When the levees broke.......

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Qurious said:
i've questioned that too....and then asked: who was he gonna get to drive the buses?

he hollered afterwards to get Greyhound down there.....

He TOO WAS RESPONSIBLE.

Half the people in New Orleans could have driven those buses.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Qurious said:
well the people weren't able to make that choice in regards to the buses...their mayor had to for them which he didnt which cost a lot of people their lives.

ding ding ding

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
elaine said:
Half the people in New Orleans could have driven those buses.
You don't know that. You have to have a special license to drive a school bus, I think. And I'll bet not many of those people were authorized to drive a school bus. Do you just want people to break the law?

:tap:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
vraiblonde said:
You don't know that. You have to have a special license to drive a school bus, I think. And I'll bet not many of those people were authorized to drive a school bus. Do you just want people to break the law?

:tap:

If I had to break the law to save my life, or the lives of loved ones...absophuckinlutely. These losers saw their endangered loved ones as money in the bank.

Last edited:

Somdmommy

:Jeepin' in NC:
I remember watching the Weather Channel when that storm was still on the east side of Florida. I remember hearing Jim Cantori (sp?) saying that the storm could cross over Florida and into the Gulf. Which could turn into a BAD BAD thing....

I'm sure they governement officals in N O have TV, and I am sure more than a few of them saw those reports.

Fact is, If you live in an area like that you get out way before the storm gets there.

The Mayor was an idiot for not getting his people out of there.

I can't believe you all forgot about the teenage boy who was walking out of town, spotted an empty bus, hotwired it and then filled the bus up with evacuees he picked up along the way towards Houston. I doubt he had a license let alone a license to drive a bus. He's a hero in my book.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
kwillia said:
I can't believe you all forgot about the teenage boy who was walking out of town, spotted an empty bus, hotwired it and then filled the bus up with evacuees he picked up along the way towards Houston. I doubt he had a license let alone a license to drive a bus. He's a hero in my book.

I hadn't heard about that, but it's reassuring to know that New Orleans has at least one smart cookie. :yay:

Look what I found! :clap:

Renegade New Orleans Driver Gets Movie Deal

Josh Peter has a fascinating article in today's New Orleans Times-Picayune on Jabar Gibson, the man who "commandeered" the so-called "Renegade bus" and drove it out New Orleans to escape the devastation caused by Hurricane Katrina. Peter noted that:

The first bus to arrive in Houston loaded with Hurricane Katrina evacuees from New Orleans was not operated by the Federal Emergency Management Agency or any other government authority. It was an Orleans Parish school bus, its driver too young to drink but already a convicted car thief. His cargo: 60 of New Orleans' poorest residents, the youngest a week-old infant and the oldest 59.

"The police was leaving people behind," Gibson is quoted as saying. "I had to pick up people on the bus. The police didn't want to do nothing. We stepped up and did what we had to do."

Peter said Gibson "declined to say more because he since has agreed to a movie deal that prohibits interviews."

mAlice

professional daydreamer
kwillia said:
Look what I found! :clap:

Renegade New Orleans Driver Gets Movie Deal

Josh Peter has a fascinating article in today's New Orleans Times-Picayune on Jabar Gibson, the man who "commandeered" the so-called "Renegade bus" and drove it out New Orleans to escape the devastation caused by Hurricane Katrina. Peter noted that:

The first bus to arrive in Houston loaded with Hurricane Katrina evacuees from New Orleans was not operated by the Federal Emergency Management Agency or any other government authority. It was an Orleans Parish school bus, its driver too young to drink but already a convicted car thief. His cargo: 60 of New Orleans' poorest residents, the youngest a week-old infant and the oldest 59.

"The police was leaving people behind," Gibson is quoted as saying. "I had to pick up people on the bus. The police didn't want to do nothing. We stepped up and did what we had to do."

Peter said Gibson "declined to say more because he since has agreed to a movie deal that prohibits interviews."

Gee, were these the gubments police, or New Orleans police?

harleygirl

Working for the weekend
I watched it last night, but I am so much of a documentary freak I am fascinated by the mating of the african ant, as long as it is a documentary. Of course Spike put his own spin on it, but I was fascinated with the amount of destruction that I saw, the news folks at the time were more interested in showing dead people at the Superdome than showing the actual damage. As far as folks not evacuating, I think either they ignore the news altogether, or because there is so much "the sky is falling" :jameo: they do not believe that this could have happened. It amazes me the amount of people that do not keep up with current events. Mistakes were made from the top our government, down to the citizens not taking the warning seriously and actually paying attention to what they were told. Hopefully lessons were learned, and history will not repeat itself.

Angel

~*~*~
Seems to me, that all of the "Victims of Katrina" who are complaining how the Government didn't help them, were already mooching money off of the Government to begin with. How's the old saying go, "don't bite the hand that feeds you"? Maybe they should have taken care of themselves to begin with, instead of spending my hard earned money in the first place.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
If it keeps on rainin, levees goin to break,
If it keeps on rainin, levees goin to break,
When the levee breaks Ill have no place to stay.
Mean old levee taught me to weep and moan,
Lord, mean old levee taught me to weep and moan,
Got what it takes to make a mountain man leave his home,
Oh, well, oh, well, oh, well.
Dont it make you feel bad
When youre tryin to find your way home,
You dont know which way to go?
If youre goin down south
They go no work to do,
If you dont know about chicago.
Cryin wont help you, prayin wont do you no good,
Now, cryin wont help you, prayin wont do you no good,
When the levee breaks, mama, you got to move.
All last night sat on the levee and moaned,
All last night sat on the levee and moaned,
Thinkin bout me baby and my happy home.
Going, gon to chicago,
Gon to chicago,
Sorry but I cant take you.
Going down, going down now, going down.

mdgirlie

I am going to say this, and I know that I am going to receive flack from you guys but who cares because you people seem careless about the issue anyways. How can you look down on anyone that suffered during and after Katrina? The main fact is that these people needed help and that these people suffered. Not all of these people were looting TVs. Not all of these people were seeking trouble. And definitely not all of these people had access to a ride out of town. So what makes you so high to say the most horrible things about these people that went through hell? Look at the people that were poor and where immobile, had major health issues, pregnant, adopted, sick in hospitals, in nursing homes, etc. How in the world could these people help themselves? What gives us the right to judge ANYONE?! If you were in the same situation, I wonder what you'd be saying now. When you die and get to the pearly gates of heaven and you are asked why did you say that these people deserved what was coming to them and how can you justify that you are a good person, what is your answer going to be? I think that we all need to take a seat and help each other if we can, otherwise if you don't want to, then don't; and if you have nothing good to say, then don't say nothing at all. Believe me, what goes around, comes around.
I was in a very small scale situation 3 years ago. I lived in a nice apartment and town home community. Our part of the community could only be accessed by two small bridges over a small river. One day it rained so much until the trees and soil eroded into the river and wiped out the bridges. All of the sewage got backed up. We couldn't drink the water and had no electricity. The only way that you could get out was by hiking 5 miles through treacherous woods, and that could only be done after another day of raining. It was an unexpected freak of nature and we had no warning. Of course I was healthy enough to hike to get water and food, but the elderly, pregnant, sick, and single parents with babies could not. After 3 days from the bridges being knocked into the river, we got water and baby formula sent to us by an extended ladder on a fire truck from the other side of the river. Fact of the matter is that things happen unexpectantly, when things are unexpectant and the transportation personnel and helpers like the policeman in New Orleans flee, what are you left with? Yes, you are entitled to your own opinions, but please be respectful.

I posted pics of what happened to me three years ago to this post. It was nothing too harmful like Katrina, so in this frame of mind, I can only imagine what they went through.

Attachments

• scan1.jpg
    scan1.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 73
  • scan.jpg
    scan.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

Angel

~*~*~
mdgirlie said:
I am going to say this, and I know that I am going to receive flack from you guys but who cares because you people seem careless about the issue anyways. How can you look down on anyone that suffered during and after Katrina? The main fact is that these people needed help and that these people suffered. Not all of these people were looting TVs. Not all of these people were seeking trouble. And definitely not all of these people had access to a ride out of town. So what makes you so high to say the most horrible things about these people that went through hell? Look at the people that were poor and where immobile, had major health issues, pregnant, adopted, sick in hospitals, in nursing homes, etc. How in the world could these people help themselves? What gives us the right to judge ANYONE?! If you were in the same situation, I wonder what you'd be saying now. When you die and get to the pearly gates of heaven and you are asked why did you say that these people deserved what was coming to them and how can you justify that you are a good person, what is your answer going to be? I think that we all need to take a seat and help each other if we can, otherwise if you don't want to, then don't; and if you have nothing good to say, then don't say nothing at all. Believe me, what goes around, comes around.
I was in a very small scale situation 3 years ago. I lived in a nice apartment and town home community. Our part of the community could only be accessed by two small bridges over a small river. One day it rained so much until the trees and soil eroded into the river and wiped out the bridges. All of the sewage got backed up. We couldn't drink the water and had no electricity. The only way that you could get out was by hiking 5 miles through treacherous woods, and that could only be done after another day of raining. It was an unexpected freak of nature and we had no warning. Of course I was healthy enough to hike to get water and food, but the elderly, pregnant, sick, and single parents with babies could not. After 3 days from the bridges being knocked into the river, we got water and baby formula sent to us by an extended ladder on a fire truck from the other side of the river. Fact of the matter is that things happen unexpectantly, when things are unexpectant and the transportation personnel and helpers like the policeman in New Orleans flee, what are you left with? Yes, you are entitled to your own opinions, but please be respectful.

I posted pics of what happened to me three years ago to this post. It was nothing too harmful like Katrina, so in this frame of mind, I can only imagine what they went through.
Did you not read about the number of people who were evacuated to The Superdome who were victims of raping and pillaging by fellow evacuees who were certainly not concerned with the pregnant, sick, and poor? They were too worried about getting theirs and then complaining that the Government who didn't give them their's during their time of need. Have you not seen the increase in crime in Houston, Texas thanks to the "Refugee's of Hurricane Katrina"? If they had any damn sense in the first place they would have evacuated and taken care of themselves.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
mdgirlie said:

Many of us lived through the ice storms a few years ago (5+ days without power) and what happened after Hurricane Isabel brushed us (another 5+ days without power and we were the lucky ones). The ice storms blindsided us, but we all pitched together, at least in my neighborhood, to help each other out. Hurricane Isabel hit parts of this area very hard and some people are STILL recovering from it. The people of New Orleans had ample warning that a category 5 was going to be a direct (or very near to one) hit on them. They were ordered to evacuate and refused. The very people who were sworn to help them (the mayor and police among others) didn't and the people didn't help themselves. I know if a cat 5 hurricane were bearing down on me I'd do everything in my power (walk, hitchhike, whatever it took) to get the hell out of harm's way.

The people who are howling the most about the lack of help are the very ones who refused to help themselves and continue to refuse to help themselves. I have absolutely NO sympathy for people like that. Get your butt out and help clean debris up in your neighborhood. Do whatever it takes and do as much as you can to help yourself and your neighbors, but don't expect the government to come in and do it all for you. I have friends down there right now and they've told me about the amount of destruction New Orleans itself has still after almost a year later. But in the same breath, they talk about people sitting around doing absolutely NOTHING to help their situation and expecting the government to do EVERYTHING for them.

The thing is they had ample warning that this was going to happen and still did nothing. They had an evacuation plan and didn't implement it. They had lots of warnings that the levees wouldn't be able to withstand a direct hit from a cat 4 or 5 hurricane and decided to use the funds designated to reinforce them for other things. Mayor Nagin and the state of Louisiana have a lot of explaining to do and continue to try to blame everybody but themselves for the mess they found themselves in.

Somdmommy

jazz lady said:
Many of us lived through the ice storms a few years ago (5+ days without power) and what happened after Hurricane Isabel brushed us (another 5+ days without power and we were the lucky ones). The ice storms blindsided us, but we all pitched together, at least in my neighborhood, to help each other out. Hurricane Isabel hit parts of this area very hard and some people are STILL recovering from it. The people of New Orleans had ample warning that a category 5 was going to be a direct (or very near to one) hit on them. They were ordered to evacuate and refused. The very people who were sworn to help them (the mayor and police among others) didn't and the people didn't help themselves. I know if a cat 5 hurricane were bearing down on me I'd do everything in my power (walk, hitchhike, whatever it took) to get the hell out of harm's way.

The people who are howling the most about the lack of help are the very ones who refused to help themselves and continue to refuse to help themselves. I have absolutely NO sympathy for people like that. Get your butt out and help clean debris up in your neighborhood. Do whatever it takes and do as much as you can to help yourself and your neighbors, but don't expect the government to come in and do it all for you. I have friends down there right now and they've told me about the amount of destruction New Orleans itself has still after almost a year later. But in the same breath, they talk about people sitting around doing absolutely NOTHING to help their situation and expecting the government to do EVERYTHING for them.

The thing is they had ample warning that this was going to happen and still did nothing. They had an evacuation plan and didn't implement it. They had lots of warnings that the levees wouldn't be able to withstand a direct hit from a cat 4 or 5 hurricane and decided to use the funds designated to reinforce them for other things. Mayor Nagin and the state of Louisiana have a lot of explaining to do and continue to try to blame everybody but themselves for the mess they found themselves in.

Somdmommy said:
I remember watching the Weather Channel when that storm was still on the east side of Florida. I remember hearing Jim Cantori (sp?) saying that the storm could cross over Florida and into the Gulf. Which could turn into a BAD BAD thing...

I feel sorry for the people who could not get out by themselves ( Old, Very Young, Sick people, Dogs and Cats) The ones that needed the help from the mayor and others.

I DO NOT feel for the people who could have helped alot of others get out. When I think about them not leaving knowing a Cat 5 was coming for them I just :jameo: I mean the people in OBX are out of there a week before a storm is SUPPOSED to make landfall, they all know its not safe there.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Somdmommy said:
I feel sorry for the people who could not get out by themselves ( Old, Very Young, Sick people, Dogs and Cats) The ones that needed the help from the mayor and others.
I feel sorry for them because the people who they elected and who swore to protect them didn't. And that's EXACTLY why you have an evacuation plan. You know, the one they had and didn't implement. :rolleyes:

I DO NOT feel for the people who could have helped alot of others get out. When I think about them not leaving knowing a Cat 5 was coming for them I just :jameo: I mean the people in OBX are out of there a week before a storm is SUPPOSED to make landfall, they all know its not safe there.
New Orleans has been hit by hurricanes in the past and knew it was always a possibility and almost a certainty that it will eventually happen. Last year, the worst possible scenario became a reality. They had a disaster plan in place and didn't implement it. They had funding to reinforce the levees and didn't. Whose fault is that? :shrug:

Somdmommy

What went on down there after made me sick.

I think I heard on the news not to long ago that some people went into a hospital down there and most of the bodies were people that had been murdered????

WTF is that??

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
So many thoughts...

I felt completely sorry for the Katrina people - until we got to meet them throught the magic of TV. Up to that point, you could pretend they were just like us and had a stroke of bad luck. Then you realize that so many of these people are merely government pets, dependent for their food, shelter, transportation, etc.

They did an interview with this group of young women, one of whom had a newborn infant. They were fairly hysterical, screaming about how this poor baby doesn't have any milk or anything to eat....with a perfectly good Mom and her boobs sitting right next to the baby.

Then there were the ones that made it to the Superdome, but were worried about family members, friends, pets, etc. One was distressed because they had a teenage child that was lost somewhere. It apparently didn't occur to them to say, "Sorry, Junior - there's a hurricane coming so you need to stay home tonight." One guy couldn't find his wife - how do you evacuate your home during a hurricane and forget your family????

This is the problem when a government keeps human pets for votes: at some point they'll need caring for that the state cannot provide. But, being pets, they don't realize that because when their masters let them down, what do they do? Go right back and lick their hands again.