We Need This Law in Maryland

B

Bruzilla

vraiblonde said:
Plus, I'm surprised at you - you'd go for some John Doe being able to report someone, then that someone receives a ticket based on John Doe's anonymous word??? And this someone now has to prove they are innocent of an anonymous charge???

What if John Doe could anonymously call in speeders, then those speeders would be mailed a ticket based on that call? Would you go for that, too? People piss and moan about red light cameras, but at least there you have a picture, not just some motorist's anonymous word.

Okay... so what's new? Did you know that a motorist in Maryland can already call in and file a complaint against you for speeding, wreckless driving, etc? The way these calls are handled now is that the police take the call, get the discriptive information, and put out an ATL call on the vehicle and driver. If the cops find the car/driver, they can stop them or wait to see if they continue causing problems. The caller also has the option of having the police issue a ticket and testifying against the driver in court.

I wouldn't condone callers reporting speeders because they generally have no valid way of determining how fast someone was going. What is the fine for "going like a bat out of Hell" or "flew right past me"? But non-interpretive things such as running stop signs and red lights, or throwing trash/cigarette butts out the window, I'm all for that.

There are hundreds of offenses that people can annonimously report right now, and I haven't seen any case made for there being a glut of false reports. I think that if someone would go to the trouble of filing a butt report on you, it's probably because you tossed a butt out your window.