What would it take to get you to move out of Maryland?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The illegal alien cop thread made me think about this.

If Wes Moore signed that into law, would it be enough for you to get the **** out of that place or nah?

I'm always curious why people stay in abusive relationships - why they don't just leave. And I get it on some level, just from my own experience: you get acclimated to it and beaten down, hoping things will change, knowing they'll just get worse, but paralyzed by fear. Bad government is exactly like that - an abusive relationship.

I know a lot of you are true blue Marylanders who would and have taken a lot of abuse but still there you are. What would it take to get you to move?

Not that I'm encouraging you - I don't really care how other people live their lives, I'm just interested in the psychology of it all.

Reactions: BOP

frequentflier

happy to be living
The illegal alien cop thread made me think about this.

If Wes Moore signed that into law, would it be enough for you to get the **** out of that place or nah?

I'm always curious why people stay in abusive relationships - why they don't just leave. And I get it on some level, just from my own experience: you get acclimated to it and beaten down, hoping things will change, knowing they'll just get worse, but paralyzed by fear. Bad government is exactly like that - an abusive relationship.

I know a lot of you are true blue Marylanders who would and have taken a lot of abuse but still there you are. What would it take to get you to move?

Not that I'm encouraging you - I don't really care how other people live their lives, I'm just interested in the psychology of it all.
My husband wants to leave MD upon retirement. His plan is to live in a skypark again and he has sent me info on properties for sale in other states. Factoring in crime, taxes and cost of living of course. One property was over 30 minutes to the nearest town. Ahh, that place would really have to wow me. I need space and prefer neighbors not be on top of each other. The home we owned on the CRE airport was too close to others inc the jerk that harassed me enough for us to move. I prefer someplace I can grow food and have flower gardens as opposed to strict rules about manicured lawns, etc. I prefer not having a HOA.
It won't take much to convince him to move but I am reluctant because I have friends here, another small business and I know my way around (for the most part). It is hard to make friends in new places and the only places I really want to live have snow and cold weather.
We have been in MD almost 20 years and despite being so close to undesirable places like DC, Waldorf, Baltimore- I like it here.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Nope, not a True Blue MD'er ... I'd need a job paying 2x as much as I make now

Hijinx

As a native of St. Mary's County, I have to admit that I love St. Mary's County. I love the river, and the people around me.
My family has been here since the 1600's and love of family and friends keeps me here. I have a friend I worked with before I retired and he is in Florida--Sarasota. He is in his 80's like myself he had a beautiful home in Sarasota, and i called him last week and he has his home up for sale and he is moving into assisted living because his back failed him and he could no longer take care of the place. It's sad to leave a place you own, and give up things you have had for a long time and be forced to move into an apartment at assisted living and then have to pay $3700 dollars a month rent. Anything you made on the sale of your home is quickly eaten up.

I have friends and family here, they don't have to get on a plane to see me if I need them. I have people here that I love, and I help them I have community that I am active in, The American legion, the Rescue Squad, the Church I refuse to leave that and go somewhere else, even though I could benefit greatly from paying less taxes on my retirement income, and perhaps have a Government that is not run by Democrats. But my roots are here. Unlike Baltimore or PG County or Waldorf I am safe here. Sure we have Lexington Park, but they mostly stay to themselves there and I don't go to Ollie's at night.

I dislike the politics in Maryland, but I am not moving. This is my home, my state I take the bitter with the sweet and fight the politics.

HemiHauler

I can’t imagine being so triggered by the politics of a state such that it would cause me to want to leave.

I was gone for 20-some years for a career and will leave if/when the mood strikes me to do something different.

This is the problem with you hippy retreads: the political is the personal and the political is the personal. It’s a religion for you freaks. You should move back to the 60s.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Moving has been on my mind since I retired, but to be honest, I haven't found anyplace I want to go that doesn't have it's share of the same or different problems. Yes, there are places that are better living, but they aren't where I want to be.

Also, it won't be very long before I need to move to an assisted living, or at least a major downsize. I don't want to go thru the hassle of moving now, and have to do it again in a few years. I'd kind of rather stay put for the moment and move once. To where, still don't know.

NOTSMC

I would have to win the billion dollar lottery. Then I'm going to move. Someplace nice; indoor/outdoor pool in my mansion, golf course for my boyfriend, outdoor kitchen/barbecue thingy for my boyfriend, huge self cleaning kitchen with a self cooking cook....and it will be someplace here in Maryland.

Oh and I don't give a good crap about politics.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I can’t imagine being so triggered by the politics of a state such that it would cause me to want to leave.

I was gone for 20-some years for a career and will leave if/when the mood strikes me to do something different.

This is the problem with you hippy retreads: the political is the personal and the political is the personal. It’s a religion for you freaks. You should move back to the 60s.

We're actually talking about government policies and laws that impact quality of life.

But you keep doing you. *cheekpinch*

OccamsRazor

I'm more curious if there's anything that could cause them to leave *right now*. As in, can't wait for retirement, must get out of here ASAP.
If I had to hazard a guess, I would say... nothing.
Since a LOT of people around these parts either work directly for or are dependent on the GOV, they are most likely making a lot more in this region than they would in most other places. Therefore, a move would cost them serious $$$.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I dislike the politics in Maryland, but I am not moving. This is my home, my state I take the bitter with the sweet and fight the politics.

So if illegal alien cops who don't even speak English started kicking in doors in your neighborhood and arresting everyone or shooting them to death on orders from the Governor, you'd stay put?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If I had to hazard a guess, I would say... nothing.
Since a LOT of people around these parts either work directly for or are dependent on the GOV, they are most likely making a lot more in this region than they would in most other places. Therefore, a move would cost them serious $$$.

What if not moving would cost them their life or the lives of their children?

Like, literal life, not figuratively speaking.

OccamsRazor

What if not moving would cost them their life or the lives of their children?

Like, literal life, not figuratively speaking.
Crime is crime. There are places where it is low and places where it is high. Are you suggesting an 'imaginary' scenario where the state is actually going door to door and executing people? Like Nazi Germany?

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Maryland might force me to leave simply by making me a felon simply by passing more anti-2A gun laws.

But economics are the primary driver for us leaving after retirement. Looking mainly at Montana and Idaho properties. What I can sell my St. Mary's property for will buy a LOT of beautiful property in either of those states.

I don't plan to completely stop working anyway. I'll have consulting work as long as I want it and I can perform that while living anywhere.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Crime is crime. There are places where it is low and places where it is high. Are you suggesting an 'imaginary' scenario where the state is actually going door to door and executing people? Like Nazi Germany?

I'm asking "what would it take".

"Nothing" is certainly an answer, I'm just seeing if they really mean "nothing".