When the levees broke.......

Qurious

Im On 1.
Ken King said:
The Federal government should not have done a damn thing, at least not until formally requested by the state, as is required by law. Doing otherwise places the Fed in a position of usurping state rights that would have raised as much complaining as the waiting caused, but waiting was all that they legally could do under our laws and form of government.
Blanco's formal Disaster Relief Request to Bush for help from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), which was also sent on August 28.

In it, Blanco says:

“I request that you declare an expedited major disaster for the State of Louisiana as Hurricane Katrina , a Category V Hurricane, approaches out coast south of New Orleans beginning August 28, 2005 and continuing.... I have determined that this incident will be of such severity and magnitude that effective response will be beyond the capabilities of the State and the affected local governments and that supplemental Federal assistance will be necessary.”

Can you tell me when the gov't responded? :popcorn:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Qurious said:
Blanco's formal Disaster Relief Request to Bush for help from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), which was also sent on August 28.

In it, Blanco says:

“I request that you declare an expedited major disaster for the State of Louisiana as Hurricane Katrina , a Category V Hurricane, approaches out coast south of New Orleans beginning August 28, 2005 and continuing.... I have determined that this incident will be of such severity and magnitude that effective response will be beyond the capabilities of the State and the affected local governments and that supplemental Federal assistance will be necessary.”

Can you tell me when the gov't responded? :popcorn:
I'm not even sure if that message is compliant with the requirements of the law to even require a response.

Under 42USC5191 it says,
"(a) Request and declaration
All requests for a declaration by the President that an emergency exists shall be made by the Governor of the affected State. Such a request shall be based on a finding that the situation is of such severity and magnitude that effective response is beyond the capabilities of the State and the affected local governments and that Federal assistance is necessary. As a part of such request, and as a prerequisite to emergency assistance under this chapter, the Governor shall take appropriate action under State law and direct execution of the State’s emergency plan. The Governor shall furnish information describing the State and local efforts and resources which have been or will be used to alleviate the emergency, and will define the type and extent of Federal aid required. Based upon such Governor’s request, the President may declare that an emergency exists."
If you notice the Governor never stated that the state had implemented it's emergency plan, what efforts or resources have or were being used, nor was the type and extent of assistance defined. These are all pre-requisites for getting the President's declaration, but I guess it was his fault again that Congress crafted the laws in this manner.

Pete

Repete
Blanco got spooked and threw her hands in the air before the storm even reached NO. "This is gonna suck :jameo: Come save us :jameo:

In this Feb. 24, 2006, file photo, some of more than 10,000 mobile homes are shown at the Hope, Ark., airport. Thousands of mobile homes collected to provide temporary homes for victims of Hurricane Katrina still sit unused in August 2006 at the airport a year after the storm ravaged the Gulf Coast, leaving thousands homeless.

Attachments

• trailers.jpg
    trailers.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 86

Jambalaya

SpicyHot
elaine said:
These losers saw their endangered loved ones as money in the bank.
:lalala: :lalala:
its hard to believe you believe in such rash generalized stereotyping as this. The MSM has really warped the reality of the situation both before and after the storm and the rebuilding.