what song are you listening to?

BOP

I saw this on somebody's facebook page this morning. I feel like I ought to know who Richard and Linda Thompson are, but I can't bring them to mind. I really like this album, though.

"I Want to see the Bright Lights Tonight."

BOP

My wife and I ran into a guy by the name of Scott Williams out in California, years ago. Scott was playing the hammered dulcimer at a mall there, and it broadened my musical horizons just a little bit. I mean, I'd heard dulcimers, primarily the autoharp, of various types since I was a child, but outside of specific venues (like churches - okay, mainly churches), as a genre, it was never a thing for me. I had a bug this morning to listen to Scott, even though I have a couple of his CDs, and I ran across sisters Emily and Dizzi in the process. This is "Nothing Else Matters," by Metallica. It's not a difficult song; I've heard it covered lots of times on various instruments in a number of different genres.

BOP

Speaking of auto-harps; lots of people over the years have used auto-harps, including John Sebastian of the Lovin' Spoonful, Joni Mitchell, Robbie Robertson and The Band, Judith Durham of the Seekers, and of course Mother Maybelle of country music's famous first family, the Carter Family. Oh, and other folks as well.

Technically, the dulcimers, including the hammered dulcimers, fall into the class of zithers; into which the auto-harp also falls.

This is Mother Maybelle's granddaughter Carlene Carter and some famous friends playing "Me and the Wildwood Rose." "The Wildwood Rose," as you may remember, is probably one of the Carter Family's most well-known songs. Normally, I'd put this under country music, but I mentioned auto-harp in the previous post, so there you have it.

Last edited:

BOP

Back with some more Imelda May with the classic "Rollin' and Tumblin'." Diggin' the drum solo.

BOP

One of my subscriptions on youtube is BluesBroad. She uploads some awesome stuff.

This is Vintage Trouble with "Run Like a River." You don't get to see a member of the band crowd-surfing very often.

Last edited:

RPMDAD

Paying tribute to drummers.

[video=youtube;KQeqpEBaaqY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQeqpEBaaqY[/video]

Radiant1

Soul Probe
Mors Principium Est- Dawn of the Fifth Era

[video=youtube;GilkWgvgh1o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GilkWgvgh1o[/video]

BOP

I also remember a bright-eyed young woman from Wales named Mary Hopkin, whose big hit was "Those Were the Days."