Which religion(s) do you have a problem with?

Which religion(s) do you have a problem with?

• Muslim

Votes: 22 40.7%
  • Buddist

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Jews

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Christian-Catholic

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • Christian-Protostan

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Scientology

Votes: 30 55.6%
  • Wiccans

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • All of the above

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • Other

Votes: 13 24.1%

• Total voters

Xaquin44

If that is the case, then who is their god?. If there is one, then they no longer qualify as atheists???

atheist= a(anti) theos(greek for god)

no one is their god .... that's their whole point.

saying they don't believe in a deity =/= claiming they're god.

Toxick

Splat
But I thought JWs didn't drink alcohol, but my old neighbor and my current coworker dabble in the drinkage. :whistle:

No - they drink. I dated a JW many hundreds of years ago, and she didn't mind getting snot-slinging drunk and doing all kinds of freaky-deaky stuff.

Wouldn't wish me a happy birthday to save my life though.

So she had to go.

Beta84

They're out to get us
If that is the case, then who is their god?. If there is one, then they no longer qualify as atheists???

atheist= a(anti) theos(greek for god)

They don't have one. You're the genious assuming that because they denounce God, they are somehow proclaiming themselves as their own god. Why is it so hard for you to think that maybe they just don't believe in one whatsoever. Durrrr

Anyway, each religion has stupid beliefs if you aren't involved with it. Though scientology and the little aliens inside you kinda takes the cake :lmao:

MadDogMarine

no one is their god .... that's their whole point.

saying they don't believe in a deity =/= claiming they're god.

If atheists look to no deity for guidance,understanding and wisdom regarding the things of life,then,by default, they look onto themselves for such answers. That means their very own(self proclaimed) guidance,understanding and wisdom is the only truth regarding life. By that very act they are proclaiming their own thoughts are superior to all others.
They are their own god! For there is no greater, now is there?

Beelzebaby666

Has confinement issues..
:ohwell: This poll should have been single option. Now the results are screwy because you can also for for all of the above.

How can you have a probem with Buddhism??

I"m surprised so many people have issues with Wicca too:ohwell:

Radiant1

Soul Probe
:ohwell: This poll should have been single option. Now the results are screwy because you can also for for all of the above.

How can you have a probem with Buddhism??

I"m surprised so many people have issues with Wicca too:ohwell:

What single option would that be? :confused:

Why not? Buddhism (technically a philosophy not a religion) or Wicca, those too have some strange ideologies as much as the others. :shrug:

For the record I didn't vote. Although I choose to be a Catholic I find there is some truth and goodness in all religions but I could pick apart all of them if it came down to it.

That's what I mean. Nobody even cares enough about them to have a problem with them. It's like the whole billion of them don't even exist.

Good point. You'd think those bloodthirsty monotheists would be all up in arms over those pantheists. :lol: And have you seen that wacked out lookin' Kali goddess? :yikes:

morningbell

hmmmmmm
For the record I didn't vote. Although I choose to be a Catholic I find there is some truth and goodness in all religions but I could pick apart all of them if it came down to it.

I love all religions.... however I am not religious. I was born and raised Roman Catholic and while I have an appreciation for it I can't say if I will go back even though I have an aunt who is a Catholic Nun.

:lmao: I was thinking about going back to the Catholic church last week, I got a message on facebook from a friend who said she became pregnant after praying to St. Joseph in some church in NYC...... I thought about it for a minute.

I like the romantic value of the Roman Catholic church though.

Beta84

They're out to get us
If atheists look to no deity for guidance,understanding and wisdom regarding the things of life,then,by default, they look onto themselves for such answers. That means their very own(self proclaimed) guidance,understanding and wisdom is the only truth regarding life. By that very act they are proclaiming their own thoughts are superior to all others.

Wow, your logic is so...flawed. You sure you're not a chick? :lmao:

They don't proclaim themselves as a god you twit. They might look upon themselves for instruction, or other people, or maybe some book they read. They just take life as it is, learn from their experiences and other experiences they hear about, and just go on with life (I think they typically have a 'this is it' philosophy with no afterlife beliefs). Maybe they look at science for their answers (NOT scientology) instead of religion. Why is the earth the way it is? Creation vs Big Bang + Evolution. That's SCIENCE. It's not like they're saying "Hey dude I made this world and I control everything in it, ALL WORSHIP ME!" or something like that. They aren't making themselves a god. Not everyone uses religion to look for the answers and uses it for all of their guidance and wisdom. If you do, you're someone I want to stay FAR away from. And if you're not ALWAYS using religion to seek each and every answer, then are you calling yourself a god as well? Or did you get advice from a friend or family member and follow it? Are they your gods too? Didn't think so.

