Wear your seatbelts!

ZARA

Is that something the proverbial they wants to do, or is is being done already?

This already exists. The question is how far will it go?

http://la.streetsblog.org/2010/06/1...eathalyzers-in-vehicles-for-offenders-in-l-a/
Los Angeles will be one of four counties to require all licensed drivers found guilty of a DUI to have a breathalyzer placed in their vehicles. If a driver breathes into the breathalyzer and has alcohol on their breath, their car won't start. The pilot program will last five years and will track whether or not the devices have an impact in reducing the number of drunk drivers that are repeat offenders.
...Unless renewed, the legislation will expire in 2015.

What is a Car Breathalyzer?
A car breathalyzer is one of the last barriers to drunk driving prevention for DUI offenders who want to stay out of jail. A car breathalyzer, also known as an ignition interlock device, requires drivers to give a breath sample prior to starting their cars. If the breathalyzer detects a certain amount of alcohol, the car simply will not start.

SFPD Breathalyzer Error Puts Hundreds Of DUI Convictions In Doubt « CBS San Francisco
DUI Convictions In Doubt
SAN FRANCISCO (KCBS) – Hundreds, or even thousands, of drunk driving convictions could be overturned because the San Francisco Police Department has not tested its breathalyzers, officials said Monday.

For at least six years, the police officers in charge of testing the 20 breathalizyers used by the Police Department did not carry out any tests on the equipment

Smart Start Alcohol Monitoring
Smart Start® saves lives by Separating Drinking From Driving®
Smart Start ignition interlock products are breath alcohol analyzers that keep drivers with DWIs/DUIs from operating vehicles if their breath alcohol level is over a pre-set level. Our small electronic handheld devices are a cost-effective alternative to jail or license suspension, and allow offenders to keep driving. Smart Start is the only company in the industry offering fully integrated services – manufacturing, installation, service and comprehensive monitoring and reporting.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Never ceases to amaze me how many of you fall all over yourselves to give up your rights and freedom.

Ummm, okay.....what?? My post has NOTHING to do with freedom. It was a comment about a possible, feasable safety feature for the multi ton vehicle which can become a missile if one drives drunk. WTH does that have to do with "freedom?" Heh???

DEEKAYPEE8569

This already exists. The question is how far will it go?

My guess is, to be made standard equipment, while it will improve safety, it will come at an increased cost to the prospective new car buyer.
The question becoming, how high a cost? I haven't really researched this. Is there information about prospective costs to make this safety device standard equipment?

ZARA

My guess is, to be made standard equipment, while it will improve safety, it will come at an increased cost to the prospective new car buyer.
The question becoming, how high a cost? I haven't really researched this. Is there information about prospective costs to make this safety device standard equipment?

http://la.streetsblog.org/2010/06/1...eathalyzers-in-vehicles-for-offenders-in-l-a/

Later in the same article it discuses a program to help cut the cost of the breathalyzer, $75 for installation and $50 a month for monitoring the system, for low income people.

I haven't seen anything mentioned (yet) about making it standard. So far it is only for those convicted of DUI's.

rmorse

I agree. That's why all my cars are Model T's.