When Did Bush...

F

Flo

Originally posted by SamSpade
Sure, why not? By the way, I like my ice boiling hot.

You can't, because being ungrounded in your beliefs and being sure of yourself are opposites. Unless you meant the 'charming' part to be all by itself, along with the self-assured part. We HAD that, in Reagan, but people hated him anyway.

I don't know what everyone else saw. I for one was damned proud of him. I've seen him be unimpressive on "Meet the Press" where he was just facing Tim Russert, where he seemed to just repeat the same tired phrases.

This time, he had a few moments where I said "amen!" to the screen. When he mentioned that our credibility rests on keeping our word to the Iraqis, you bet I said amen. When he answered those reporters determined to get him to admit failure and mistakes, I was glad he didn't wring his hands and tell them what they wanted to hang him with. When he said that the world knows now, when he says something, he means it - I said "you better believe it" - UNlike Kerry, for whom even his supporters admit says what he thinks people want to hear.

He touched upon his philosophy - that America carries a burden to support freedom everywhere. And it's clear for once, he believes it. See, talking about freedom is bullsh*t to people who don't REALLY believe in the United States, to people who honestly do NOT feel terribly patriotic. When you're a cynic, the world is a farce, and true believers are really just liars.

And he has a good point - that the best way to end terrorism is to spread freedom. The Middle East holds vast wealth in the hands of a very few, while the mass of the population live in squalor. A Middle East that is free and democratic and educated and well-fed has no need to create terrorists - developed nations don't breed terrorism, as a general rule. I'd never heard him talk much about it before.

And one other thing - I do believe he believes in what he is doing strongly enough to risk losing his job over it. He does believe that when he presents his case to the American people, they'll vote for him. But if they don't, he'll still keep at what he's doing.

Though he stuttered at times and stumbled, I was also was very proud of him. No, he is not Bill Clinton, and thankfully so, as at least I felt he was giving us the truth.

The message he gave was that the extremists will try to drag us down, and we can not let that happen. We can not be blackmailed, nor can we let the terrorists win. Freedom costs.

F

Flo

Originally posted by Kain99
Turn into a lily white pink wussy jerk off? Politics come first I suppose. Disgusting!

For Christ's sake! Why didn't he comb his hair! Furious!

Looked much better than fruity Kerry! :smile:

ylexot

Super Genius
About the whole stuttering, stammering, misspeaking thing...I do the same thing. When I do presentations, my head actually feels numb. I screw up the order of words and letters (like some sort of vocal form of dyslexia). Does that make me an idiot?

I'm not saying Bush is the same, but he could be. How can you tell? Listen to what he says, not how he says it. That means ignoring the vocal fumbles and slang (i.e. "nucular"). The policies and ideas are what is important, not if he looks confortable.

F

Flo

I also am not a good speaker, and am usually nervous. No matter how much I try to calm down, I get the jitters.

I believe that though President Bush has never been a great speaker, his sincerety and honesty are more important to me. I was giving him a :yay: through most of his speech. I guess I overlooked his mistakes and stumbling and heard his message.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by FromTexas
I think Kain is mostly disturbed by his obvious discomfort up there. A lot of interjections, pauses, stuttering, and such. It makes him look like an idiot to a lot of people who think politicians should be as good at making a speech as Hollywood actors do it on film.

I thought he looked tired.... which is understandable.
I also thought he looked like he had bedhead.
And I thought he looked sad, because of the higher than usual amount of casualties this month.

But I thought he said some important things. I especially liked when he said, "Nobody likes to see dead bodies on TV." followed up with something to the effect that war is not easy.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by vraiblonde
Bush deserves credit for not losing his temper with these freaks.

There were a couple times when it appeared that he was very close to doing just that, but he managed to restrain it.

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
"Tonight, President Bush failed to provide the American people with a plan to succeed in the vital mission of creating a free and stable Iraq. Instead of proposing real solutions, he danced around the issues and offered the same hollow rhetoric," Kerry said in a statement.

I guess Kerry means things like the following (taken from Sparx's "facts"):

If our military commanders request more troops, we should deploy them, and we should give our troops the equipment and the support they need to fight.

Is it me -- or isn't this what the President has been saying and said, again, last night?

The Administration has finally acknowledged their failures by turning to U.N. representative Lakhdar Brahimi to develop a formula for an interim Iraqi government that each of the major Iraqi factions can accept. We must let him accomplish this mission. And the United States should say in advance that we stand by the plan he proposes.

Is it me -- or did Bush mention turning over Iraq to the new government by June 15th? A government that has been worked on by all Iraqis over the past year, not just the Shiites or Sunis.

