What's your favorite SoMD restaurant?

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Always a good meal at Jerry's.
Took my mom and dad there. She said it was the best crabcake she had ever had. I'm glad, because the very next day she went to the ER and never returned home (no, it was not Jerry's food...)
How beautiful that you could treat her to a fabulous meal, and could spend meaningful time with her on one of her last days on earth.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
If I may ...

Well .... there are of course exceptions to every comment. I do expect locally owned restaurants that offer seafood to acquire their crab and oysters from local fish boats. However, even local, non-chain, restaurants, in order to compete, need to source the majority of their main offerings, and ingredients, from places like SYSCO because of their buying power and hence, saving restaurants money. Most, but not all. I was painting with a wide brush.
Again, not true. Most good locally owned restaurants avoid Sysco, etc. because of quality. Companies that only sell entrees you put in the microwave, the fryer, or boiling water, YUCK. They buy Seafood , Meats, and Vegetables from high quality distributors in Jessup, MD.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Again, not true. Most good locally owned restaurants avoid Sysco, etc. because of quality. Companies that only sell entrees you put in the microwave, the fryer, or boiling water, YUCK. They buy Seafood , Meats, and Vegetables from high quality distributors in Jessup, MD.
That certainly was the case when I owned my restaurant (Swanns) back in the mid-90s. Evans was still open back then, as was Oakwood Lodge, and we bought a lot of our meat, seafood etc from the same suppliers. We all bought a fair amount of seafood locally, of course.

wubbles

I did that once, it wasnt inedible, but was quite hot.
Once you get to know Joe the scale doesn't stop at 10 anymore. I never do that when eating-in during a workday but I've done some take-out orders that really had me sweating. I'm not really a heat freak but there's just something special about legit Thai food.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
A friend on FB says these work better than prescription decongestants.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
After all of the comments on here about Pier 450, I decided to give it a try tonight. Left Dameron and headed north and almost got to St. James when I decided on Pier 450. Turned around and drove ALLLL THE WAAAAAY to RIDGE! Turn into the parking lot and it's empty! Did you hear me - the parking lot was EMPTY! Sign on the door sez "We are taking a break and will be back on Tuesday." WTAF!! Didn't we just have a conversation on here about businesses closing early or whenever they please and you should check FB before going?!? Well I don't do FakeBook and I wouldn't check any businesses page before going, unless it's a case of weather or a nuclear disaster or I wasn't sure of business hours. But a popular restaurant that everyone on here is raving about should not be closed on a Saturday evening @ 5pm so I shouldn't have to check their FB page. (We did close the hardware store between 3 and 4 on Monday during the snowstorm. Not sure if I would close for a nuclear disaster - people will need blue tarps to protect themselves from the nuclear fall out)

So we turn around and drive ALLLL THE WAAAAAY TO THE CITY to eat at Pax Ale House, which is on my list of favorites - it is our regular (Regular as in at least once a month). They have the best crab cakes around in my opinion. Homemade on the premises, little to no filler. I have not had a bad meal there ever. And if I may have more than one restaurant as my favorite, I will list Island Hideaway and Charles Street. But we don't get over there as much - that darn bridge is a hindrance - I hate traffic! Hence the reason for Pax Ale House - 3 traffic lights and I'm there.

They open tonight at 4:00 meet me there and I'll buy you a drink

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member

I have the food to be excellent. Prices normal for the quality of food and portions you get. Great staff and owners who want you to have a good time

Foxy Fish

HemiHauler

Far from above average and far over priced

Hey man - if you don’t like it, you don’t like it. Far be it from me to change your mind. There aren’t a ton of good seafood places in southern MD, despite being surrounded by water. My theory for that is because there are too many cheapskates like you who live here and watermen decide to take their seafood up the road where they can fetch prices that are better aligned with the amount of labor that goes into getting fresh seafood to the restaurant table.

BUT, more importantly…. When you say it’s overpriced, that implies to me that you know how much items on their menu should cost. After all, one cannot logically make a conclusion that something is “over” priced unless there is a baseline for comparison.

So. How much should some various items at Foxy Fish cost?

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Hey man - if you don’t like it, you don’t like it. Far be it from me to change your mind. There aren’t a ton of good seafood places in southern MD, despite being surrounded by water. My theory for that is because there are too many cheapskates like you who live here and watermen decide to take their seafood up the road where they can fetch prices that are better aligned with the amount of labor that goes into getting fresh seafood to the restaurant table.

BUT, more importantly…. When you say it’s overpriced, that implies to me that you know how much items on their menu should cost. After all, one cannot logically make a conclusion that something is “over” priced unless there is a baseline for comparison.

So. How much should some various items at Foxy Fish cost?
Food (and everything else) prices have absolutely gone through the roof over the past year, so "over priced" is probably still just enough for total expenses and a little profit. Case in point, a 40 lb jug of vegetable oil would run you about $23-$27 in 2020-21. That same jug now is $43-$47

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Food (and everything else) prices have absolutely gone through the roof over the past year, so "over priced" is probably still just enough for total expenses and a little profit.

Black Francis just wants to show off his High Intellectual E-PeenI

aka be a dick

UglyBear

Just tried Thai Inter today - it’s awesome!!!
Mrs and I agreed that it’s the best Thai we had in the whole of the DC region.
The menu is familiar, all the usual staples, plus many interesting additions. The flavors are right, and a little bit more intricate than most.
Veggies are fresh — broccoli in Pad Se Ew is bright green, all crown. Lots of meat and egg.
Of course, in these times the bill for my whole family was $100, but that’s what it is. (Drinks, appetizers, etc).

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
The menu is familiar, all the usual staples, plus many interesting additions. The flavors are right, and a little bit more intricate than most.
Veggies are fresh — broccoli in Pad Se Ew is bright green, all crown. Lots of meat and egg.
Of course, in these times the bill for my whole family was $100, but that’s what it is. (Drinks, appetizers, etc).
We have dined there. I really like their eggplant dish.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
One of my favorite places. The pad normai is my favorite dish