We dont have a semi truck section, so here goes

PeoplesElbow

I don't get it. Restrict the soda trucks to 100 miles while the others go 400 (understanding the weight difference). But then to say, without any more real world data that they intend to jump to 400 miles with the soda trucks. If it was a matter of trust, it would be incremental... 100, then 200, then 300, etc... But from 100 to 400 with no real data and a published time frame to do it.

There is a very different reason behind the scenes as to why it's being restricted.
Maybe they got cheaper trucks (smaller battery packs)?

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Maybe they got cheaper trucks (smaller battery packs)?
Greener technology.

507168fc-2570-41f6-abae-0d624e47663e.c16d0906cd49e5c97ad864890cca5cf6.jpeg

glhs837

Power with Control

Keep in mind, "problems" like not understanding how things work are not really reliability issues. So dumbasses who don't bother to read the manual and cant operate simple crap like the doors report problems that are not really mechanical issues. Like that guy in CA that was "stuck" in his Model 3 because he didn't know about the manual release, which was literally inches from his hand and is so commonly mistaken for the actual door handle that owners routinely warn new passengers. For CR, that's a problem that brings down the score. Like JD Powers, there's no real "issue or idiot" wheat/chaff sort function performed.

Most problems arise from other technologies they are willing to present to prove they are advanced enough.

Tesla’s overall score of 40 still puts it above the average EV score of 34. The most frequent problems among electric vehicles usually have to do with their battery pack, charging system and drive motors.

The low score of 34 makes EVs on average noticeably less reliable overall than hybrids, according to CR’s data. They don’t go too in-depth in the issue, though, simply stating that “as more EVs hit the marketplace and automakers build each model in greater numbers, we are seeing that some of them have problems with the battery packs, charging systems, and the motors in their drive systems. Owners of the Chevrolet Bolt, Ford Mustang Mach-E, Hyundai Kona Electric, and Volkswagen ID.4 all reported some of these issues.”

Note the list of charging and drive systems reports focus on other brands. Which are still learning that building EVs at scale isn't as easy as "delete drivetrain/install battery and motor". Nor is software integration as easy as they thought. Both of which lead into problems with the mechanicals and charging system. Although I would venture to say that most of the charging issues are due to a patchwork charging "network" whose universality is far more a hope than reality at this point.

PeoplesElbow

I was behind a Tesla that lost the rear window, shattered on the road in front of me. Pretty sure that's a knock on reliability

glhs837

Power with Control
Don't feel bad..I've spent a lifetime building - and defending - Ford products. I get it.

Every maker has good and bad points. Tesla is the same. Customer service (the real culprit in the Charging Stall that Stole Xmas) needs to be better. The vehicles are not perfect, nothing made by man is. But its become a meme to hate them and just go nuts. So I try and bring a little reality to it. No, a Telsa didn't go Full Self Driving in a Driveway in Texas and kill two men who were in the back seat by accelerating all by itself on the private road to 100 and crashing. No Tesla ever spontaneously combusted and blew up. They wont leave you to freeze to death in a traffic jam. I wonder whatever happened to the latest Killer Tesla, the one in China? That story died really quick..

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Every maker has good and bad points. Tesla is the same. Customer service (the real culprit in the Charging Stall that Stole Xmas) needs to be better. The vehicles are not perfect, nothing made by man is. But its become a meme to hate them and just go nuts. So I try and bring a little reality to it. No, a Telsa didn't go Full Self Driving in a Driveway in Texas and kill two men who were in the back seat by accelerating all by itself on the private road to 100 and crashing. No Tesla ever spontaneously combusted and blew up. They wont leave you to freeze to death in a traffic jam. I wonder whatever happened to the latest Killer Tesla, the one in China? That story died really quick..
You must have owned a Yugo at some point....no?

glhs837

Power with Control
:yay:

True, but I’ve never had a Ford truck tell me it was too cold to pump gas in the tank.

Ever had a fuel pump fail? I know I have, a few in fact. Luckily for me, the ones I've had fail were passenger cars where access was under the rear seat... Did my last one in the Dodge dealer parking lot on a Sunday with a screw driver :) The thing is, that guys car wasnt failing because it was cold. It was cold and his car was failing to charge. People charge in the cold all the time. This guys car was malfunctioning, the problem is that he should have been able reach Service, and he couldnt.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Ever had a fuel pump fail? I know I have, a few in fact. Luckily for me, the ones I've had fail were passenger cars where access was under the rear seat... Did my last one in the Dodge dealer parking lot on a Sunday with a screw driver :) The thing is, that guys car wasnt failing because it was cold. It was cold and his car was failing to charge. People charge in the cold all the time. This guys car was malfunctioning, the problem is that he should have been able reach Service, and he couldnt.
Dei machina.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Tell ya what.... if it's cold enough for my car, ICE or EV, to not work, it's too cold for me to be out there in the first place. I'm past being the tough guy and am very content to sit in front of the fire where it's warm and toasty. Screw the car.

PeoplesElbow

Tell ya what.... if it's cold enough for my car, ICE or EV, to not work, it's too cold for me to be out there in the first place. I'm past being the tough guy and am very content to sit in front of the fire where it's warm and toasty. Screw the car.
I had to go out in 6 degrees to pick up Christmas dinner this year and I've driven through the corner of Death Valley when it was 110 (Baker CA, world's biggest thermometer). Sometimes there isn't a choice.