Vets!

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
I remember having San Miguel in the PI. Nasty brew. Gave everyone horrendous gas; yes even the women. What a BLAST!

I liked Red Horse best, however what really stunk the next day were the people who mixed PI beer with Balut!!! Tear Gas would be a welcomed smell compared to it!!!

flomaster

J.F. A sus ordenes!
USMC Sgt, 1984-1992 MOS 6112/6172 CH-46 Mechanic then Crewchief

Marine Medium helicopter Squadron 365 and Marine Medium Helicopter Training Squadron 204.

Several Med cruises on USS Guam/Iwo Jima

Desert Storm/Shield and a quick trip into Somalia

oldman

Lobster Land
I was stationed at San Miguel and visited a local bar frequently. It was certainly not a high class place and our game was to see who could take off his shoe and use it against any rat walking along the rafters. It was tough to do after drinking all evening but made for a bunch of laughs. Another memory was me and another taking a bus way up the road and sleeping on the beach. Woke up in the morning surrounded by a herd of big water buffalo. Makes me smile now but back then my only worry was getting the heck out of there. So many memories of my 20 years traveling around the world.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
My wife (who I met at Norwich University in Vermont, where she was commissioned upon graduation), 81 - 94 USAF, out as a Captain during the Bush Sr./Clinton drawdown.

81 - 82 Wright-Patterson AFB, OH: AFIT - Master's in Electrical Engineering, 82 - 86 Eglin AFB, FL: Test and Development Engineer, 86 - 91 Offutt AFB, NE: Test and Development Engineer, 91 - 94 WPAFB, OH: Test and Development Engineer

She has an initial job offer at Pax River, which will get her back into the Test and Development field, which is why I'm hanging around this board.

Me, I enlisted in The USAF Reserve in 09/83, going to Basic at Lackland at age 26 1/2...

83 - 86 Duke Field, FL: 919 CES, (Heavy Equipment OPs and Pavements Maintenance), 86- 89 Offutt AFB, NE: 922 CES (as above), 89 - 91: 8078 ESS (Communications Security), 91 - 92 WPAFB, OH: 906CES HE and PM again)

She's really looking forward to this, as the past 17 1/2 years haven't been so fulfilling for her as when she was in...

b23hqb

PREMO Member
I remember having San Miguel in the PI. Nasty brew. Gave everyone horrendous gas; yes even the women. What a BLAST!

Drank many San Miguel's in Subic and Olongapo City. Not bad when they were only 2 peso per, at 7 pesos per dollar. I always thought the Korean beer we called tiger piss was worse.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Drank many San Miguel's in Subic and Olongapo City. Not bad when they were only 2 peso per, at 7 pesos per dollar. I always thought the Korean beer we called tiger piss was worse.

OB beer! :jet:

Just like nearly all of the countries in the pacific, the content was unpredictable from one to the next.

PsyOps

Pixelated
82 - 86 Eglin AFB, FL: Test and Development Engineer

83 - 86 Duke Field, FL: 919 CES, (Heavy Equipment OPs and Pavements Maintenance)

Was Eglin not the best place? Small town, yet always something going on in the area. And the best water and beaches.

Duke was a trip. On my second stint to Eglin (’93 – ’98) I had to make frequent trips to Duke to work on comm circuits. We had to go into this little ‘hut’ where everything got cross-connected. Sometimes a thunderstorm would roll through and you could see the lightning hit the runway. Grounding was so poor sparks would fly off the frame and pop a bunch of the surge protectors. I miss those days of old comm.

PsyOps

Pixelated
I liked Red Horse best, however what really stunk the next day were the people who mixed PI beer with Balut!!! Tear Gas would be a welcomed smell compared to it!!!

I remember Red Horse, but don't remember drinking it. I always wondered if it was named after an AF mobility org called Red Horse.

ancientmariner

Hello Branson
PREMO Member
IT1
Retired, USNR

Active duty: Jun 72 - Jun 76:

NAVCOMSTA/NAVCOMUNIT Asmara, Ethiopia Jan 73 - Jul 75
USS Worden CG-18, Yokosuka, Japan Aug 75 - Jun 76

Reserve Duty: NRC St Pete and NRC Tampa, Fl, 1984 - 2005:

COMSUBRON 16
ACU 1, DET 1908
MSC, COMIDEASTFOR, Bahrain

:drummer:
Hey, I was in Asmara at the same time you were.

