whats up with???

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
lovinmaryland said:
i still don't understand why he felt the need to shot the dog more than 1 time.
Maybe the dog kept coming. Or maybe the cop is a psycho animal killer. Who knows?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Lenny...

Lenny said:
The dog looks close to 180-200# in the picture. If something that big attacked me from behind, I'd be drawing down on it too. If the dog bit him and if the deputy was smart, the first thing he would think is rabid dog (especially if the dog way lying placidly next to the door as he walked past and then attacked him).

I haven't seen the property but it's not unusual for there to be little room to get past a dog on a leash (chain? rope? How long?) and a fence or other obstacle. If the dog was peaceful (as the family makes it sound) the deputy may not have felt the need to detour 8 or 10 feet around the dog.

...time will tell out on the facts, especially the officers injuries along with the other facts.

Put yourself in his shoes; did he actually shoot the animal, several times, in the head and neck and throat...while the dog had a hold of him? Did he and the dog hold still in unison long enough for him to get off a couple clean shots? Or did he get bit, get pissed and then shoot the dog? A leashed dog? On someone else's private property? Where he, the officer, apparently, had no grave necessity to be?

Maybe something else? Doesn't sound good at all.

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
I dont even know what to say after reading that story, what a heart breaker. I wasnt there but it seems like there had to be a better way for this to turn out. OMG, I feel so sorry for the family, My heart goes out to you. RIP Max. What the hell is our world coming to?

SoftballCrazy

lovinmaryland said:
he could have called animal control before going around where the dog was, and then attempt to serve the warrant.

i still don't understand why he felt the need to shot the dog more than 1 time.

It wasn't a life/death emergency to get to the house...why couldn't the officer come back later?? Why take a chance walking by the dog? (I wouldn't be walking by a full grown shep I don't know, to get to the door that he might be protecting...I don't think I'd walk by any dog I didn't know on someone else's property, to get to their door...)

sockgirl77

Lenny said:
For the record I don't read KRAMA so any red or green will be wasted on me.

The woman (who looks like a nutcase in the St Mary's Today photos squatting before a poorly spelled bedsheet sign) says that the dog attacked the deputy from behind after the deputy spoke to him and walked past. The dog looks close to 180-200# in the picture. If something that big attacked me from behind, I'd be drawing down on it too. If the dog bit him and if the deputy was smart, the first thing he would think is rabid dog (especially if the dog way lying placidly next to the door as he walked past and then attacked him).

I haven't seen the property but it's not unusual for there to be little room to get past a dog on a leash (chain? rope? How long?) and a fence or other obstacle. If the dog was peaceful (as the family makes it sound) the deputy may not have felt the need to detour 8 or 10 feet around the dog.

It's an unfortunate incident. Too bad someone stupidly said "off the record" that a puncture wound didn't tear the pants. Rabies doesn't need much of an entry wound to cause its problems. When you're a deputy you spend a lot of time out in the country where the rabid animals live. I'm sure the shift notices in all the rural sheriff's offices warn the deputies to beware of rabies. "Let's be careful out there" (Hill Street Blues)
You are an ass. She is not a nutcase. She is hurt because she loves her dog.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
Larry Gude said:
...time will tell out on the facts, especially the officers injuries along with the other facts.

Put yourself in his shoes; did he actually shoot the animal, several times, in the head and neck and throat...while the dog had a hold of him? Did he and the dog hold still in unison long enough for him to get off a couple clean shots? Or did he get bit, get pissed and then shoot the dog? A leashed dog? On someone else's private property? Where he, the officer, apparently, had no grave necessity to be?

Maybe something else? Doesn't sound good at all.

More than once at least.

"In this case the deputy was attacked by the dog and bitten on the leg, ... to protect himself he shot at the dog until the threat was over, and apparently it took more than one shot," Montminy said.

Bay_Kat

Tropical
I can't believe St. Mary's Today put pics up of the dog after it was shot. They did put a warning, I guess they feel it will get the point across.

lovinmaryland

Bay_Kat said:
More than once at least.

"In this case the deputy was attacked by the dog and bitten on the leg, ... to protect himself he shot at the dog until the threat was over, and apparently it took more than one shot," Montminy said.

i read that also and thought, until the threat was over... if he was so threatend why did he walk by the dog in the first place? this whole thing could have been avoided if he would have called animal control from the get go.

sockgirl77

Bay_Kat said:
I can't believe St. Mary's Today put pics up of the dog after it was shot. They did put a warning, I guess they feel it will get the point across.
I am not suprised. They have no shame. I can remember them putting the pics of my dead friends on the front page just a day or two after their fatal accident.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
vraiblonde said:
I was getting ready to stick up for the cop and say that those people should control their animal better, then I read the story.

So nobody was home except for the dog, cop goes to the house to serve a warrant, the tied up dog bites him, and he shoots the dog. Is that about right?

Something's not right here. If the dog was tied, why did the cop get close enough to him to get bitten? That must have been some kinda rookie cop there. And how does this woman know exactly the path the deputy took if she wasn't even there?

:confused:
We are hearing only the owners side of the story, and of course the papers side of the story.. known for putting cops into a bad a light as possible..

They did say when the kid found the dog the chain was broken.. was it an unbelievably lucky shot, and one of the bullets the cop fired shot the chain, or did the dog break his chain coming after the cop?

I'm still siding with the cop on this one until I hear the rest of the story.

That and if the kid hadn't lived there in years, why was this address the one they had on file.. wouldn't it be the kids fault the cop was there in the first place? and I say kid, I have no idea how old the person is they were looking for.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I'm sure...

Bay_Kat said:

...they have the full blessing of the family; bigger impact for their issue.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Well...

itsbob said:

...we'll see and I usually side with the cops first as well, but, the idea that he was shooting this dog while it was attacking him ain't fitting to good. Baton, mace, sure, but I can't see rolling around with a dog and shooting at it that close to my body.

SoMDMama82

itsbob said:
We are hearing only the owners side of the story, and of course the papers side of the story.. known for putting cops into a bad a light as possible..

They did say when the kid found the dog the chain was broken.. was it an unbelievably lucky shot, and one of the bullets the cop fired shot the chain, or did the dog break his chain coming after the cop?

That and if the kid hadn't lived there in years, why was this address the one they had on file.. wouldn't it be the kids fault the cop was there in the first place? and I say kid, I have no idea how old the person is they were looking for.

I kind of see where you are coming from....BUT don't cops carry mace on them, why was the cop so quick to grab for the gun and not the mace??? Mace would have stopped the dog in it's tracks also, then the officer could have gotten in his cruiser and called animal control at that thme.
Seems like all the dog was trying to do was guard his territory, not something he should have been killed over :shrug:

lovinmaryland

Larry Gude said:
...we'll see and I usually side with the cops first as well, but, the idea that he was shooting this dog while it was attacking him ain't fitting to good. Baton, mace, sure, but I can't see rolling around with a dog and shooting at it that close to my body.
:yeahthat:

looking at those pictures, the owners look so heart broken, i feel for them.

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
Bay_Kat said:

It did get the point across. Made me cry.

JenArg

itsbob said:

It wasn't the chain that broke, but the choker collar. You can see it clearly in the pictures that are posted on St. Mary's Today.

Max, who was on his leash, allegedly snapped at the officer and then the officer allegedly shot Max multiple times in the head, jaw and neck, breaking his choker collar and leaving him to die 2 feet from our door.

Sounds to me that when the bullet slammed into this poor dog's head, it must of had enough force to snap his head back, causing the choker to snap.

I don't care if we aren't hearing the cop's "side of the story". The dog was clearly on a chain and not a threat to the officer, and even then, a dose of mace would of been sufficient. And if the dog was "guarding" the door, don't most houses have a front and back door? Why the hell was he even close enough to the dog to get bit?

I don't know about anyone else, but if I see a dog, who is on a chain, and protecting his home, I wouldn't get within 10 feet of him.

I'm sorry, but I just can't see any justification to why this animal was shot.

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
Bay_Kat said:
Exactly what they wanted, people will cry, get angry and that cop won't get a minute's peace. :yay:

If this story is even a little bit accurate, he should not get any peace.

Woodyspda

BS Gal said:
What's funny is that I am terrified of German Shepherds, but no other dogs. One of them bit my sister in the leg when she rode her bike past the dog's house and the other one was the one chained across the street for YEARS that would get loose once in a while. Actually, I would bring the dog water and treats, so he was friendly with me, but he was crazy if he got off the line. I have to blame the owner of that dog. That dog was neglected horribly.

That has got to be the most ignorant statement I've read on here. I guarantee that that sh&^head cop would have shot him even if he was fenced in. This is a case of an overzealous individual who did not follow procedure and will hopefully lose his job. I know of MANY friends who keep their LARGE dogs inside invisible fences. Does this mean that my dog will have a death sentence if she's visiting my friend's house while I'm out of town??? She will be on a wireless collar and WILL bark at you as you approach the property....... does this warrant shooting her?????? COME ON!!!!!!!! that shepard was doing what he was bred for and he suffered because some idiot was too lazy to call animal control.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Woodyspda said:
That has got to be the most ignorant statement I've read on here. I guarantee that that sh&^head cop would have shot him even if he was fenced in. This is a case of an overzealous individual who did not follow procedure and will hopefully lose his job. I know of MANY friends who keep their LARGE dogs inside invisible fences. Does this mean that my dog will have a death sentence if she's visiting my friend's house while I'm out of town??? She will be on a wireless collar and WILL bark at you as you approach the property....... does this warrant shooting her?????? COME ON!!!!!!!! that shepard was doing what he was bred for and he suffered because some idiot was too lazy to call animal control.
I said I am afraid of german shepherds, not that I'd shoot one. I have read the story. I do not agree with the dog being shot. My post also said that the dog kept tied up across the street was horribly neglected. Reading comprehension is your friend.