While the responsibility for security must remain in the hands of the U.S. military, the United Nations, not the United States, should be the primary civilian partner in working with Iraqi leaders to hold elections, restore government services, rebuild the economy, and re-create a sense of hope and optimism among the Iraqi people.

Yes, lets scrap all the work and progress that has been made and turn it over to the UN now. Who needs to give them a government by June 15th by staying the course? Lets scrap that and start over. Staying the course and completing is an answer.

The only thing Kerry suggests different is that Bush turn over our military and everything that has been done to other countries and the U.N. Thats his only difference. Yet, Bush didn't provide any answers. :rolleyes:

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
F

Flo

Originally posted by jlabsher
Read the fine print:

This is not a scientific poll.

It is on Fox News-fair and biased (I mean balanced)

CNN.com has 46% (97,000+) saying he wasn't convincing to 33% (70000+) saying he was.

MSNBC.com has a poll showing his news conference was:19% excellent, 16% very good, 12% average, 28% poor, 26% disaster - 63000+ responding.

And, CNN and MSNBC aren't biased?:rolleyes:

SamSpade

Read the fine print:

This is not a scientific poll.

It is on Fox News-fair and biased (I mean balanced)

CNN.com has 46% (97,000+) saying he wasn't convincing to 33% (70000+) saying he was.

MSNBC.com has a poll showing his news conference was:19% excellent, 16% very good, 12% average, 28% poor, 26% disaster - 63000+ responding.

Of **COURSE**. All online polls are biased. There's no control over the sample. Plus, there's no way to stop someone from 'fixing' it.

F

Flo

I don't usually believe polls. Who do they poll? Whomever they want to sway their poll...DC, New York, or other states where residents are known to be 80% democrat liberal? Time will tell in November. All the spinning, twisting, and hate that the liberals are crafting will not work to Kerry's advantage.

Last edited by a moderator:

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
I don't believe the polls either, but of course the fear, lies and obfuscation that the conservatives are spinning may come back to bite THEM in November.

Hessian

Coaching...

One thought I had as they Panned Condi et al, was as he prepped for this conference, and staged questions and coached over posture & attitude...they also came up with a list of terms, words, positions that the President MUST avoid.

The press are like bloodhounds...any whiff of some inuendo, gesture, awkward statement leads to a howling mob demanding more and racing around to spin a different angle.

I am perfectly capable of addressing a crowd ( I do 4 classes each day) but if I were coached to be aware of, avoid, and de-emphisize a whole list of things...it would make my statements jumpy, tense, and uncomfortable...hence: President Bush's appearance.

Imagine all the classified stuff he is not allowed to reference even though it might be a PERFECT response...yet he restrains his answers and still does not clearly win the point.

Try carrying on a conversation and you have a list of 30 phrases, terms, and positions you have been told you can't mention...?

F

Flo

I don't believe the polls either, but of course the fear, lies and obfuscation that the conservatives are spinning may come back to bite THEM in November.

From what I am viewing of the democrats and the 911 commission, one just has to sit back, view and listen to the crap coming from of the democrats on the commission. The bias by the democrats shown is gut-wrenching. :barf:

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
We all see what we want to see, of course I see the softball questions coming from the republicans on the committee, Barbara Walters asks tougher questions.

The commission will solve nothing, prove nothing, uncover nothing and amount to nothing like most government inquiries. It has placed the administration and security community on alert to clean up its act and provide better service to the public it is sworn to support and protect.

SamSpade

We all see what we want to see, of course I see the softball questions coming from the republicans on the committee, Barbara Walters asks tougher questions.

The commission will solve nothing, prove nothing, uncover nothing and amount to nothing like most government inquiries. It has placed the administration and security community on alert to clean up its act and provide better service to the public it is sworn to support and protect.

Isn't the whole point of the commission to be a fact-finding effort? Isn't it supposed to NOT be a political event? What difference does it make if they're softball or hardball questions? You ask tough questions in court, because you're out to WIN. You want to WIN the case for the prosecution or defense. This ISN'T *supposed* to be a competition. It's supposed to be an inquiry.

You and I both know it isn't, by the way.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Originally posted by Flo
From what I am viewing of the democrats and the 911 commission, one just has to sit back, view and listen to the crap coming from of the democrats on the commission. The bias by the democrats shown is gut-wrenching. :barf:

Isn't the whole point of the commission to be a fact-finding effort? Isn't it supposed to NOT be a political event? What difference does it make if they're softball or hardball questions? You ask tough questions in court, because you're out to WIN. You want to WIN the case for the prosecution or defense. This ISN'T *supposed* to be a competition. It's supposed to be an inquiry.

Then stop making it out to seem like one.:rolleyes: