Why are people paying 1k+ for puppies?

I am seriously curious... why do people pay 1k plus for a puppy? So Joe Schmo let's Lilly Mae's male bop his female. She has a litter of 6 and he puts up an add for $1200 for females, $1000 for males and easily clears 6 grand. I understand they do it they can... even people who live paycheck to paycheck or home with their parents don't blink an eye and plop down cash for a pup. My question is more so, why does the general public fork over such a wad of cash rather than hit the local animal shelter. I can completely understand not wanting to deal with rescues, but the shelters have some seriously good pets than can be adopted for an affordable price and they are vetted and temperament tested. Just curious to hear others opinions.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
My question is more so, why does the general public fork over such a wad of cash rather than hit the local animal shelter.

For the same reason women don't just randomly choose a husband out of a list of guys on Match.com - because they want a compatible companion and have something specific in mind.

I'm not a big fan of designer dogs and status symbol breeds, but before Apollo and I found each other I had him in mind (although ideally he'd have been female). I went to a few shelters and they tried to guilt me into taking an incompatible pooch (except for the woman who sneered and insinuated I wasn't good enough to take home one of her mutts because a cage at a shelter was better than any home I might give it hmpf), but I was working off a list of requirements and none of those dogs fit the bill.

I'd have forked over $1k+- for the perfect dog, but as luck would have it I didn't have to.

I have a bigger problem with people who get bunnies and chickies for Easter that they don't intend to take care of.

I feel that way about rescues. Too militant and invasive for me. You don't really know what temperament you are getting when you get a pup which is why I would think it would be easier to find the perfect match with a dog at least several months old. I do have specific list of requirements, but I guess I was naively thinking a shelter would want to work WITH someone in finding the right dog rather than give attitude or throw shade. Your answer matches what I was guessing... people are paying the price it takes to pick what they want on their terms. In that light I can see the point.

Blister

I can understand paying for a papered, registered dog if you are planning to breed, show, or compete with a purebred dog. What cracks me up are the people that will gladly pay for bastardized designer mutts ie. COCKAPOOS, LABRADOODLES, PUGGLES, GOLDEN DOODLES, SHEPSKIS, etc. For dogs with no reasonable expectation of intelligence, temperament or health. They are mutts, and some of the best dogs I have ever known, or owned were mutts, but if you buy one all you are doing is supporting the worst kinds of backyard breeder puppy mills.

Blister, you have a point. My breed of choice is the miniature schnauzer. We have breeders that charge a high premium for "party" schnauzers, which means they are not the traditional coat colors but rather white and brown muddled. Not at all true to the breed but rather designer.

Grumpy

I feel that way about rescues. Too militant and invasive for me.

Agree with that ^..Have gone both ways, purebreds and pound/rescue pups. The rescue folks are way too 'all in' in finding the perfect adoptee and frankly, they jump the shark with inspections and invasive questions. One problem with rescues and pound dogs is that you don't know their history or lineage. With the purebreds we have bought, we know their bloodlines and probable personality traits,. an adopted rescue or pound pup, not so much. Over the last 10 to 15 years, when you add in the vet bills, we've probably paid out as much for the adoptees as we did for the purebreds.

Agree with that ^..Have gone both ways, purebreds and pound/rescue pups. The rescue folks are way too 'all in' in finding the perfect adoptee and frankly, they jump the shark with inspections and invasive questions. One problem with rescues and pound dogs is that you don't know their history or lineage. With the purebreds we have bought, we know their bloodlines and probable personality traits,. an adopted rescue or pound pup, not so much. Over the last 10 to 15 years, when you add in the vet bills, we've probably paid out as much for the adoptees as we did for the purebreds.
I'm starting to get over the loss of my two. One made it to 15 then had a sudden medical episode and I chose to put her down rather than invasive test and treatments. The second made it to 16 1/2 and had a happy full life up to the very last week. It's been a couple years since they've been gone and we pretty much talk about them every day. I often times look at petfinder.com, the shelters and local classifieds, but in the back of my mind I'm thinking when I'm ready to get another one I will most likely end up going to a breeder. I just hate that thought though knowing there are so many who need a forever home. I grew up in a family that was part of the humane society and we fostered throughout my childhood so it makes me feel a bit sad.

Grumpy

I'm starting to get over the loss of my two. One made it to 15 then had a sudden medical episode and I chose to put her down rather than invasive test and treatments. The second made it to 16 1/2 and had a happy full life up to the very last week. It's been a couple years since they've been gone and we pretty much talk about them every day. I often times look at petfinder.com, the shelters and local classifieds, but in the back of my mind I'm thinking when I'm ready to get another one I will most likely end up going to a breeder. I just hate that thought though knowing there are so many who need a forever home. I grew up in a family that was part of the humane society and we fostered throughout my childhood so it makes me feel a bit sad.

