Why do Atheists celebrate Christmas?

mAlice

professional daydreamer
This is what I'm talking about.

Nonbelievers' sign at Capitol counters Nativity

And this...

New York Christmas Boat Parade Changes Name, Loses Fans

Inclusive enough for what? It's CHRISTMAS. A Christian holiday. Who else is supposed to be included in a CHRISTIAN HOLIDAY?

Now I don't care if atheists want to celebrate Christmas, but don't try to change it.
It has now become routine for atheists to pop up every Christmas trying to remove the very name that defines the holiday. If atheists want their own holiday, lobby for one. If atheist want to try to do away with Christmas have at it. Until then, leave it alone.

THAT'S what I'm talking about.

:nono:

It was a pagan tradition before it was a christian tradition, so let's not get into who's making changes.

bcp

In My Opinion
even the gift giving was taken from the pagans.

The custom of gift-giving on Christmas goes back to Roman festivals of Saturnalia and Kalends. The very first gifts were simple items such as twigs from a sacred grove as good luck emblems. Soon that escalated to food, small items of jewelry, candles, and statues of gods. To the early Church, gift-giving at this time was a pagan holdover and therefore severely frowned upon. However, people would not part with it, and some justification was found in the original gift giving of the Magi, and from figures such as St. Nicholas. By the middle ages gift giving was accepted. Before then it was more common to exchange gifts on New Year's Day or Twelfth Night.

(I quote so you dont think I actually spelled that many words correctly all at once)

bcp

In My Opinion
CHRISTMAS

CHRIST.

You people want so bad to make it something other than what it is.
dont get me wrong, Im full on board with the Christ in Christmas, however, historically speaking, December 25th was originally a pagan holiday.

bcp

In My Opinion
You can call it whatever you like, but that doesn't change what it is, and where it originated.
what it is to the Christians is the day to celebrate the birth of the promised son, our Saviour Jesus Christ.

PsyOps

Pixelated
dont get me wrong, Im full on board with the Christ in Christmas, however, historically speaking, December 25th was originally a pagan holiday.

I don't care what it was. This isn't rocket science here. But atheist and non-believers want to throw this crap in there to confuse people into believing Christmas is something other than what it IS NOW.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I don't care what it was. This isn't rocket science here. But atheist and non-believers want to throw this crap in there to confuse people into believing Christmas is something other than what it IS NOW.

boo effin hoo. Where was the outrage when it was stolen from the pagans?

Cowgirl

Seriously, why does it bother you how people celebrate it?

PsyOps

Pixelated
You can call it whatever you like, but that doesn't change what it is, and where it originated.

I didn't call it that. It's been called CHRISTMAS for hundreds of years. YOU can call it whatever you want, but it doesn't change what it IS.

For the same reason we are trying to keep the traditional definition of marriage. Things are what they are. People want to strip spirituality from everything for their self-serving purposes, as if, by doing so, you can remove the belief system from our hearts.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Seriously, why does it bother you how people celebrate it?

Pay attention. Read back on my other posts. I don't care how people celebrate it. But stop trying to strip the name and meaning from what it is. It seems there are a lot of atheists out there that have a problem with how Christians celebrate Christmas and they aim to change that by trying to remove the very name of the holiday from being mentioned in the public. THAT is the outrage I am expressing.

Jigglepuff

Chin Jiggla!
Any Holiday!!!

I'll celebrate any holiday if I feel like it!

Ramadan....I pig out and Drink...Hanukkah...I'll eat bacon, pork chops, ware a funny hat (and Drink)...Christmas (Drink EGG NOG!!) and watch kids go spastic... Kwanzaa....I'll Drink a 40 and ware a funny hat...

bcp

In My Opinion
I didn't call it that. It's been called CHRISTMAS for hundreds of years. YOU can call it whatever you want, but it doesn't change what it IS.

For the same reason we are trying to keep the traditional definition of marriage. Things are what they are. People want to strip spirituality from everything for their self-serving purposes, as if, by doing so, you can remove the belief system from our hearts.
I look at the trend of trying to remove the word of God from our hearts as a warning, or a message from God that we are failing to serve him and introduce his word to people.

This trend is a much the fault of Christians as it is the fault of those doing it.

mAlice

professional daydreamer

Fact: christians adopted a pagan tradition and called it christmas. That still doesn't change what it is. It's a pagan holiday. Christ was not born in Dec. More likely Sept.

Do your homework...I did mine.