does that apply to the steel tariffs being posed by Trump? Because you think we're going to bring back a steel industry, more importantly a manufacturing industry, to its hay-day where it took hundreds of people to run the assembly line/manufacturing process? Technology has evolved since then, streamlining the process using robots, eliminating jobs. Historic manufacturing jobs will never happen.

Chris Chris Chris...sigh...

Technology eliminates some jobs and creates others. It's always been that way. Like, always. Slept through history class, did we?

And yes, I think US manufacturing and industry can indeed make a spectacular comeback. Not under the globalists who don't give a damn about workers and only care about lining the pockets of them and their dictator buddies, though. But if Trump can strong arm those money grubbers and get what he wants, we will indeed see a huge decrease in outsourcing and increase in American jobs.

SamSpade

I understand the correlation, but The outsourcing already happened. A tariff only punishes the consumer and fills the federal coffers.

Can someone explain to me how a tariff cost is passed on to the consumer but apparently a corporate tax is not?

SamSpade

And yes, I think US manufacturing and industry can indeed make a spectacular comeback.

Of course it can. We're under this idea that China is the lead manufacturer in the world because it pays its people crap (not true).
But you know who else is after us? Japan. Germany. They still have a powerful manufacturing base.

I've heard this story for the last twenty to thirty years - the U.S. is trending to a service based economy and away from a manufacturing based
economy - and that is somehow the normal progression in advanced economies.

Except it's bull####. The other leading economies in the world are THE world leaders in manufacturing.
They're highly automated and they have skilled workers - but they're doing it.

Midnightrider

Can someone explain to me how a tariff cost is passed on to the consumer but apparently a corporate tax is not?

They obviously both are passed on to the consumer. That’s why I suggested tax incentives (as in reduced taxes or credits) instead of tax increases or tariffs.

So, answering questions with a question. You and Starman must be dating
you didn’t give any specifics, you said you thought trump had already done that. I am asking other than tariffs what trump did for US AL and Steel.

Hijinx

They obviously both are passed on to the consumer. That’s why I suggested tax incentives (as in reduced taxes or credits) instead of tax increases or tariffs.

you didn’t give any specifics, you said you thought trump had already done that. I am asking other than tariffs what trump did for US AL and Steel.

If Trump gave tax incentives you would be the first one here bitching that he was owned by those he gave the incentives too.