I was a PN3 then and there from February 73 to NAVCOMSTA Closing Day in 1974. I left on the last flight out with CDR Noggle. I wonder if anyone ever reclaimed that van we left at the airport?

ancientmariner

Hello Branson
PREMO Member
OSC Retired in 1993

NAVCOMSTA Asmara Ethiopia (as a PN)
VS-28 (as a PN)
USS Puget Sound (AD-38) (as a PN)
USS Lasalle (AGF-3)
USS Richmond K. Turner (CG-20)
Naval and Marine Corp Reserve Center El Paso, TX
Carrier Group Seven Staff
USS Copeland (FFG-25)
USS Forrestal (CV-59)
NAS Memphis, TN

Last edited:

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Was Eglin not the best place? Small town, yet always something going on in the area. And the best water and beaches.

We really liked the area, 1st year we were grilling out the day after Christmas while we were living in the TQ. Really miss the fisherman's coop in Destin; shrimp fresh off the boat.

Duke was a trip. On my second stint to Eglin (’93 – ’98) I had to make frequent trips to Duke to work on comm circuits. We had to go into this little ‘hut’ where everything got cross-connected. Sometimes a thunderstorm would roll through and you could see the lightning hit the runway. Grounding was so poor sparks would fly off the frame and pop a bunch of the surge protectors. I miss those days of old comm.

I've always tried to stay away from the electrical side of things, sounds like they still had the WW 2 wiring in place. :yikes:

Those 4 PM thunderstorms almost every day, you could almost set your watch by them in the summer.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I remember Red Horse, but don't remember drinking it. I always wondered if it was named after an AF mobility org called Red Horse.

Can't be, would have been called "Pink Pony" then. :)

(...former Prime BEEF team member here )

PsyOps

Pixelated
Can't be, would have been called "Pink Pony" then. :)

(...former Prime BEEF team member here )

I was plumber my first 2.5 years ('85 - '88) and was in Prime Beef. I hated it. Palletizing was the worst. Of course I always hated getting called at midnight to start an exercise. But working CE was great. Some of the toughest and hardest workers.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Hey, I was in Asmara at the same time you were.

I was a PN3 then and there from February 73 to NAVCOMSTA Closing Day in 1974. I left on the last flight out with CDR Noggle. I wonder if anyone ever reclaimed that van we left at the airport?

Dude - just sent you a PM. Don't know about your van, but we who stayed on at the NAVCOMMUNIT drove every vehicle that was left behind. With pleasure, including the impound lot of bikes, cycles, personal vehicles, etc., before we started farming them out the the Ethies. Transportation was no problem for us.

ancientmariner

Hello Branson
PREMO Member
Dude - just sent you a PM. Don't know about your van, but we who stayed on at the NAVCOMMUNIT drove every vehicle that was left behind. With pleasure, including the impound lot of bikes, cycles, personal vehicles, etc., before we started farming them out the the Ethies. Transportation was no problem for us.

Did you get the van unstuck that was between the Wall and the School. We worked hard to get that one stuck in there...

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Did you get the van unstuck that was between the Wall and the School. We worked hard to get that one stuck in there...

I cannot recall that particular vehicle - but I do remember the International Scout we were given as a duty vehicle - 4W drive - was a blast to rip around Asmara....that thing was a tank.....

Nope, there is no E10 pay grade.
MCPON is still an E9.

The two letters followed by a number denotes your job type and rank (MOS to you guys, Navy Enlisted Classification) to us). Follows a few conventions. Mostly just two letters from that job, AO being aviation ordnanceman, ET being electronics technician, AG being Aerographers Mate, or weather guesser:) Ranks expressed as AN - Airman, Seaman - SN, for E-1 through E-3, while E-4 through E-6 are Petty Officer third class (AO3) through Petty Officer first class, (ET1) E-7 through E-9 (only one E-10 in the Navy) being Chief (AWC), Senior Chief (AOCS) and Master Chief (ETCM) Lots of details, but thats the basics.

First letter

Squadron designations.

First letter = type

V=fixed wing

Second letter = mission

P= Patrol

(squadrons with multiple missions lead to ones like VAQ, or HSL, of VFA)

Number is simple which squadron of that type you are. SO any Navy person can see at a glance what sort of aircraft you were involved with.

ancientmariner

Hello Branson
PREMO Member
As I recall that Scout was LTJG Spatts vehicle. I grabbed it from the motor pool whenever I could. I loved to drive it too.