what song are you listening to?

BOP

Remember the song "Those Were the Days," made popular by Welsh singer Mary Hopkin? Yeah, this isn't Mary Hopkin.

It's a group I'd only vaguely heard of called Leningrad Cowboys. I can't remember what song I heard some years back by them, and I dug it, but they got no airplay and I forgot about them.

Anyway, this is a different version of "Those Were the Days," which interestingly, was based on an old Russian folk song. It's got an interesting history, and a number of people have actually performed the song. Check it out. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Those_Were_the_Days_(song)

littlelady

God bless the USA
A little bedtime music.

Lamb of God "One Gun - Marine Corps salute."

Quite a mix, sha! Hub 'liked'! He wants to be active again. Maybe, they will be accepting 60 year olds at some point. He is fit, but I would have a problem with that! :lol: Thanks for sharing! :patriot:

Last edited:

BOP

I've never heard of any of these groups, and I'm not even sure how to categorize them. I dig the music, though.

Black Irish - "The Devil Makes Three"

BOP

I know I've posted Stephanie Trick before, and maybe even this very song. I can't help it, though.

Now, if you all will excuse me, I'm going to go build a bonfire with my keyboard.

BOP

Even though she looks like she might be homeless, she's actually a world-class pianist (as if you couldn't guess from the sound she gets out of the upright) from the Ukraine. They really knock me out.

BOP

So I listen to some weird stuff, which is why I was faithful listener of the Dr. Demento Show back in the day.

"Homecoming Queen's Got a Gun," the uncensored version. When you find out what they changed, you'll shake your head.

BOP

This song would probably be banned and Josie Cotton forced to write many abject apologies to the so-called Gay Community, in the early '80s when this came out, she was condemned by conservatives for promoting homosexuality. Some even went so far as to claim there was no Josie Cotton; that the song was an attempt by the gays to lure young men into homosexuality.

"Johnny Are You Queer?" by Josie Cotton and some guy that looks like a young Nick Nolte.

BOP

Eddie Van Halen's dad? I think he was waiting for rock and roll to be invented, but he came along a little too soon.

BOP

I'm reading and listening to some old blues - Mississippi Fred McDowell, Blind Willie McTell, Big Bill Broonzy, and so on.

This is Booker White and the "Aberdeen, Mississippi Blues." We should start a separate thread for this old-timey stuff, huh?

RPMDAD

one of my all time favorites.

[video=youtube;Ihh_H5wHK-Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ihh_H5wHK-Q[/video]

BOP

I was listenting to old blues this morning (a continuation of last night), when this song came up in rotation:

"Merry Christmas, Baby" - Frances Butt and Keith Warmington

I liked her voice well enough to do a search on her, and found this one:

"Sometimes," Frances Butt.

BOP

Back to my regularly-scheduled blues for a Sunday morning. Always a favorite, Big Mama Thornton - "Rock Me Baby"

RPMDAD

Another Christmas Blues song.

[video=youtube;byUmBYyahQE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byUmBYyahQE[/video]