Where are all the young professionals?

C6R_Mag

welcome to the greatly sardonic somd.forums.

im in my mid-late 20's as well and im sure you will only get a few good answers on here. i think most people that move here for work eventually find small clicks they run with, but usually ends up being people they work with. these forums are polluted with just angry or unemployed or old or know-it-all people. im definately not saying everyone, but i'm sure the examples will follow shortly after my post.

alot of people you meet in the southern md area (pax in reference) at some type of social gathering are locals or military. locals don't easily except "transplants". lol. and the cool military people are only here for a few years then transfer out. then ive noticed that alot of younger people around here think that after highschool, life is over and get married and start poppn out kids. again, that lifestyle was their personal choice and i could care less they chose it. just saying people you meet seemed to be tied down and cant hang with the boys or go out alot.

so your in a boat with alot of people our age. i guess i supplied no answer or resource, but rather a heads up. good luck.

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
I've lived in St. Mary's County for a year now and I can't figure out where all of the other young professionals are. Does everyone move up to DC on the weekends? I'm a mid 20s engineer and I've found it's very hard to make friends down here. Anyone else in the same boat?

Professional What?:confused:

thistle

im in my mid-late 20's as well and im sure you will only get a few good answers on here. i think most people that move here for work eventually find small clicks they run with, but usually ends up being people they work with. these forums are polluted with just angry or unemployed or old or know-it-all people. im definately not saying everyone, but i'm sure the examples will follow shortly after my post.

alot of people you meet in the southern md area (pax in reference) at some type of social gathering are locals or military. locals don't easily except "transplants". lol. and the cool military people are only here for a few years then transfer out. then ive noticed that alot of younger people around here think that after highschool, life is over and get married and start poppn out kids. again, that lifestyle was their personal choice and i could care less they chose it. just saying people you meet seemed to be tied down and cant hang with the boys or go out alot.

so your in a boat with alot of people our age. i guess i supplied no answer or resource, but rather a heads up. good luck.

Hopefully you saw this post:

http://forums.somd.com/meet-greet/116906-where-all-young-professionals-6.html#post2882822

dn0121

Resurrecting this thread...

I remember there being a few other people who were having a hard time meeting other young people around here. I would like to get a happy hour together this week. Wednesday at the Tides from 5-7. If you're 30 and under, whether single, married, or involved doesn't matter, come by and make some friends. PM me if you want more info.

I may go, but I am just getting home from a work trip that day. My gf loves the tides though so she may want to go too. Also only thirty for 9 more months :moon:.

Last edited:

thistle

huh? thats the one i replied to?

Oh, sorry, I thought that post might have got lost in the shuffle. I just wanted to make sure you knew about the happy hour.

To everyone who replied about being over 30, I don't mind if you come if you're really interested, that was arbitrary. I didn't reserve the place or anything, there's no charge (other than bartabs), and no one is going to tell you you can't come in. I hope this provides a good social networking opportunity to transplants to the area who want to make some friends.

Queenofdenile1

Love is Blind
I've lived in St. Mary's County for a year now and I can't figure out where all of the other young professionals are. Does everyone move up to DC on the weekends? I'm a mid 20s engineer and I've found it's very hard to make friends down here. Anyone else in the same boat?

Hi Thistle :howdy: Welcome to the forum. I'm new to the forums but as like "Stonecold", I'm not new to Southern Maryland. I've lived here for 20 + years and I'm currently 43. When I was in my late Twenties and early Thirties, I found it extremely difficult to meet people of any description unless I became an alcoholic and hung out at a bar by the water somewhere on the weekend. Unfortunately, I'm not joking. Now that I'm 43 and not an alcoholic anymore in order to meet people, I'm still wondering that million dollar question. My only suggestion is if there are young professionals you work with that you can also befriend on the weekend as well. I truely feel for ya.

Magnum

Should be Huntin

26 born and raised in Southern MD, full time job.... :shrug:

kelb

art imitating life

Totally agree