Where to store Wedding Dress???? HELP!

jenbengen

Watch it
Hello ladies, I recently got married and cleaned and preserved my wedding dress.. and as most of you know, it comes in this HUGE box.. once the dress is preserved, can they go up in an attic for storage or do they have to go in a temperature controlled place? anyone know?? Thanks for any help!

I didn't preserve mine and it is sitting in my mother's closet in FLorida until she kicks it out. :lmao: No intentions of preserving it. My daughters will take one look at it and laugh hysterically.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Laugh why? Because the style will have changed by then?

I would love to have had a wedding dress from my mother's era. She got married in a mini skirt though. :lmao: That is especially amusing to anyone who has met my mother.

aanderson

I wanted to wear my mother's wedding dress, but even after she preserved it the moths were able to get into it and eat holes in it. Plus it turned a nice shade of yellow. I really loved that dress though.

My wedding dress is hanging in a closet at my mother's house. I am trying to decide what to do with it. I really have no reason to keep it, but at the same time I cannot bring myself to get rid of it. Maybe in a few years I will be ready to donate it.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
My mother hated her wedding dress. I once expressed an interest in it and she told me there was no way in hell she'd let me wear it. I think she threw it away after that. Times were tough when she got married and she made her own dress. As a result, she absolutely insisted I have a really nice dress and an all out type of wedding. She was living vicariously through me. Whatever :rolleyes: she was paying.

Mom also paid to have my dress preserved and she kept it in her house until about a year ago.

BUT I would have LOVED to have my grandmother's dress. It was beautiful. Cathedral length train with a veil that was longer than the train. But she got married during WWII and you didn't just leave an expensive dress in a closet. And with lots of people getting married quickly because the guys were shipping out, lots of people didn't have time to get dresses made. Grandma gave the dress to a friend, who gave the dress to another friend, who gave the dress away to someone else.

KWAK

I had my dress cut up and made into a christening gown for my daughter.

It was in the box - so I'd never wear it again! Couldn't see it in the box.

Sweet 16

^^8^^
Thanks for all the replies, and good ideas! Didn't know there were places that would store them for you!! Sorry ChvyGirl about your wedding
My mom had mine preserved and stores it at her house. I don't know why I kept it since I don't have a daughter and I will most likely never be a size 7 again. I just loved my dress sooooo much! Will the box fit under your bed? Behind a large piece of furniture? Up the chimney flue? Just a thought.

JLS

My mom got married back in 1973 and had the beehive going and everything that day!! I couldn't have fit into her dress even if I wanted to.. Plus like the girl in My Big Fat Greek Wedding, I'd look like a snow beast!! hahahahhaa

JLS

Hopefully, one day VERY soon, I will have a child and can use it for a christening outfit :eek:)

JLS

My mom had mine preserved and stores it at her house. I don't know why I kept it since I don't have a daughter and I will most likely never be a size 7 again. I just loved my dress sooooo much! Will the box fit under your bed? Behind a large piece of furniture? Up the chimney flue? Just a thought.

Great ideas! I know it won't fit under the bed (box too big - high), don't have a chimney.. I can't get it in the top of the closets either.. haven't thought of behind a piece of furniture, have to think about that.. just thought since I have an attic, maybe it could go up there, but afraid to with the weather if it'll ruin it - and cleaning and preserving a dress is not cheap!! Thanks for the ideas! Will have to think about the furniture.. hmmmm...

M

Mousebaby

I kept mine for awhile. And I got married in a $40 clearance rack Fashion Bug (maybe Fashion Cents) courthouse dress. But eventually, my ex's cat pissed on it and I trashed it. I thanked her. :lol:

OMG!! Are you like my twin or something? :twitch: I also got married in a Fashion Bug clearance dress and got married at the courthouse! You scare me. Not to mention the price was very close to what I paid! That's just weird! But, I'm still happily married and I still have my dress preserved in my closet. :biggrin:

sockgirl77

OMG!! Are you like my twin or something? :twitch: I also got married in a Fashion Bug clearance dress and got married at the courthouse! You scare me. Not to mention the price was very close to what I paid! That's just weird! But, I'm still happily married and I still have my dress preserved in my closet. :biggrin:

I knew it was doomed when I noticed that there was a sign in the background of our wedding pics. It read: Old Jail. :lol:

yankee44

My wife rented hers (her idea, dont call me a cheap SOB) anyway it was a beautiful expensive dress that we did not have to buy.

Her thinking was why spend all that money that you will only use once.

Her enaligy was buying a wedding dress is like buying Limo, why?

sockgirl77

He got remarried on the anniversary of our divorce which just happened to fall on the day before our wedding anniversary. His wife is gonna be pissed when she figures this one out. Who wants to share their wedding day with that? :lmao: