Katelin

one day the dark will end
ET1
Florida
Groten CT
Dam Neck VA ("A" & "C" school)
Guam-USS Proteus (AS-19)
Norfolk
Kittery ME - USS Simon Bolivar (SSBN-641)
Little Creek VA - USS Fort Snelling (LSD-30) with side trips to Cuba, Panama, Columbia, Bolivia, Virgin IS, Curacao, Honduras, Puerto Rico & Venezuela
Norfolk
NAVCAMSEASTPAC HI with side trips to Moffet field, Osan AFB Korea, Japan
CIVLANT

When were you on the Proteus?

I just found out a ship I helped commission was sunk in an exersize after being decommissioned.

From Wikipedia.

USS Dixon (AS-37) was a submarine tender, in service to the United States Navy from 1971 through 1995. Dixon was named for George E. Dixon, commander of the Confederate submarine H. L. Hunley.[1]

Dixon was laid down by General Dynamics Corp, Fore River Shipyard at Quincy, Massachusetts on 7 September 1967. She was launched on 20 June 1970 and commissioned on 7 August 1971 at Norfolk Naval Shipyard, sponsored by Mrs. Paul Masterson, the wife of retired Vice Adm. Paul Masterson, USN,[1] and commanded by Capt. D.S. Boyd, USN.

Rommey

USAF - MSgt
1980-2002
Originally 328X0 Avioncs Comm, converted several times ended up 2A472 Aircraft Comm/Nav

1980 - Lackland (basic), then Keesler AFB (Tech school)
1980-1983 - Altus AFB, OK
1983-1994 - Andrews AFB, MD
1994-1995 - Rota NAS, Spain
1996-1998 - TDRL
1998-2002 - Andrews AFB, again

Retired in 2002, hung up uniform, walked down the street and started new job as contractor, almost 1/2 way to 2nd retirement...

xobxdoc

Lt. USN Ret. Naval Aviator
Assigned to USS Enterprise 1982-1986. Flew F-14's
I was reluctantly selected to go to Miramar for Top Gun School.
Immediately, I got involved with this gigantic blonde know-it-all ##### that was one of my instructors.
Lost my rear in a training accident when I flew into some jet wash. God, I miss him. We played some awesome volleyball together!
I was ready to just quit when i was made to realize I wouldn't be happy unless I'm going Mach 2 with my hair on fire!
I acquired enough points to graduate with my class. Some arrogant dick with huge teeth got Top Gun though. His name was George Zip or Kazanski, whatever. It doesn't matter . I fly cargo planes full of rubber dog sh!t out of Hong Kong now.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
SFC USA Retired

19D40D3 Scout-Recon/M3 and M1 Crew & commander

1980 Ft Knox Ky, Armor School
1980 - 83 C Trp 1/11th ACR, Fulda Germany, OP Alpha
1983 - 86 E Trp 2/6 CAV (ACX) Ft Knox, KY
1986 - 92 HHC 1/30TH Inf (Recon), 3 ID, Schweinfurt Germany

OOR/79R recruiter

1992 - 00 Recruiter, Southern NH, Oil City Pa.

Last edited:

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits
USA 72 - 75
Fort Dix (Boot Camp)
DLI Monterey, CA (Korean Language Training)
Goodfellow AFB, TX (Cryptologic Training)
Fort Devens, MA (Jamming School)
ASA, ROK - Fun times

Got out for a bit, hated civilian life

1982 - 1999 Retired CWO2
Boot at Great Mistakes (in the darn winter)
DLI Monterey, CA (Chinese Mandarin training)
Goodfellow AFB, TX (Cryptologic Training)
NSGA Kunia, HI (Surface Direct Support) Carriers/Cruisers/Frigates
NSGA Pyongtaek, ROK (LPO, OSAN AB Element) four years of fun, Manager Skivvy Nine Lounge
Goodfellow AFB, TX (Instructor/Instructor Supervisor/Curriculum Development Manager) Made CTIC there
NSGA Kunia (Subsurface Direct Support Division Officer) all 637 class and 688 class (all 637s have been decommissioned) earned my dolphins, great times, made Warrant there
NSA, MD Retired after 3 years there

Great time with great folks. I DO miss the people but don't miss the PC attitude that creeped into the warrior culture.

xobxdoc

'76-78 Rode it to the yards in Long Beach

My ship went to Long Beach to load weapons in preps for West Pac. I was on an all hands working party taking on rounds for our 5" gun. In the very cramped compartment where I was, there was this deck ape sitting in a chair holding a fire hose. I asked him what he was doing. He said he was there to put the fire out if one of those rounds goes off. It hit me kind of funny.

Nuke ELT 80-84
USS Truxtun out of San Diego,
also did some time on USS Ponce out of Norfolk( that was like "doing time")

thurley42

HY;FR
My ship went to Long Beach to load weapons in preps for West Pac. I was on an all hands working party taking on rounds for our 5" gun. In the very cramped compartment where I was, there was this deck ape sitting in a chair holding a fire hose. I asked him what he was doing. He said he was there to put the fire out if one of those rounds goes off. It hit me kind of funny.

