Veep Cheney to work with Dems to 'bury' hatchett...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
From the office of the Vice President:

Dear Democratic Senators,

In an effort to extend an olive branch, so to speak, I think it in the best interests of the nation if we were to spend a little time together in an effort to get along in a more cordial manner in order to better serve the people of our nation.

Perhaps bowling, some golf? Please contanct my office at your earliest convenience, one at a time or, perhaps, all at once may be more efficient, so that we may make a date. If you have nothing special you'd like to do, it's pheasant season in Texas.

Hugs and kisses,

Dick
Vice President of the United States of America

Pete

Repete
Larry Gude said:
From the office of the Vice President:

Dear Democratic Senators,

In an effort to extend an olive branch, so to speak, I think it in the best interests of the nation if we were to spend a little time together in an effort to get along in a more cordial manner in order to better serve the people of our nation.

Perhaps bowling, some golf? Please contanct my office at your earliest convenience, one at a time or, perhaps, all at once may be more efficient, so that we may make a date. If you have nothing special you'd like to do, it's pheasant season in Texas.

Hugs and kisses,

Dick
Vice President of the United States of America
Actually the REAL story goes like this;

Dick was out hunting and one of the goobers said "Wow a crazy hen pheasant, I be she'll run" Cheney thought someone said "Wow look that crazy biatch, I bet it's Sheenan" and he shot.

Mikeinsmd

Bury the hatchet in their head....

Saw Reed & Allen on TV this am. Reed believes we need a warrant during wartime to tap known terrorists phones.... :duh: Allen ripped em a new one. :yay:

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Penn said:
Stuff like that happens. I almost got it from a guy I was hunting quail with in Nebraska many years ago. The difference was the guy I was hunting with knew I was there. The pellets went right beside my head into the leaves of the tree beside me. I didn't get hit, but it sure was close. Scary.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Penn said:
Wonder if the anti-gun lobbyists will try to make something of this?
Any opportunity they get. One day they will place a "straw" on the back of the "camel" and all hell is gong to break out.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
For anyone....

...freaking out over this...

Shotgun pellets, in this case probalby #6 or so, are BARELY lethal to a bird at 30 yards or so and shotgun bird hunting is VERY much a dynamic thing; the prey suddenly appears, is moving fast and you got NO time to get on target.

Contrast this to hunting deer with a 30-06. You sit alone and sit and sit....and sit....and....zzzzzzzzzz......

FINALLY, a deer might stroll into sight. Even if he's 100 or 200 yards away, you take very slow, deliberate aim and....squeeze....just as the animal is still.

So, Cheney DID mess up because you MUST be clear on where everyone is and who's field of fire is where but, all in all, as 2a pointed out, not the most uncommon accident in the world and, if you're hunting in a group properly, you're likely outside of lethal range anyway.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11312757/

Hit in chest, neck and cheek
Katharine Armstrong, the ranch’s owner, said Sunday that Cheney was using a 28-gauge shotgun and that Whittington was about 30 yards away when he was hit in the cheek, neck and chest.

28-guage is kind of small round isn't it? And, at 30 yards much of the energy has been spent, I would think.

Later in the article:
Armstrong, owner of the Armstrong Ranch where the accident occurred, said Whittington was bleeding after he was shot and Cheney was very apologetic.

“It broke the skin,” she said of the shotgun pellets. “It knocked him silly. But he was fine. He was talking. His eyes were open. It didn’t get in his eyes or anything like that.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Larry Gude said:
So, Cheney DID mess up because you MUST be clear on where everyone is and who's field of fire is where but, all in all, as 2a pointed out, not the most uncommon accident in the world and, if you're hunting in a group properly, you're likely outside of lethal range anyway.
Not sure if what I heard was true but they said that the "victim" (aka lawyer, so no crime) was joining the group that was already out in the field, unannounced. Meaning to me that no one knew he was coming or from where.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
No such thing...

...as a 28 gauge. I didn't see where it said that but, someone made a typo somewhere in the story. 20 gauge I would believe.

Mikeinsmd

Larry Gude said:
...as a 28 gauge. I didn't see where it said that but, someone made a typo somewhere in the story. 20 gauge I would believe.
Sure they do.

WINCHESTER produced the Model 12 pump-action shotgun from 1912 until 1980, during which time, over 2 million were produced in 12, 16, 20, and 28 gauge However, only about 2,600 were manufactured in 28 gauge.

Factory records indicate the Winchester Model 12 in 28 gauge was manufactured continuously between late August, 1937 until mid-1960. Early guns were available in all five grades-Standard/Field, Standard Trap, Skeet, Special Trap, and Pigeon with either a 26- or 28-inch barrel. By 1950, the Standard/Field grade was discontinued, and the 28 gauge was available as a skeet gun only, retailing for $132.75.

Mikeinsmd

Larry Gude said:
Shotgun pellets, in this case probalby #6 or so, are BARELY lethal to a bird at 30 yards or so...
If quail hunting, he should have been using 7-1/2, 8 or 9's. At 30 yards, these will penetrate skin and take out an eye, but won't come close to killing an adult male.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I stand corrected...

Mikeinsmd said:
Sure they do.

WINCHESTER produced the Model 12 pump-action shotgun from 1912 until 1980, during which time, over 2 million were produced in 12, 16, 20, and 28 gauge However, only about 2,600 were manufactured in 28 gauge.

Factory records indicate the Winchester Model 12 in 28 gauge was manufactured continuously between late August, 1937 until mid-1960. Early guns were available in all five grades-Standard/Field, Standard Trap, Skeet, Special Trap, and Pigeon with either a 26- or 28-inch barrel. By 1950, the Standard/Field grade was discontinued, and the 28 gauge was available as a skeet gun only, retailing for $132.75.

...did not know that!

Pete

Repete
Larry Gude said:
They do. It is an old size between a 410 and a 20 ga. I used to shoot skeet with a guy who had one.

I have also been pelted by shot many times shooting doves in Ga. Not a real ig deal, unless you are the VP :lol: I even had a #7 embedded in my arm until I dug it out.:rambo:

Pete

Repete
Mikeinsmd said:
Sure they do.

:yeahthat: beat me

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
What's funny is the article I posted this morning has been changed.

I first cut/pasted the URL for it, then pasted the paragraphs about the shotgun guage that was mentioned. (28 guage)

When Larry said he hadn't read about the guage quoted, I went back and looked. It had been removed! :lmao: Wonder why?

Most folks I've talked to during the day say it's not uncommon for that kind of accident to happen.