We dont have a semi truck section, so here goes

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I foresee their next market being trains. They’re already diesel electric, this would eliminate the smoggiest part.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Truck Driver Demolishes Tesla Semi, Feels It's a Completely Stupid Vehicle

Orynski focused his entire analysis on cabin usability. Tesla claimed to have “built it around the driver,” but he talked about several examples of why that is just nonsense. Starting by how much space it just wastes with its central seating position. While that is the one the McLaren F1 adopted, it works better on hypercars than on trucks.

The Polish truck driver also states that the central driving position makes it more challenging to look ahead and overtake. That happens because a truck is a wide vehicle. If you are in the middle of the cabin, you are far from the edge of the lane, where you have a better view of the traffic ahead. On a two-way road, that’s also where you can see oncoming traffic.

Truck drivers have to pay tolls, talk to people in gatehouses, and handle the paperwork while entering a factory or delivering anything. The Semi does not give access to a window. In fact, it has no windows that can be opened: the driver will have to get up from their seat, open the door and deal with whatever they need – even in the winter.

glhs837

Power with Control
I think these "takedowns" by looking at a video are a bit pointless. This guy thinks these things, but until he's sat in the seat and driven it, how can he know? Possible Tesla ignored the fact that drivers need to deal with people, but I suspect not.

PeoplesElbow

I think these "takedowns" by looking at a video are a bit pointless. This guy thinks these things, but until he's sat in the seat and driven it, how can he know? Possible Tesla ignored the fact that drivers need to deal with people, but I suspect not.
I do know cops asking a driver to exit the vehicle will not like how they have to do it.

Also know a driver that spits his chew out the window, he wouldn't like the fact there are no opening windows. I wouldn't want a car with non opening windows either.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Possible Tesla ignored the fact that drivers need to deal with people, but I suspect not.

Yeah And ?

So point out where you think this guy is wrong, break it down ...

Truck drivers have to pay tolls, talk to people in gatehouses, and handle the paperwork while entering a factory or delivering anything. The Semi does not give access to a window. In fact, it has no windows that can be opened:

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Like a myriad of other products developed by engineers, that never used a similar product, they miss the little things.

glhs837

Power with Control
Yeah And ?

So point out where you think this guy is wrong, break it down ...

Truck drivers have to pay tolls, talk to people in gatehouses, and handle the paperwork while entering a factory or delivering anything. The Semi does not give access to a window. In fact, it has no windows that can be opened:

I think they didn't ignore that aspect. But without seeing the truck up close, I cant say. As to his muddy boots problem, with that much room, you can keep a boot tray near the door and some cozy driving slippers :)

glhs837

Power with Control
Like a myriad of other products developed by engineers, that never used a similar product, they miss the little things.
Except that they have been using this, and working directly with big fleet customers right along. Which I think this isn't the problem this guy thinks it is.

PeoplesElbow

Except that they have been using this, and working directly with big fleet customers right along. Which I think this isn't the problem this guy thinks it is.
The sight issue is easy, I'm sure there are sensors, cameras and probably lane keep assist built in. I can't imagine one coming to a secure location and having to put the brake on, get up and take the paperwork to the door.

PeoplesElbow

Well one of the big fleet customers is limiting their trips to under 100 miles.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I don't get it. Restrict the soda trucks to 100 miles while the others go 400 (understanding the weight difference). But then to say, without any more real world data that they intend to jump to 400 miles with the soda trucks. If it was a matter of trust, it would be incremental... 100, then 200, then 300, etc... But from 100 to 400 with no real data and a published time frame to do it.

There is a very different reason behind the scenes as to why it's being restricted.

glhs837

Power with Control
So maybe the big fleet customers havent done as much testing as you think they have.

I didn't say they were testing, I said they were involved. We'll find out, and I suspect the reason will be pretty prosaic.
I don't get it. Restrict the soda trucks to 100 miles while the others go 400 (understanding the weight difference). But then to say, without any more real world data that they intend to jump to 400 miles with the soda trucks. If it was a matter of trust, it would be incremental... 100, then 200, then 300, etc... But from 100 to 400 with no real data and a published time frame to do it.

There is a very different reason behind the scenes as to why it's being restricted.

Could just be they want the real world usage of 100 to validate the heavy weight modeling. If the modeling proves out, you can skip a lot of incremental test points. My guess.