Volunteerism - CRE style

ladyhawk

Are we really going broke? Broke is subjective in terms. POACRE owns the common properities and amenities..so until it would be forced to sell to stay afloat...it won't be broke. Is the community "broken" - yes. Is POACRE going broke - probably...especially if we looked long term...see other answers below. ......
Feels like the Titanic and we are just moving furniture...and sinking..but very slowly.

Again, priorities for expenditures have been submitted for this year, and the admin building (multiple items) will most likely take up most of the funds prior to anything else, except costs of litigations.

Nicely Put!

June

ladyhawk

Jbeckman, I appreciate the answer. I have to agree with Baywatchv8. but, It is not your fault. You do not have the answers that everyone wants to here. No one does. You have your opinion and that was my point with the questions.

We do not speak as a community. No one knows what the community wants. No one is held accountable to even figuring it out.

Politicians should be the ones uniting us. They need our votes. This is not the case for many reasons.

We should unite ourselves. I think we already do in our enclaves. Unfortunately the unity stops there. Only the negative points get broadcast when people finally get feed up.

Thanks anyway

As I've said before, POACRE has always fought with Government officials (County and State levels, not sure about the Federal level). This is the main reason we have such a difficult time. Instead of being angry and demanding there is such a thing as simply asking and working together so POACRE could be a benefit to our neighboring community's and an asset to the State.

In trying to be a Good Neighbor, POACRE will have it's hands full because of the past. When there was positive progress, a new board gets elected, comes in and turns it all upside down again... I am hoping that the extension of officer terms will help that. But only time will tell if it was beneficial or not.

Whoever you vote for in the next July election, will be the one to hold the first two year term. For this to work, the board and members of the board need to be closely watched for any deviations of our governing documents....

June

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
RE: Cliffs

We are litigating ($70k plus)...

This waste of money is what pisses people off. :mad:

This shouldn't be a concern of the association. Those homeowners can ban together and use their own money to save the cliffs if they want to. Anyone who buys waterfront property knows that they are one good storm away from devastation.

No one in their right mind should ever vote for another fee increase when $70,000.00 could've/should've been used to upkeep the actual amenities.

ladyhawk

The answers that were given were like all the others I read on here or when CRE forum was open to all residents of the Ranch, from people that didn't necessarily have the answers but tried to sound like they did. For example

“Do we ever plan on paving all the roads? Per many BOD, past and present, management, committee members...highly unlikely. However, homeowners along one roadway could, together, request the county pave and take over their roadway...under a Road Tax District...which could be a fix rate, paid through your taxes, spread over 30 years. However, while an POACRE Association, and STD you would still be obligated to pay the road fees and the STD. But your road could be done.”

This answer gives the impression that the county will pave the street and that the CRE BOD will allow this to happen. I have my doubts that anyone will agree or approve anything like this.

I think whoever said and/or posted this wasn't quite clear on what they were saying. I think they have confused a number of things into one statement. It helps if they could clairfy things a bit more or at least provide where they got their information but as you know most don't do this....

I was told by one of the Engineers who we were working with on the STD paving that the county will NEVER take over our roads for a number of reasons. One is the expense, the other has to do with the turns and hills in here. Even if we were to go municipality, I believe that the county could always refuse.

June

Baywatchv8

Please read post #53

I think whoever said and/or posted this wasn't quite clear on what they were saying. I think they have confused a number of things into one statement. It helps if they could clairfy things a bit more or at least provide where they got their information but as you know most don't do this....

I was told by one of the Engineers who we were working with on the STD paving that the county will NEVER take over our roads for a number of reasons. One is the expense, the other has to do with the turns and hills in here. Even if we were to go municipality, I believe that the county could always refuse.

June

hotcoffee

Here's a thought....

The people who say CRE homeowners don't care, basing this on low voter turn out, may not understand the association membership qualifications.

A member must be in-good-standing. That means they must have paid their dues [not easy in a recession when so many are in foreclosure]. Also, a member who has filed suit against the association or has a suit filed against them by the association, may not be a member in good standing.

In some instances a suit has been filed because they parked on the street in front of their home, or their child was riding a pocket rocket, or their dog was barking, or their trash is in the wrong container, and for some reason they didn't show up for the violations meeting.

Some think there are 4000 owners in CRE. In truth, the real number of members may be a little over 25% of that number. If we have 1200 members, a voter turn out of 350 members would be an excellent turn out.

Finally.... the ballot is hidden in the quarterly newsletter. there's a stamp on the front of the quarterly propaganda publication, taunting the ranting of king john, but it's definitely not well advertised. The majority of the ballots get tossed. Some of the people have to go to the office to get a ballot to turn in.

There's so much we don't have clarification on.... :coffee:

stsssn

Here's a thought....

The people who say CRE homeowners don't care, basing this on low voter turn out, may not understand the association membership qualifications.