Can't save the world, tho the wife has tried between fostering pups and kittens.

Can't save the world, tho the wife has tried between fostering pups and kittens.
Agreed. Although If I became independently wealthy and had the time and money, I believe I would take on geriatric pups that need the extra tender time and care. I enjoyed my old ladies. Towards the end the 16 1/2 year old was getting bi-weekly lavender spa warm baths in a round wash tub. The soothing heat was good for her and the baths kept her clean since she could no longer do the job too well. I even diapered her at bedtimes because she'd sleep through her morning pee time and it kept her from waking up wet. It wasn't long after that I had to make the decision we all hate to make.

mitzi

Out of all of my dogs that I loved my best one I got as a freebie on this site's classifieds. He was an 8 year old Pomeranian with papers, AKA registered, etc. It was a relative gave him to a relative and they couldn't keep him because of their big dogs. I was a little skeptical at first. The problem must have been their big dogs because he got along fine with my huge husky/shepard mix. They pretty much ignored each other and went their own way. He was perfect from the minute he jumped in the car. He was 8 years old. People asked me why did I got an older dog (I actually had someone say to me he wouldn't even live a few more years). He made it to the ripe old age of 17.

The one that made it to 16 1/2 was a purebred mini-schnauzer that I adopted by spotting a classified ad here on SOMD.COM. They needed to re-home her and we were looking for a 2nd one. She was 4 and became a special part of our family. I do pay attention to the ads here. I know there are times when good people have to give up good dogs.

Bleu_sarcelle

I am seriously curious... why do people pay 1k plus for a puppy? So Joe Schmo let's Lilly Mae's male bop his female. She has a litter of 6 and he puts up an add for $1200 for females, $1000 for males and easily clears 6 grand. I understand they do it they can... even people who live paycheck to paycheck or home with their parents don't blink an eye and plop down cash for a pup. My question is more so, why does the general public fork over such a wad of cash rather than hit the local animal shelter. I can completely understand not wanting to deal with rescues, but the shelters have some seriously good pets than can be adopted for an affordable price and they are vetted and temperament tested. Just curious to hear others opinions.
I didn't pay that much, but I did pay for a poodle mix because of allergies. I didn't know how my kids would react to dog hair and wanted to choose a dog compatible to those issues. Dog #2 was a rescue/give away that I got from Desertrat. 13 pounds of attitude, but I love them both the same. Before that, I had looked for 4 years at rescues and humane societies throughout the area, about a 2 hour radius, only to be late to the game or turned down for one reason or another. One dog I had to take back because of aggressive issues. Finally, I just broke down and bought the dog I wanted.

mitzi

The one that made it to 16 1/2 was a purebred mini-schnauzer that I adopted by spotting a classified ad here on SOMD.COM. They needed to re-home her and we were looking for a 2nd one. She was 4 and became a special part of our family. I do pay attention to the ads here. I know there are times when good people have to give up good dogs.

Off topic here but I've gotten 2 jobs from ads on the classifieds here. Thinking back now I got my dog in 2000 so I've been reading here for 19 years. Unbelievable, it doesn't seem like that long ago.

Grumpy

Off topic here but I've gotten 2 jobs from ads on the classifieds here. Thinking back now I got my dog in 2000 so I've been reading here for 19 years. Unbelievable, it doesn't seem like that long ago.

There's a core group that have been here that long..time flies..

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I can understand paying for a papered, registered dog if you are planning to breed, show, or compete with a purebred dog. What cracks me up are the people that will gladly pay for bastardized designer mutts ie. ****APOOS, LABRADOODLES, PUGGLES, GOLDEN DOODLES, SHEPSKIS, etc. For dogs with no reasonable expectation of intelligence, temperament or health. They are mutts, and some of the best dogs I have ever known, or owned were mutts, but if you buy one all you are doing is supporting the worst kinds of backyard breeder puppy mills.

I have a designer mutt - a Schnoodle - and I wouldn't trade him for a million dollars. Hybrids combine (hopefully) the best of two breeds to make a great dog. I was liking the -oodles, but labra- and golden- were bigger than I wanted. Then Apollo literally jumped in my lap, and here we are.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

But I have heard her say many times, "You can't save them all." So as big as her doggy and kitty heart is, she is still realistic.

Kwillia, I think you should get the dog that's right for you, regardless of where they come from. You wouldn't grab just any old husband off a barstool, so I don't think you should grab any old pooch, either. Companions have to be compatible with you.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
It's kind of like buying a car, you can scrimp and save and buy that one car that's exactly right for you or you can get the thousand dollar, gets you from here to there one.

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
My wacky niece, who makes more than I do at 23, bought some designer dog that is now as big as a horse. On top of whatever she paid for it, she paid $2000 to fly him across country in the cabin in a seat. 😿