Where can I get a sonogram?

Poohhunny1605

Where did you go to the doctor? I am trying to find a new one. My husband and I are thinking of having another one and I want another doctor this time.

I went to Dr. Strider in Prince Frederick, Calvert OB/GYN. I highly recommend Dr. Strider/Dr. Tiralla, they are wonderful doctors. I ended up having an emergency C-Section because Mason(my son's) heartbeat dropped and my blood pressure sky rocketed to 110/150. Dr. Strider came in at 3:30pm to check on me, I hadn't had any drugs at that time; he had the drugs ordered, me in the OR and Mason out by 4:04pm..Which I thought was wonderful timing considering the circumstances. So, I definately recommend their services. The only problem is, you can go in for a 1:00 appointment and not end up leaving until 3-4:00. Thats the only crappy part about them.

missperky so did I. When I went to my appt. yesterday and she told me that, I almost fell off of my chair.

Chasey, thank you. It's her "policy" if there doesn't seem to be any complications. However, I am going to call around. I've had 2 m/c's and so far so good w/ this pregnancy but I am STRESSED due to my history.

You've had two m/c's and no sonogram yet?? That's odd.

Oh, and my doctor is Dr. Michelle Johnson in Prince Frederick. She is fantastic!

Last edited:

StrawberryGal

Sweet and Innocent
You've had two m/c's and no sonogram yet?? That's odd.

Oh, and my doctor is Dr. Michelle Johnson in Prince Frederick. She is fantastic!

My OB was Dr. Barbara Estes when I had my first baby. However, she was out of town when I went into labor (2 weeks early before my due date). Dr. Michelle Johnson was my OB doctor and did the emergency c-section surgery. I gave a birth to a beautiful breech baby boy on Easter day! :dance:

My second OB was Dr. Tilley and I had second unplanned c-section surgery. I wasn't too impressed with Dr. Tilley, but at least, he provided American Sign Language Interpreter during my whole pregnancy and birthing/delivery. I would have stayed with Dr. Estes, but the gas price was/is too high for me to be able to travel two hours (round trip). Therefore, I had to pick something local that is only 20 minutes away.

Dr. Polko may be GREAT, but she would not provide an American Sign Language Interpreter, so she get a :boo: from me. If she provided an American Sign Language Interpreter, I would have been using her as my OB doctor.

I LOVE Dr. Estes and Dr. Johnson. I would go back to use them if the gas prices aren't so high.:ohwell:

tyky

eieio
I haven't heard anything bad about any Calvert OB's, I went to HS in Calvert and only left there a few years back and all of my friends have had their babies at Calvert and I have never heard any horror stories about bad drs. Sbrocco delivered both of mine by Csection in which my first was done in the middle of the night and Naini came in and assisted, the 2nd was scheduled

spike2763

My second OB was Dr. Tilley and I had second unplanned c-section surgery. I wasn't too impressed with Dr. Tilley, but at least, he provided American Sign Language Interpreter during my whole pregnancy and birthing/delivery. .

Dr. Polko may be GREAT, but she would not provide an American Sign Language Interpreter, so she get a :boo: from me. If she provided an American Sign Language Interpreter, I would have been using her as my OB doctor.

Why did you need an interpreter for both kids delivery?

StrawberryGal

Sweet and Innocent
My second OB was Dr. Tilley and I had second unplanned c-section surgery. I wasn't too impressed with Dr. Tilley, but at least, he provided American Sign Language Interpreter during my whole pregnancy and birthing/delivery. .

Why did you need an interpreter for both kids delivery?

Because I am deaf and needs an interpreter for communication.

sockgirl77

Because I am deaf and needs an interpreter for communication.

Just curious, is it routine for the doctor to get your special needs or is it a special request? I'm just wondering if that is something that the hospital (or yourself) would handle and not the doctor? Dr. Polko bent over backwards to help me and keep me in good spirits. She hooked me up with the nurse that came every week to monitor my diabetes and pre-eclampsia. :shrug:

StrawberryGal

Sweet and Innocent
Just curious, is it routine for the doctor to get your special needs or is it a special request? I'm just wondering if that is something that the hospital (or yourself) would handle and not the doctor? Dr. Polko bent over backwards to help me and keep me in good spirits. She hooked me up with the nurse that came every week to monitor my diabetes and pre-eclampsia. :shrug:

It is a routine for the doctors to provide reasonable accommodations. Hospital also provide reasonable accommodations if you request for them and by law, they have to provide them (deaf or not).

I can't handle paying $100 or more per an hour for an interpreter for each doctor appts. and the labor/deleviring. Can you image what my bill would be like? It is not a tax decutible for deaf patients to use on thier taxes to get refund like the doctors and hospitals can file for tax decutible because it is "business" related.

Dr. Polko's waiting room is always packed and you have to wait 2 or 3 hours after your appt. to be seen. I think that's why Dr. Polko do not want to provide an interpreter. Over at Dr. Tilley's, he have no problems seeing me right away as he doesn't "overcrowded" his waiting room filled with patients waiting to be seen. I like the idea of arriving 5 minutes before the appt., and you get seen right on time right away. I never had to wait at all at Dr. Tilley's office.

sockgirl77

It is a routine for the doctors to provide reasonable accommodations. Hospital also provide reasonable accommodations if you request for them and by law, they have to provide them (deaf or not).