A member must be in-good-standing. That means they must have paid their dues [not easy in a recession when so many are in foreclosure]. Also, a member who has filed suit against the association or has a suit filed against them by the association, may not be a member in good standing.

In some instances a suit has been filed because they parked on the street in front of their home, or their child was riding a pocket rocket, or their dog was barking, or their trash is in the wrong container, and for some reason they didn't show up for the violations meeting.

Some think there are 4000 owners in CRE. In truth, the real number of members may be a little over 25% of that number. If we have 1200 members, a voter turn out of 350 members would be an excellent turn out.

Finally.... the ballot is hidden in the quarterly newsletter. there's a stamp on the front of the quarterly propaganda publication, taunting the ranting of king john, but it's definitely not well advertised. The majority of the ballots get tossed. Some of the people have to go to the office to get a ballot to turn in.

There are allot of great excuses in this post. How can there be only 1200 members when more than that paid their dues on time. "Some think" there are 4000+ owners.... that is just silly.

Every "member" signed a contract with POACRE when they bought their home. All of the excuses are legitimate in the fact that few "members" are in good standing, but that is not the fault of POACRE. There are ways to continue to be a member in good standing even with the above mentioned issues.

1. Payment plan
2. show up to VTF meetings and plead your case/ settle the dispute

These are things that may make you personally mad but we are a community and if everyone does there own thing more people will be mad not less.

If the policy or procedure is in error or not fair it should be brought up. Not paying or responding does not fix anything.

How long should we go with screwed up policies.

It may seem easier to just blow off the community and complain. The members in good standing get to have an opinion of that. Their opinion is backed up by the courts (for now). (It is terrible it has to come to that. You would think we are all neighbors and could settle these issues as adults with disagreements. Instead we have big brother weigh in, then we dispute his opinion)

I think we all want to get along and not hurt anyone. You have to participate to have a voice.

Last edited:

hotcoffee

There are allot of great excuses in this post. How can there be only 1200 members when more than that paid their dues on time. "Some think" there are 4000+ owners.... that is just silly.

Every "member" signed a contract with POACRE when they bought their home. All of the excuses are legitimate in the fact that few "members" are in good standing, but that is not the fault of POACRE. There are ways to continue to be a member in good standing even with the above mentioned issues.

1. Payment plan
2. show up to VTF meetings and plead your case/ settle the dispute

These are things that may make you personally mad but we are a community and if everyone does there own thing more people will be mad not less.

If the policy or procedure is in error or not fair it should be brought up. Not paying or responding does not fix anything.

How long should we go with screwed up policies.

It may seem easier to just blow off the community and complain. The members in good standing get to have an opinion of that. Their opinion is backed up by the courts (for now). (It is terrible it has to come to that. You would think we are all neighbors and could settle these issues as adults with disagreements. Instead we have big brother weigh in, then we dispute his opinion)

I think we all want to get along and not hurt anyone. You have to participate to have a voice.

Did more than 1200 pay their bills or did more than 1200 accounts receive payments? There is one member who owns a very large number of lots... there are other property managers with multiple homes in CRE....

There are over 4000 homes in CRE....

When I asked the manager a few years ago.... he couldn't tell me the number of members.... when I asked the old accountant... she couldn't tell me the number of members....

That's just like... how many lots do we own and what is the assessed value.... they say a couple of million dollars is the assessed value.... I say it's over $10million dollars in combined assessment for taxes....

So the point is.... there are no concrete numbers for members or value or income.... so how can we say no one votes with we don't how many members we had to vote anyway....:coffee:

Oh... by the way... if my house was in foreclosure... there's no way in h__ll I would be paying the dues or the taxes....:killingme

ladyhawk

Please read post #53

I know North Carolina has something similar for rural areas where after so many homes are built along a roadway, the homeowners living along the road can make a request to the county and/or state to take over maintenance. The county and/or state then comes in, to determine the necessity of it and it is either accepted or denied. It's kind of like putting out a petition of those living along the road. But that was back in the 70's, I'm sure it has changed significantly since then...

Here is what I found in the Calvert County code:
"http://gcp.esub.net/cgi-bin/om_isapi.dll?clientID=118313"
PC/CodeBook - Code of Calvert County, MD

Chapter 104 Roads
If I am reading this correctly the county can take an application as long as those roads do not require deeding the "right of way" to the county. Because POACRE has recorded "right of ways" and is an established Homeowners Agreement, I don't know that POACRE would even be able to deed the "right of ways"....

There is a section specific to Homeowners associations but does not give the deeding of "right of ways" as an option.... 104-69. Homeowners' associations.

Regardless, the roads have to meet specific requirements (county standards) at the expense of the Homeowners association before they would consider acceptance. Then after getting them to meet the standards which could change during the process, I believe they might still find a reason to refuse....
But then that last statement is just my opinion...

June

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
I know North Carolina has something similar for rural areas where after so many homes are built along a roadway, the homeowners living along the road can make a request to the county and/or state to take over maintenance. The county and/or state then comes in, to determine the necessity of it and it is either accepted or denied. It's kind of like putting out a petition of those living along the road. But that was back in the 70's, I'm sure it has changed significantly since then...

Here is what I found in the Calvert County code:
"http://gcp.esub.net/cgi-bin/om_isapi.dll?clientID=118313"
PC/CodeBook - Code of Calvert County, MD

Chapter 104 Roads
If I am reading this correctly the county can take an application as long as those roads do not require deeding the "right of way" to the county. Because POACRE has recorded "right of ways" and is an established Homeowners Agreement, I don't know that POACRE would even be able to deed the "right of ways"....

There is a section specific to Homeowners associations but does not give the deeding of "right of ways" as an option.... 104-69. Homeowners' associations.

Regardless, the roads have to meet specific requirements (county standards) at the expense of the Homeowners association before they would consider acceptance. Then after getting them to meet the standards which could change during the process, I believe they might still find a reason to refuse....
But then that last statement is just my opinion...

June

The County requirements don't really change much, plus you sign an MOU prior to upgrading that sets out the requirements. Just look to White Sands to see how it's done.
You mentioned a municipality earlier. The roads/streets within the incorporated area belong to the Town (exception would be a State road like 261 in Chesapeake Beach) and don't have to meet the County standard because it has no control over those roadways. The Town would determine it's own standards under very, very general State guidelines. Where the rub is really happening now is in stormwater management, new State requirements are coming down that will be almost impossible for any entity to meet, especially since retrofitting of existing facilities will be required. Your BOD should be getting on top of this, by the way.

You're reading the County Code wrong, a roadway transfer requires the transfer of the right of way, that makes it a legal County roadway. You may have issues determining who owns it, as North Beach does, because various developers may hold documents granting them the ROW. It becomes a regular goat roping sorting that out.

Jbeckman

The County requirements don't really change much, plus you sign an MOU prior to upgrading that sets out the requirements. Just look to White Sands to see how it's done.
You mentioned a municipality earlier. The roads/streets within the incorporated area belong to the Town (exception would be a State road like 261 in Chesapeake Beach) and don't have to meet the County standard because it has no control over those roadways. The Town would determine it's own standards under very, very general State guidelines. Where the rub is really happening now is in stormwater management, new State requirements are coming down that will be almost impossible for any entity to meet, especially since retrofitting of existing facilities will be required. Your BOD should be getting on top of this, by the way.

You're reading the County Code wrong, a roadway transfer requires the transfer of the right of way, that makes it a legal County roadway. You may have issues determining who owns it, as North Beach does, because various developers may hold documents granting them the ROW. It becomes a regular goat roping sorting that out.

Where the rub is really happening now is in stormwater management, new State requirements are coming down that will be almost impossible for any entity to meet, especially since retrofitting of existing facilities will be required. Your BOD should be getting on top of this, by the way. And what does POACRE now about this now? I don't know any of it. Has the manager been looking into /following this?

CREResident

That's Right

I would guess that a lot if not a majority of owners are not involved because they do not know there are reasons to be involved. The newsletter (when the board does one) has very little useful information -- it does not openly discuss the issues in a direct way and does not invite members to volunteer. The ballot is still very confusing, especially about what envelope what is supposed to go in -- and because it is confusing, many people don't send it in... because they do not realize there are important issues to be concerned about.

Information is hidden from the membership in this way and kept in the dark. The last newsletter was awful. It had a one page rant from Eney.... that's what my money is being spent for? That and whale fossils....

Here's a thought....

O

ohsnoes

Where the rub is really happening now is in stormwater management, new State requirements are coming down that will be almost impossible for any entity to meet, especially since retrofitting of existing facilities will be required. Your BOD should be getting on top of this, by the way. And what does POACRE now about this now? I don't know any of it. Has the manager been looking into /following this?

Based on her continually miserable performance, I'd say no. Perhaps I'll print this out and drop it by the admin building so she can't say she didn't know.

Otherwise, here's a review.....Eney is hell bent on bankrupting CRE and most everyone else stands around scratching their a$$.

hotcoffee

I would guess that a lot if not a majority of owners are not involved because they do not know there are reasons to be involved. The newsletter (when the board does one) has very little useful information -- it does not openly discuss the issues in a direct way and does not invite members to volunteer. The ballot is still very confusing, especially about what envelope what is supposed to go in -- and because it is confusing, many people don't send it in... because they do not realize there are important issues to be concerned about.

Information is hidden from the membership in this way and kept in the dark. The last newsletter was awful. It had a one page rant from Eney.... that's what my money is being spent for? That and whale fossils....

Spot On!!!:coffee: