Why Are Schools Open Thursday?

Do you think the schools are ready to open?

• yes

Votes: 22 84.6%
  • no

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • not sure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Christy

b*tch rocket
Heck yeah they should go back to school! My kids went back to (private) school today. If you're worried about bus accidents take you kids yourself of keep them at home. :rolleyes: Sheesh!

Christy

b*tch rocket
I think it's retarded that they close the schools in this state whenever you get a dusting of snow! :rolleyes: They shoulda saved the "snow days" for the biggun, then they'd have puh-lenty of days to shut down the schools for the tards that can't shovel themselves out. :bubble:

K

Kimmy

I think that it is about time that they open the school's back up. My son will be going to school today. I think kids these days are so lazy. How many kids actually have to walk (a great distance) to there bus stop. I think buses have to make to many stops on a single road. Just on the road that we live on alone there are 3 stops and they are only a couple hundred feet apart. When I am home and able to put my son on the bus we walk down to where some of the other kids are. I have to agree if they can play in it then they can go to school in it. Kids just have it so easy these days. Some of it I blame on the parents for making so many execuses for the children. Like this one should kids go back to school because some roads are still bad. It's not the board of education that you need to be talking to it is State Road or the County for not clearing your road yet.

I've only lived here for 12 years, but I remember one winter when they closed schools because there was a CHANCE of snow! sheesh!

K

Kimmy

Originally posted by kwillia
Bus stop? My dad said he had to walk the whole way to/from school... in the snow... barefoot.... up hill both ways. :bubble:

That is exactly what I mean. Kids have it so easy these days. Back when I went to school we had a long gravel driveway to walk down to catch the bus. The bus never picked us up at my parents house nor did my parents take me to the end of the driveway to catch the bus. (Off topic a little) We never had cable just 4, 5, 7, & 9, no call waiting or caller ID, no playstation, computers, gameboy etc... We had the out doors rain or shine that is where we were. Making mud pies, climbing trees, or riding our bikes. Man those were the days. Have the scars to prove it!!

Last edited by a moderator:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Damned if they do, damned if they don't

The school systems are in a precarious situation. People complain if the schools AREN'T closed and they complain if they are. As for closing for impending or light snow, sure it looks bad but this is a litigation-happy society and the school systems have to cover their butts. It's a much more complicated situation than it seems.

T

Tammyscreations

Schools open thursday

It's not that I am not parent enough to make the choice to send my child to school or not, I simply don't think they should send them till next week, half of the school parking lots are still not safe, what if they have a fire drill or a real fire, and have to go outside,They don't have it safe enough for that.. The child could slip or fall, That's only one reason, but also there are many places on the roads where its still snow covered and the bus has to go over it, and my son's bus has to go down a curvey road, and it's just not safe yet. I caught my son's bus going 65 miles an hour one day taking kids to school, and reported her to the school, and they did nothing, this is the kind of people that drive our bus's and what if she gets in a wreck? It's just not 100% safe yet for them to go back.. I agree with The guy who spoke for the Calvert County schools on the news. And I am sticking to what I believe, it's not that I don't want to get up, and take the time to get him ready, because I am up early every morning, that's not the point, and it's not that I am not a good parent and wanting my child to stay home. I am only concerned about the children's safety if they go back,and get on the bus. Most of you if your good parents, and concerned would not want to send them back in such a rush, because your sick of them at home. I love my child, and I am concerned about safety. My sister told me the other day, she hopes school gets back on track soon, she was going to go nuts another day home trying to entertain her daughter, but I am not like that, I only want what's best for my son, and I don't appreciate some people thinking I am not a good parent here on this message board. You have not come out and said that exactly , but in a round about way .. I love my child and care about his safety so I am a wonderful parent.......

Christy

b*tch rocket
Oh jeeze of flip Tammy! If you have "issues" with the bus, there are no rules that say he/she MUST ride the bus! Drive your kid to school! I drive my kids to school. It's not that difficult. :rolleyes:

T

Tammyscreations

Christy, I am only speaking concerns , I am not needing a shrink or anything..
And I can't take my child to school with only one vehical. ok!
Not everyone can take their child to school like you.

And I am a very nice person, but when I don't agree with something I will speak my mind. And My child's safety is my first priority.

SxyPrincess

Tammy,

I understand your POV, just as I understand everyone else's. IMO, if the school system believed that the well being of children were at risk, they wouldn't have opened schools in St. Mary's.

K

Kain99

Don't take anything we say to personally Tammy..... No one means any harm we're all just a little opinionated. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Tammyscreations
Christy, I am only speaking concerns , I am not needing a shrink or anything..
I missed the part where Christy said to get a shrink.... :confused:

K

Kain99

Originally posted by Christy
Oh jeeze of flip Tammy! If you have "issues" with the bus,

I belive that this was the offensive (get a shrink) statement..... Good thing Tammy caught us on a good day. :biggrin:

watercolor

yeah yeah
Ok.. anyway. Well.. the only information I can tell you Tammy is:

A) no reason to get rung up...she was stating her opinon such as you. :biggrin:

B) call the board of ed and transportation and ream them...that is your best bet.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Now. If anyone wonders why they close school because of a little dusting, just re-read Tammy's posts.

E

ez_one20690

Tammy...Did you send your child to school today?? (Thursday)

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Originally posted by vraiblonde
Now. If anyone wonders why they close school because of a little dusting, just re-read Tammy's posts.

My point exactly Vrai. I used to work for the attorneys that represented PG County schools. You cannot imagine the things parent get bent about. It's truly amazing. The schools are paranoid.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The question is actually: "Do you think the schools are ready to open?" You can see it on the blue bar above the poll buttons.

Now tell Tammy you're sorry.