Why do Atheists celebrate Christmas?

Highlander

ONE NATION UNDER GOD
Because we celebrate it for different reasons. So it has christ in the name. BFD. :shrug:

Again, WHAT are you celebrating?

Also, it is a BFD that Christ is in the name. DUh! It wasn't just a coincidence.

Never mind. I'd be better off trying to talk to a tree stump.

Cowgirl

Again, WHAT are you celebrating?

Also, it is a BFD that Christ is in the name. DUh! It wasn't just a coincidence.

Never mind. I'd be better off trying to talk to a tree stump.

The question has been answered in this thread. Go back and read it. :huggy:

Radiant1

Soul Probe
The question has been answered in this thread. Go back and read it. :huggy:

Yeah, you celebrate "Christmas" even though you don't believe in Christ. :roflmao:

And mAlice has angels and crosses on her winter solstice tree! That's effin' hilarious! :killingme

Thanks for the entertainment folks!

J

JustinB

You really don't see the problem with celebrating a religious event with no regard for the religion?

Do you celbrate any one else's religious holidays?

I celebrate St. Patty's day I like the green beer.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
You really don't see the problem with celebrating a religious event with no regard for the religion?

Do you celbrate any one else's religious holidays?

No, I don't see a problem with it, but apparently you do.

I wasn't exposed to other traditions growing up.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Yeah, you celebrate "Christmas" even though you don't believe in Christ. :roflmao:

And mAlice has angels and crosses on her winter solstice tree! That's effin' hilarious! :killingme

You're such a good child of god. He must be very proud of you.

Cowgirl

Excuse me? Did I say I didn't believe in Jesus? Gee, deja vu. I most definitely believe there was a man named Jesus. This has been covered already in this thread. mAlice has just about the same opinion of it that I do.

This_person

No, I don't see a problem with it, but apparently you do.

I wasn't exposed to other traditions growing up.
I do see a problem with it. I find it disrespectful to mock someone's religious beliefs by doing things like claiming to celebrate their diety when I really don't believe in that diety.

PsyOps

Pixelated
you were complaining about atheists "hijacking" the holiday, when that's exactly what christians did in the first place.

I was just pointing that out.

What was the specific name of the holiday? Specifically how long ago did this happen? How did Christians adopting some of the traditions of this "pagan holiday" remove the central point of pagans celebrating their holiday? How many countries adopted this "pagan holiday" as a federal holiday, with days off of work, etc...?

Christians didn't attempt to remove the central focus of this "pagan holiday", they simply adopted their traditions into a holiday of their own to celebrate the birth of Christ. So they hijacked nothing. Perhaps they borrowed or adopted, but not hijacked.

Cowgirl

What does that have to do with a religious event?

It's not about the religious event. He's comparing that to non Irish people celebrating an Irish holiday. The same with Cinco de Mayo. Many people celebrate it just because they can and it's fun. :smile:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I do see a problem with it. I find it disrespectful to mock someone's religious beliefs by doing things like claiming to celebrate their diety when I really don't believe in that diety.

If you think I'm mocking your beliefs, that's your problem. I'm not gonna' stop doing something I've done all my life just to make your miserable little life happier.

This_person

Excuse me? Did I say I didn't believe in Jesus? Gee, deja vu. I most definitely believe there was a man named Jesus. This has been covered already in this thread. mAlice has just about the same opinion of it that I do.
So, you celebrate Jesus's birth as the only begotten son of God, who died for your sins and was raised again to sit at the right hand of God?

Or, just some good political activist like MLK?

Cowgirl

So you want to control what she does in her own home? How does her tree affect you?