What laptop should I get?

Pete

Repete
vraiblonde said:
If you're going to be wireless, go with the M. You also want the 24x DVD/CD-RW

I love my Dell. I got an Inspiron 600m back in May and it rocks.
Where were you 2 hours ago? I got the Mobile Pentium 4 2.8G. the one with the M was $120 more so I went with the cheaper one. Already got the conformation email, and another one that said the order was passed to the factory for assembly. Will ship no later than Friday.

I got:
Inspiron 1150
15 inch screen
2.8MHZ Mobile Pentium 4
512MB DDR SDRAM
40G Hard drive
24X CD-RW/DVD
Internal wireless card
Wireless router
Free printer
Free 2 day shipping
17% off
1 year Tech/at home/mail in support.

All under $1200

Do I need to get a NIC for the desktop? Kizzy thinks I do but Dell web site said the router will plug directly into the DSL modem and I am off.

Last edited:

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
Pete said:
Where were you 2 hours ago? I got the Mobile Pentium 4 2.8G. the one with the M was $120 more so I went with the cheaper one. Already got the conformation email, and another one that said the order was passed to the factory for assembly. Will ship no later than Friday.

I got:
Inspiron 1150
15 inch screen
2.8MHZ Mobile Pentium 4
512MB DDR SDRAM
40G Hard drive
24X CD-RW/DVD
Internal wireless card
Wireless router
Free printer
Free 2 day shipping
17% off
1 year Tech/at home/mail in support.

All under $1200

Do I need to get a NIC for the desktop? Kizzy thinks I do but Dell web site said the router will plug directly into the DSL modem and I am off.

You did good. :yay:

I just made a huge order from Dell, too. This morning actually.

Got the wife the Axim 50 with 256meg extra flash memory and GPS (unfortunately, they are so backordered at this point it won't arrive until Jan 20th :( ) -- She loves her Palm 8 meg so this is a MAJOR upgrade I wanted to get her for Christmas. Good thing she also asked for a bunch of new kitchen items (I got those already), so she has something until she gets that.

The kids will be getting my old computer (son needs it too much for his middle school stuff and takes forever on it... so I needed a new one).

I got a Dell Dimension XPS 4, Pentium 3.46 Extreme Edition, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz memory, Radeon 800xt graphics card, 20.1" ultrasharp flatscreen, audigy sound card, and some other goodies.

Now to just figure out how to set up a nice wireless 802.11b network in the house, and all the computers/pocket pcs will be able to use the web/utilities/etc from anywhere in the house.

I'm making those Tim Allen Home Improvement grunting sounds about now...

EDIT: The router will function with your wireless card (wireless network) and therefore, you do not need a NIC. Remember, make sure you have not just used default network security settings once you set up the network. Make sure you have a secure network. I am still hazy on doing all this, but I am sure 2A can set you straight. I just know using default is like saying, "Hey! Come access me! Im set to factory install"... its an open wireless network till you get the security straight.

Last edited:

Pete

Repete
FromTexas said:
You did good. :yay:

I just made a huge order from Dell, too. This morning actually.

Got the wife the Axim 50 with 256meg extra flash memory and GPS (unfortunately, they are so backordered at this point it won't arrive until Jan 20th :( ) -- She loves her Palm 8 meg so this is a MAJOR upgrade I wanted to get her for Christmas. Good thing she also asked for a bunch of new kitchen items (I got those already), so she has something until she gets that.

The kids will be getting my old computer (son needs it too much for his middle school stuff and takes forever on it... so I needed a new one).

I got a Dell Dimension XPS 4, Pentium 3.46 Extreme Edition, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz memory, Radeon 800xt graphics card, 20.1" ultrasharp flatscreen, audigy sound card, and some other goodies.

Now to just figure out how to set up a nice wireless 802.11b network in the house, and all the computers/pocket pcs will be able to use the web/utilities/etc from anywhere in the house.

I'm making those Tim Allen Home Improvement grunting sounds about now...