Nuke ELT 80-84
USS Truxtun out of San Diego,
also did some time on USS Ponce out of Norfolk( that was like "doing time")

I spent a little time on Ponce in 99 during Noble Anvil. Glad that it was brief and my only time floating.

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
LT USN (Ret) (Declined LCDR for Retirement! :howdy:)

Enlisted 13 Years (E-1 to Gunners Mate Missiles Chief)
Commissioned Officer 11 Years (O-1E to O-3E)(LDO Surface Combat Systems)

1980 - USN Boot Camp, Orlando, FL
1980-84 USS Julius A. Furer (FFG-6), Charleston, SC
1984-86 USS Waddell (DDG-24), San Diego/Long Beach, CA
1986-89 PCU/USS Mobile Bay (CG-53), Pascagoula, MS/Mayport, FL
1989-91 MK-41 VLS "C" School Instructor, Dam Neck, VA
1991-93 USS Hewitt (DD-966), Yokosuka, Japan
1993-97 USS Bunker Hill (CG-52), Youkosuka Japan (System Test Officer/Electronics Material Officer)
1997-00 Officer In Charge, Navy Center for Tactical Systems Interoperability, Det-5 Yokosuka, Japan
2000-02 Department Head, Urago Ordnance Facility, Commander Fleet Activities Yokosuka, Japan
2002-04 AEGIS Trk II & III Course Supervisor, Aegis Training and Readiness Center/Center for Surface Combat Systems, Dahlgren, VA
2004-Present Defense Contractor and Volunteer throughout my SOMD Community! :patriot:

Last edited:

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits
LT USN (Ret) (Declined LCDR for Retirement! :howdy:)

Enlisted 13 Years (E-1 to Gunners Mate Missiles Chief)
Commissioned Officer (O-1E to O-3E)(LDO Surface Combat Systems)

1980 - USN Boot Camp, Orlando, FL
1980-84 USS Julius A. Furer (FFG-6), Charleston, SC
1984-86 USS Waddell (DDG-24), San Diego/Long Beach, CA
1986-89 PCU/USS Mobile Bay (CG-53), Pascagoula, MS/Mayport, FL
1989-91 MK-41 VLS "C" School Instructor, Dam Neck, VA
1991-93 USS Hewitt (DD-966), Yokosuka, Japan
1993-97 USS Bunker Hill (CG-52), Youkosuka Japan (System Test Officer/Electronics Material Officer)
1997-00 Officer In Charge, Navy Center for Tactical Systems Interoperability, Det-5 Yokosuka, Japan
2000-02 Department Head, Urago Ordnance Facility, Commander Fleet Activities Yokosuka, Japan
2002-04 AEGIS Trk II & III Course Supervisor, Aegis Training and Readiness Center/Center for Surface Combat Systems, Dahlgren, VA
2004-Present Defense Contractor and Volunteer throughout my SOMD Community! :patriot:

I rode Bunker Hill on her trip to Qingdao, PRC. Had a blast! Was LCPO of the 3 man Cryppie team we brought onboard. Darn intel weenie let the Admiral know I was a Warrant select and I ended up doing the daily briefings on the trip over there.

oldman

Lobster Land
I rode Bunker Hill on her trip to Qingdao, PRC. Had a blast! Was LCPO of the 3 man Cryppie team we brought onboard. Darn intel weenie let the Admiral know I was a Warrant select and I ended up doing the daily briefings on the trip over there.

I was LPO of cryppie teams while in the Med. Hated doing the daily reports at the end of the day and having to wake up our officer to get their OK to forward it. Well not really. I was bunking with the crew and working late into the evening while the officers were sleeping in nice two person cabins. They'd wake up enough to roll on their sides and sign them off. I did work with some fine CWOs that really taught me a lot during my time.

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits
I was LPO of cryppie teams while in the Med. Hated doing the daily reports at the end of the day and having to wake up our officer to get their OK to forward it. Well not really. I was bunking with the crew and working late into the evening while the officers were sleeping in nice two person cabins. They'd wake up enough to roll on their sides and sign them off. I did work with some fine CWOs that really taught me a lot during my time.

I could have taken an assignment to Rota doing Sub Spec Ops again but we had young children (6, 6, and 5) and I don't speak Farsi, Hebrew or Standard Arabic, so I would have been pretty much useless. I had almost 22 years in by then so I just hung it up. We had great folks who I didn't mind passing the baton to. Being a Warrant was most rewarding, the Admiral always wants to know what's really going on, not what his Chief of Staff is telling him what he thinks he wants to hear.

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!

LOL, Sorry I don't remember you but I was a LTJG at the time and the Bunker Hills System Test Officer! :buddies:

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits
LOL, Sorry I don't remember you but I was a LTJG at the time and the Bunker Hills System Test Officer! :buddies:
LOL, that was the whole idea!

We were at Yokosuka for about a week before the trip, made the trip and went back to Hawaii. I had some great photos and momentos. The number of PRC military who toured the ship was incredible. I was commissioned June 1 that year (my son's fourth birthday).