Here are all the definitions from dictionary.com -- none of which being remotely close to what you are thinking. They aren't deifying themselves and they certainly don't think they're supreme beings or in charge of anything but their own actions (and if they do, they're probably starting a cult somewhere :lol:).

God   /god/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [god] Show IPA Pronunciation
noun, verb, god-ded, god-ding, interjection
–noun
1. the one Supreme Being, the creator and ruler of the universe.
2. the Supreme Being considered with reference to a particular attribute: the God of Islam.
3. (lowercase) one of several deities, esp. a male deity, presiding over some portion of worldly affairs.
4. (often lowercase) a supreme being according to some particular conception: the god of mercy.
5. Christian Science. the Supreme Being, understood as Life, Truth, Love, Mind, Soul, Spirit, Principle.
6. (lowercase) an image of a deity; an idol.
7. (lowercase) any deified person or object.
8. (often lowercase) Gods, Theater. a. the upper balcony in a theater.
b. the spectators in this part of the balcony.
–verb (used with object)
9. (lowercase) to regard or treat as a god; deify; idolize.
–interjection
10. (used to express disappointment, disbelief, weariness, frustration, annoyance, or the like): God, do we have to listen to this nonsense?

HeadCase

IT's ALL RED
There are radicals in ALL religions. I've seen radicals stand behind the crucifix telling me I'm going to hell as well as the radicals that flew into the WTC that think we're all going to hell. Truth is NO-one is any better than ANY-one and if ANY one thinks they are then they are the fool.

L

luckystar

Wow, your logic is so...flawed. You sure you're not a chick? :lmao:

They don't proclaim themselves as a god you twit. They might look upon themselves for instruction, or other people, or maybe some book they read. They just take life as it is, learn from their experiences and other experiences they hear about, and just go on with life (I think they typically have a 'this is it' philosophy with no afterlife beliefs). Maybe they look at science for their answers (NOT scientology) instead of religion. Why is the earth the way it is? Creation vs Big Bang + Evolution. That's SCIENCE. It's not like they're saying "Hey dude I made this world and I control everything in it, ALL WORSHIP ME!" or something like that. They aren't making themselves a god. Not everyone uses religion to look for the answers and uses it for all of their guidance and wisdom. If you do, you're someone I want to stay FAR away from. And if you're not ALWAYS using religion to seek each and every answer, then are you calling yourself a god as well? Or did you get advice from a friend or family member and follow it? Are they your gods too? Didn't think so.

Here are all the definitions from dictionary.com -- none of which being remotely close to what you are thinking. They aren't deifying themselves and they certainly don't think they're supreme beings or in charge of anything but their own actions (and if they do, they're probably starting a cult somewhere :lol:).

God   /god/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [god] Show IPA Pronunciation
noun, verb, god-ded, god-ding, interjection
–noun
1. the one Supreme Being, the creator and ruler of the universe.
2. the Supreme Being considered with reference to a particular attribute: the God of Islam.
3. (lowercase) one of several deities, esp. a male deity, presiding over some portion of worldly affairs.
4. (often lowercase) a supreme being according to some particular conception: the god of mercy.
5. Christian Science. the Supreme Being, understood as Life, Truth, Love, Mind, Soul, Spirit, Principle.
6. (lowercase) an image of a deity; an idol.
7. (lowercase) any deified person or object.
8. (often lowercase) Gods, Theater. a. the upper balcony in a theater.
b. the spectators in this part of the balcony.
–verb (used with object)
9. (lowercase) to regard or treat as a god; deify; idolize.
–interjection
10. (used to express disappointment, disbelief, weariness, frustration, annoyance, or the like): God, do we have to listen to this nonsense?

Thank you. I just picked up on this thread and was about to tear this person a new one.

I consider myself an atheist, though I've been researching different religions for a while in any time I can find to see if I can find faith in any of them.

At this point, I believe that when I die, I'll just decompose and my particles will eventually become part of something else, whether it be a rock, a bug, a tree, or maybe even part of me will become another person. Matter doesn't go away, pieces of things always eventually become part of something else. That's all I can truly say I have faith in right now. I haven't been able to bring myself to believe anything else. I'm happy for those that can though, I'm sure it's a good feeling. I feel comfortable with what I believe my fate to be though. It's natural, and there's no denying that aspect of it.

If it turns out I go to Hell, Hades, or whatever else there is out there, then whoops. My bad. I'm only human.

Edit: as for an answer to the original point of this thread, I don't have a problem with ANY well known religion (with the exception of those crazy ones like the suicide cults). Only people that misunderstand the intentions of it. Why isn't there a choice for none in the poll?

Last edited by a moderator:

Beta84

They're out to get us
Thank you. I just picked up on this thread and was about to tear this person a new one.

I consider myself an atheist, though I've been researching different religions for a while in any time I can find to see if I can find faith in any of them.

At this point, I believe that when I die, I'll just decompose and my particles will eventually become part of something else, whether it be a rock, a bug, a tree, or maybe even part of me will become another person. Matter doesn't go away, pieces of things always eventually become part of something else. That's all I can truly say I have faith in right now. I haven't been able to bring myself to believe anything else. I'm happy for those that can though, I'm sure it's a good feeling. I feel comfortable with what I believe my fate to be though. It's natural, and there's no denying that aspect of it.

If it turns out I go to Hell, Hades, or whatever else there is out there, then whoops. My bad. I'm only human.

Edit: as for an answer to the original point of this thread, I don't have a problem with ANY well known religion (with the exception of those crazy ones like the suicide cults). Only people that misunderstand the intentions of it. Why isn't there a choice for none in the poll?

no prob, you evil self proclaiming god person! :roflmao:

But on a serious response to what you said, one problem I do have with religion is how some of them say "if you aren't one of us, you're going to hell!" You know what I say to that? Kiss my ass! :moon:

I just don't get it. If God really cared THAT MUCH about your religion and beliefs, wouldn't He show Himself? Or do SOMETHING that left no doubt in your mind? Hold a weekly teleconference, or maybe a talkshow like Jesus has on South Park (speaking of which, if Jesus shows himself in south park all the time, why is Kyle jewish?)? I have 0 proof whatsoever, just faith. So if I put my faith into the wrong thing, believed the wrong story from thousands of years ago, etc...that means I'm doomed to eternal damnation, or limbo, or wherever else? Even if I'm a great person otherwise and better than a majority of the people who follow the 'right' religion (The correct answer is Mormon! :lol:)? Please. I just don't buy that for one second. Preach to me all you want about how I'm going to hell if I don't believe in your religion, but if I'm a better person than you are then I have more of a right regardless of my religious choice. The religion choice part was just a scare tactic to get everyone to believe in your religion (started back in the Dark Ages, now it's just evolved into part of the religion itself) :smile:

The basic point of religion is guidance, hopefully into being the best person you can be. The rest is just gobble-dee-gook. If there is an all-powerful being, I think your actions will be more important than anything else (unless you call God a chick, then you're just insulting and going straight to hell! :lol:).

And before you ask...no, I didn't vote on any of those religions as religions that 'annoy' me. Though that one concept does bug me a bit. I do believe and I have faith, but until I am given cold hard proof that God really truly wants me to believe in one specific perfect exact way, then I don't think it's that big of a deal.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

Should I bother to vote?

With that said, to answer the above quote:

God is supposed to an all knowing, an all powerful and understanding God. Why would he have to resort to blackmail to garner your affection and belief?

Believe in Me or be banished to Hell for all time and eternity?? What kind of God would say or believe such a thing. A God wouldn't, but man would. What a way to insure a flow of income. Believe or perish.
God would know we're infallible, and he's the one that gave us free choice (or so the Bible says). I'm sure if he was a kind God, he'd also be a forgiving God, and give us a chance to repent and to sit with Him and forgive us our sins as a man or woman, BEFORE he sends to Hell for all time and eternity, whether we believed in him or not on this side of the veil.

For those that believe God will banish me to Hell for all time and eternity because as a man I don't believe. :neener: I don't believe in YOUR God, my God's cooler than yours.

ALL organized religions are businesses, period. They are about making money, not saving souls. All TAX free. Religion, as far as making money goes, is better than organized crime. Leaders of most churches live better than ANY Mafiaso ever did, never pay any taxes, AND have never broken a law. Pay your 10% protection money or we's gonna break yu's knee caps an banish you to Hell for all time and eternity!!

Attachments

• pope.gif
    pope.gif
    3.7 KB · Views: 131

Xaquin44

what?

that's a crazy leap of 'logic' lol

lets see if I can match it!

hmmmmm

ah HA!

If the sky is blue and cloudy, then the answer must be vacuum cleaners!