EDIT: The router will function with your wireless card (wireless network) and therefore, you do not need a NIC. Remember, make sure you have not just used default network security settings once you set up the network. Make sure you have a secure network. I am still hazy on doing all this, but I am sure 2A can set you straight. I just know using default is like saying, "Hey! Come access me! Im set to factory install"... its an open wireless network till you get the security straight.
I bought an Axim when they first came out. I used it alot but now it sits in a drawer. :sad:

So I won't have to use my desktop at all? Just hook the router to the DSL modem and off I go? My desktop will still be here but it does not have a NIC or a wireless card so I will have to use a straight connection.

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
Pete said:
I bought an Axim when they first came out. I used it alot but now it sits in a drawer. :sad:

So I won't have to use my desktop at all? Just hook the router to the DSL modem and off I go? My desktop will still be here but it does not have a NIC or a wireless card so I will have to use a straight connection.

How does your DSL modem plug to your desktop now? It should be through a NIC/ethernet card.

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
Thats fine. For your wireless router (whatever brand it is), you will be able to buy (pretty cheap) a wireless USB adapter. It will the connect to your network. Just make sure to get one that goes with your brand.

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
This one is found on the Dell site, so you might ask them tomorrow if this will work with your router.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...=us&l=en&cs=19&category_id=2999&page=external

Thats a bit pricier than other brands, but its a dell accessory (so usually marked up a little). Linksys USB adapters for their routers tend to run $20-$30 for all you need. One of those may work with yours, but I am not positive. Without knowing your routers real brand (not Dell labeled) and its configuration, its hard to say which ones will and will not work.

Suz

33 yrs & we r still n luv
Pete-don't you work @ PAXR? I believe with dell you (even as a contractor) can get a discount.............. And if your retired check out the NEX website. 3 years ago I got two computers for the price of one when I just happened to log on the site on Dec 31st. It was a unadvertised special. My good luck and my son's profit............. for school.

Pete

Repete
Suz' said:
Pete-don't you work @ PAXR? I believe with dell you (even as a contractor) can get a discount.............. And if your retired check out the NEX website. 3 years ago I got two computers for the price of one when I just happened to log on the site on Dec 31st. It was a unadvertised special. My good luck and my son's profit............. for school.
Yes, my company even sent an email out last week about a deal they had witt Dell. It wasn't any better than the one I got already.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I just bought a Dell 8600 laptop and it arrived this week. Actually, it's the second one. I had so much many problems with the first one out of the box, they sent me a replacement. :duh: I'm hoping this one works better. :crossesfingers:

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
I'm a Dell-Head too. Still working with a home desktop though. Will be looking into a laptop I think though in a couple of months... I'll be sure to check back.. Interesting info!

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
I have a Dell X200. Excellent machine and very small.

My recommendation, forget about processor speed and pay additional for as much memory as you can afford. A slower processor with souped up memory will be quicker than a faster processor with minimal memory, given today's blimpware...

Secondly, check out Dell Outlet before you buy. Figure out what you want using the regular Dell site. Then go to their Outlet page and find it there. You'll save a bunch of money. My $2200 notebook was roughly $1700 when I bought it through Dell Outlet. And, it's still a new computer, but one that someone probably sent back within their 30 day evaluation period. Of about 6 Dells between home and work that I've bought in the last 2 years, all but 1 came through Dell Outlet.

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
Danzig, thanks for posting that coupon link. I only had 25% off, so I canceled the Desktop portion of my order and resubmitted it with the 30% off coupon. You just saved me $250!!!!

Good karma for you!
(Dont you feel gipped? I get 250 and you get good karma?)

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
FromTexas said:
Danzig, thanks for posting that coupon link. I only had 25% off, so I canceled the Desktop portion of my order and resubmitted it with the 30% off coupon. You just saved me $250!!!!

Good karma for you!
(Dont you feel gipped? I get 250 and you get good karma?)
You are turning into a regular "sleuth". :lol:

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
Ken King said:
You are turning into a regular "sleuth". :lol:

Can you help me hook-up the computer when it arrives?

:banana:

I would offer him a couple of drinks, but I cant figure out how to stuff it through the cable modem.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
FromTexas said:
Can you help me hook-up the computer when it arrives?

:banana:

I would offer him a couple of drinks, but I cant figure out how to stuff it through the cable modem.
Sure, I'll be over at 2:00PM yesterday. Fair enough? :biggrin: