Why are Jeeps so expensive?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
You still need plugs Bob. And the platinums in mine were pretty much toast at 70K. And Gurps, the modern Hemis do indeed have 2 plugs per. And one coil pak per cylinder.

Sure you do, but not every 12k miles, and as far as OLD tune ups went, plugs were the cheapest part of the entire deal.

Now plugs, as far as tune ups go, are about the entire deal.

Everything is Electronic, and ECU.. if you REALLY need a tune up, it's done by replacing a circuit card now.. No more timing adjustments, valve adjustments, carb adjustments... etc.. etc..

Replace belts and plugs about what, every 50k miles??

I think my Land Rover is the exception as it seems to eat spark plug wires.. why I have no idea, but the Service Engine light comes on, the code says replace ignition module or coil.. replace wires, light goes out, truck runs great, AND you have to replace the wires with the right guage and brand of wire or the light returns within 10k miles..

glhs837

Power with Control
No, not every 12K, my point was that you do still have scheduled maint. Not as much, and certainly not as complex, but still stuff to do. About your plug wires, sounds similar to a thing we in the Neon community had to deal with. We called it carbon tracking. What would happen was that the plugs would lay down tracks that broke down a pathway between the ceramic of the plug and the rubber of the wire boot.

Replacing the wires would solve it temporarily, but not long as the tracings on the plug would provide a path of least resistance leading the wires to go bad.

I replaced my wires, fixed, then it came back, replaced the plugs, fixed, came back, replaced both at the same time, it never came back.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Back then they required care and feeding the average owner simply wouldn't bother with, then you get early failures and warranty claims and a bad reputation.

I was thinking more like the early 1900's ..... you had to have a technical skill or wallet to maintain one

like a DOS Computer, not just ANY moron could run one for very long

now we have 100,000 mile tune ups and 25,000 mile oil changes
nothing under a car is maintained people point cars down the road ....

an Air Cooled VW Beetle took 2.5 qts of oil and you changed it every 3,000 miles there was a screen you cleaned in gas or I used Carb Cleaner, you filed and re-gaped the points every 6000 miles changed them every 12,000 along with the spark plugs ... also the condenser, cap and rotor ...

I could set the point gap by eye ....

a points set was a couple of bucks and you kept spares in the glove box, or a tool kit in the trunk ...

rotate the tires, adjust the brakes ....
.... grease the tie rods and ball joints ...
if you were gentle the clutch lasted as long as the motor ...

you could hone the cylinders and lap the vales and tighten up the motor for another 50,000 miles .... but you were pretty much done @ 100,000 it was time for a hot tank and new bearings .... a rebuild kit cost $ 300 bucks from JC Whitney ...

Pistons, Cylinders, Cam Shaft, wrist pins, bearings, gaskets, valves and guides ...

... you had new vales put in your heads if they were not trashed ... otherwise you were looking rebuild able heads

you were one with the car, and you could tell by the way it ran, it was time for an oil change or to regap the plugs .... if you bought 90 Octane the engine sang the same song in a slightly different tune ...

:buddies:

glhs837

Power with Control
Well, Gurps, it's not completely a dying art. Just a few weeks back boy and I were greasing up the Chargers tie rods and ball joints. As they went bad, I replaced the "serviced for life" parts with Moog units with grease fittings.

Told him that who knew,, someday he might have a machine that required such primitive methods:) And now the Samurais are coming, with all sorts of throwback tech:) Even has a carb:) Rear drum brakes, crank windows.

First operation will be swapping the mighty 1.3 liter 60hp powerplant:) Then a full checkup including diff and transfer cases, brakes and steering.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Told him that who knew,, someday he might have a machine that required such primitive methods:) And now the Samurais are coming, with all sorts of throwback tech:) Even has a carb:) Rear drum brakes, crank windows.

First operation will be swapping the mighty 1.3 liter 60hp powerplant:) Then a full checkup including diff and transfer cases, brakes and steering.

60 HP is all you need for a Sammy :killingme

:buddies:

some yrs ago;

a good friend of mine, Duane, Foxhound and I drove out to Rockville and picked up some 35's from this gal, who was upgrading her Sammy to D60's and 38's

:faint:

yes the Sammy was setup as a Rock Crawler

glhs837

Power with Control
Gas, spark and air..........:killingme

Actually, the stock 1.3 liter carbed motor. Getting two of the trucks and a spare motor for free. The one that's road legal has a bad knock. Getting a 1.3 1991 fuel injected engine as part of the deal, but I think I will swap over the carbed 1.3 out of the non-titled one to get the good one going, then dropping the FI motor back in the one thats going to be offroad.

Might step up to a 1.6 liter out of the Tracker/Sidekick twins, as they drop right in, but that's down the road. this whole project is unfunded, so maximum results for minimum dollars is the buzzword for now:)

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Gas, spark and air..........:killingme

:mad: :smack:

this whole project is unfunded, so maximum results for minimum dollars is the buzzword for now:)

aren't they all ..... a piece here, a piece there .... sounds like Doritos, you cannot have just one ...

... like Gilligan and Broncos, he must have a doz ... St Georges its going to flip over and sink from all that Detroit Heavy Metal