Why do Atheists celebrate Christmas?

Highlander

ONE NATION UNDER GOD
All of the holidays that we know of celebrate something. Whether you are celebrating Ground Hog day or Fourth of July, they all have a meaning. Christmas is a christian holiday to celebrate the birth or Christ.

Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindu people do not celebrate Christmas. Why do non-believing Americans celebrate Christmas? Christians don't celebrate other religion's holidays.

What is it that Atheists celebrate at the end of December? It's certainly not Christmas.

bcp

In My Opinion
All of the holidays that we know of celebrate something. Whether you are celebrating Ground Hog day or Fourth of July, they all have a meaning. Christmas is a christian holiday to celebrate the birth or Christ.

Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindu people do not celebrate Christmas. Why do non-believing Americans celebrate Christmas? Christians don't celebrate other religion's holidays.

What is it that Atheists celebrate at the end of December? It's certainly not Christmas.
I think its great.
maybe one day the true meaning will come to them.
I certainly wouldnt ask an atheist to leave the church if he came in.

What did Jesus say? something about being here for the sinner, not the rightous?

bcp

In My Opinion
oh one other thing.
Christmas is kinda a stolen holiday.
before it was the celebration of Christs birth, it was a holiday that celebrated new life. The tree part is actually from a German pagan ritual, the lights represent the Ice on the limbs twinkling in the moon light.

The real birth of christ was much later in the year, not on the 25th of december at all, that day was chosen due to its placement in the Church calendar.

Highlander

ONE NATION UNDER GOD
I think its great.
maybe one day the true meaning will come to them.
I certainly wouldnt ask an atheist to leave the church if he came in.

What did Jesus say? something about being here for the sinner, not the rightous?

I would agree that we shouldn't ask an atheist to leave the church if they walked in. It just seems like they get in the car because they are told to and put it in gear but have no clue where they are supposed to go.

THey don't end up at the church. They end up at the mall to worship the retailers.

puggymom

The Real Story of Christmas - Saturnalia
In the early years of Christianity, Easter was the main holiday; the birth of Jesus was not celebrated. In the fourth century, church officials decided to institute the birth of Jesus as a holiday. Unfortunately, the Bible does not mention date for his birth (a fact Puritans later pointed out in order to deny the legitimacy of the celebration). Although some evidence suggests that his birth may have occurred in the spring (why would shepherds be herding in the middle of winter?), Pope Julius I chose December 25. It is commonly believed that the church chose this date in an effort to adopt and absorb the traditions of the pagan Saturnalia festival. First called the Feast of the Nativity, the custom spread to Egypt by 432 and to England by the end of the sixth century. By the end of the eighth century, the celebration of Christmas had spread all the way to Scandinavia. Today, in the Greek and Russian orthodox churches, Christmas is celebrated 13 days after the 25th, which is also referred to as the Epiphany or Three Kings Day. This is the day it is believed that the three wise men finally found Jesus in the manger.

Xaquin44

"In the early years of Christianity, Easter was the main holiday; the birth of Jesus was not celebrated. In the fourth century, church officials decided to institute the birth of Jesus as a holiday. Unfortunately, the Bible does not mention date for his birth (a fact Puritans later pointed out in order to deny the legitimacy of the celebration). Although some evidence suggests that his birth may have occurred in the spring (why would shepherds be herding in the middle of winter?), Pope Julius I chose December 25. It is commonly believed that the church chose this date in an effort to adopt and absorb the traditions of the pagan Saturnalia festival. First called the Feast of the Nativity, the custom spread to Egypt by 432 and to England by the end of the sixth century. By the end of the eighth century, the celebration of Christmas had spread all the way to Scandinavia. Today, in the Greek and Russian orthodox churches, Christmas is celebrated 13 days after the 25th, which is also referred to as the Epiphany or Three Kings Day. This is the day it is believed that the three wise men finally found Jesus in the manger."

ayup

puggymom

"In the early years of Christianity, Easter was the main holiday; the birth of Jesus was not celebrated. In the fourth century, church officials decided to institute the birth of Jesus as a holiday. Unfortunately, the Bible does not mention date for his birth (a fact Puritans later pointed out in order to deny the legitimacy of the celebration). Although some evidence suggests that his birth may have occurred in the spring (why would shepherds be herding in the middle of winter?), Pope Julius I chose December 25. It is commonly believed that the church chose this date in an effort to adopt and absorb the traditions of the pagan Saturnalia festival. First called the Feast of the Nativity, the custom spread to Egypt by 432 and to England by the end of the sixth century. By the end of the eighth century, the celebration of Christmas had spread all the way to Scandinavia. Today, in the Greek and Russian orthodox churches, Christmas is celebrated 13 days after the 25th, which is also referred to as the Epiphany or Three Kings Day. This is the day it is believed that the three wise men finally found Jesus in the manger."

ayup

I said it first...:razz:

Xaquin44

I think the question should be 'why do christians celebrate christmas' seeing as no one knows for certain when (if) christ was born

PsyOps

Pixelated
I'd celebrate that =)

I'm a Christian and have to work Christmas day. I can celebrate my God any day of the year. I don't need Christmas to do that. So for atheists to hijack the holiday with their drivel has no bearing on me whatsoever.

Xaquin44

I'm a Christian and have to work Christmas day. I can celebrate my God any day of the year. I don't need Christmas to do that. So for atheists to hijack the holiday with their drivel has no bearing on me whatsoever.

what are you talking about?

PsyOps

Pixelated
what are you talking about?

This is what I'm talking about.

Nonbelievers' sign at Capitol counters Nativity

In the latest round of what's become almost a winter tradition — conflicts over religious symbols in public places — a group of atheists and agnostics have put up a sign in the state Capitol that says, in part: "Religion is but myth and superstition that hardens hearts and enslaves minds."

Freedom From Religion Foundation members put up the sign Monday, partly in response to a nearby Nativity scene. They also debuted a billboard in downtown Olympia that reads: "Reason's Greetings."

And this...

New York Christmas Boat Parade Changes Name, Loses Fans

Brookhaven-based fireworks company Fireworks by Grucci dropped its sponsorship after the Greater Patchogue Foundation removed "Christmas" from the parade's name. The change was made after some residents complained the name wasn't inclusive enough.

Inclusive enough for what? It's CHRISTMAS. A Christian holiday. Who else is supposed to be included in a CHRISTIAN HOLIDAY?

Now I don't care if atheists want to celebrate Christmas, but don't try to change it. It has now become routine for atheists to pop up every Christmas trying to remove the very name that defines the holiday. If atheists want their own holiday, lobby for one. If atheist want to try to do away with Christmas have at it. Until then, leave it alone.

THAT'S what I'm talking about.

Cowgirl

I celebrate it for the time with family (especially those I don't see too often), the giving and receiving, the lights, Christmas trees, bows, wrapping paper, Santa, candycanes, eggnog....the list goes on! :thewave:

Xaquin44

Now I don't care if atheists want to celebrate Christmas, but don't try to change it.

why not?

christians did.

that said, I really don't care how religions celebrate their holidays.

I like christmas no matter its origins .... it (generally) brings out the best in people.

PsyOps

Pixelated
why not?

christians did.

that said, I really don't care how religions celebrate their holidays.

I like christmas no matter its origins .... it (generally) brings out the best in people.

Christians changed Christmas? How? It is their holiday. Shouldn't they have a right to change it?