I can't handle paying $100 or more per an hour for an interpreter for each doctor appts. and the labor/deleviring. Can you image what my bill would be like? It is not a tax decutible for deaf patients to use on thier taxes to get refund like the doctors and hospitals can file for tax decutible because it is "business" related.

Dr. Polko's waiting room is always packed and you have to wait 2 or 3 hours after your appt. to be seen. I think that's why Dr. Polko do not want to provide an interpreter. Over at Dr. Tilley's, he have no problems seeing me right away as he doesn't "overcrowded" his waiting room filled with patients waiting to be seen. I like the idea of arriving 5 minutes before the appt., and you get seen right on time right away. I never had to wait at all at Dr. Tilley's office.

I am not getting into a dispute about this. I just think that it is asking a bit much of the doctor to have them arrange for an interpreter for every appointment. But, maybe I need that next time I go to the Bean Building for something.
Now, as far as the waiting time. The only time she's ever really backed up is when she has a delivery or emergency C-Section. That cannot be controlled. Wouldn't you rather her handle your delivery or pawn you off on the next doctor because her office is packed. However, I have been told that her office is faster now that they have hired the new help. Oh, and I'd rather wait 2-3 hours for Dr. Polko then deal with Dr. Tilley's ignorant ass.:shrug:

StrawberryGal

Sweet and Innocent
I am not getting into a dispute about this. I just think that it is asking a bit much of the doctor to have them arrange for an interpreter for every appointment. But, maybe I need that next time I go to the Bean Building for something.
Now, as far as the waiting time. The only time she's ever really backed up is when she has a delivery or emergency C-Section. That cannot be controlled. Wouldn't you rather her handle your delivery or pawn you off on the next doctor because her office is packed. However, I have been told that her office is faster now that they have hired the new help. Oh, and I'd rather wait 2-3 hours for Dr. Polko then deal with Dr. Tilley's ignorant ass.:shrug:

No, it is not asking a bit much of the doctor to have them arrange for an interpreter for every appointments. It actually helps keep the communication open and quicker than having to write on piece of paper going back and forth, which would take longer than half hour that can turn into an hour appt. No doctors wants to spend an hour with one patient just to write on piece of paper back and forth to make sure everyone understand. Have you seen the doctors' handwriting? You can't read a thing!

You can go to ADA website and looks it up. It have all the information what's reasonable accommodations and what's not, and why they have to provide reasonable accommodations.

It is very understandable that Dr. Polko have to go deliver someone's baby. I have no problems with having your own doctor to deliver your baby. I prefer that too because you built a trust relationship with the doctor throughout your pregnancy.

I don't think Dr. Tilley is totally ignorant. He is just "weird", but a good doctor. He knows his job very well except in understanding women's feelings and emotions. He need a lessons/class in that department.

A good doctor will provide an interpreter to help keep the communication line open and quicker without having any misunderstanding and frustration. Also, I don't think I want to feel very confused during my pregnancy if there are communication failure. I want to make sure I am doing everything right as I am supposed to do during my pregnancy.

I refused to go to any "Shah" doctors in this county. They are BAD in communication department, and I can't understand a word they say. Some of the Shah doctors get mad at me when I asked for an American Sign Language Interpreter, and they said "I speak English!". I told them it is not about whether they can speak English or not. They have an accent, and I can't read their lips or read thier handwriting.

Therefore, I think my health and my kids' health are way too important to go without having an American Sign Language Interpreter and bad communication to deal with.

I hope you can understand that. It is not about whose's responsabilities. It is about wanting to have an effective communication to make sure everything in your doctor appointment are understood correctly without any misunderstanding.

Last edited:

lovinmaryland

They give you a choice at her office also... you can either be seen by Anne Naru or one of the others that are there or you can wait to be seen by Dr. Polko when she is finished :shrug:

sockgirl77

They give you a choice at her office also... you can either be seen by Anne Naru or one of the others that are there or you can wait to be seen by Dr. Polko when she is finished :shrug:

Usually. I have not met the new person yet. I loved Anne. But, I was high risk so Dr. Polko would not let me see her during my pregnancies.

lovinmaryland

Usually. I have not met the new person yet. I loved Anne. But, I was high risk so Dr. Polko would not let me see her during my pregnancies.

I didnt mind waiting for her :shrug: I normally booked the late afternoon appointment and if she was running late I read and relaxed while I waited.

sockgirl77

I didnt mind waiting for her :shrug: I normally booked the late afternoon appointment and if she was running late I read and relaxed while I waited.

I watched The Rookie 101,784 times while I was preggers with Thing 1. With Thing 2 it was Cheaper By The Dozen. :lol:

:yeahthat: Saw that a few times.

Didn't know if you have already gone some place, but I went to That's My Baby Ultrasound, awesome place. In fact, my little one didn't cooperate at all so the lady there didn't charge us for the package that we ordered, since she was unable to get any decent pics. Good luck with your little one.

That's My Baby Ultrasound - 3d & 4d in Bowie, Maryland

We went there too. :yay: Too bad my guy wanted to sleep the whole time. :lol:

mrboswell

I'm 21 wks and don't want to wait until 28 to get a sono (my docs policy). Does anyone know?

Go to Breton Medical in San Souci. They would give you crack as long as they got paid for it. Ask one of the dr.'s there for an order..I would ask Cheryl Wyatt.