Wife SWAP

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I would say that the people on the Bachelor, the parents of Snookie, Kanye, The Kardashians, etc… are products of all the things we’ve been fed over the decades. Can you really admit that we’re ‘evolving’ into a better society because of all of these things?

Yes, I'm sure that Cain slew Abel because of societal degeneration.

Look at some of King David's greatest hits - that little triangle with Uriah and Bathsheba. And he was one of God's chosen.

I know you've read the Bible, and my understanding is that you believe what it says. So help me understand why you think any of this moral decline is new?

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Try as you might - ya just can't save ALL the starfish, people!!! Ya just can't. :cds:

Now, go over to the M&G forum and RSVP for this Friday. :biggrin:

PsyOps

Pixelated
Yes, I'm sure that Cain slew Abel because of societal degeneration.

Look at some of King David's greatest hits - that little triangle with Uriah and Bathsheba. And he was one of God's chosen.

I know you've read the Bible, and my understanding is that you believe what it says. So help me understand why you think any of this moral decline is new?

I’m not sure I ever implied it is anything new. I do know that I live in this particular time in history and it’s all I know of that I can somehow speak about it. Because it’s been something man has done since our beginnings doesn’t mean we have to accept it. I thought we were supposed to evolve into more intelligent creatures. I don’t know, maybe we’re not capable of that. Maybe we’ve reached our peak as a civilized species and our decline is inevitable.

I also never said that I liked everything I’ve read in the bible. A lot of it makes me very uncomfortable. I don’t claim to understand why God chose to use violence to achieve His goals; except to say that if God created life He has the authority – through whatever means He decides – to destroy life. If you believe in God, then you know that it all belongs to Him. I don’t expect you to accept that, but that’s the way I see it. For Christians it boils down to “who are we to question God?”

But, I thought we were having a secular discussion about whether we as individuals and as a collective are willing to accept things that have been considered to be immoral for thousands of years simply because people are going to do these things and there’s nothing we can do about it. If we are, are willing to let things go to the next level? Are we willing to accept whatever consequences these things may lead to?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Maybe we’ve reached our peak as a civilized species and our decline is inevitable.

Well, we haven't had anyone turned into a pillar of salt lately, so that's a plus. No huge floods that wiped out the whole earth and every creature in it, save two specimens. Hordes of people don't go prowling through towns killing babies. It's no longer acceptable to marry your sisters, or impregnate your daughters. We don't hold generations of families (or a whole gender) accountable for what one person does wrong.

I'd say we've come a long way, baby.

bcp

In My Opinion
Well, we haven't had anyone turned into a pillar of salt lately, so that's a plus. No huge floods that wiped out the whole earth and every creature in it, save two specimens. Hordes of people don't go prowling through towns killing babies. It's no longer acceptable to marry your sisters, or impregnate your daughters. We don't hold generations of families (or a whole gender) accountable for what one person does wrong.

Sorry but, You missed on the one I bolded.
think affirmative action.
Little white boys that arent even born yet are already paying for some slave owner a few hundred years ago.
Yes, this country does hold generations accountable for some perceived wrong.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
But, I thought we were having a secular discussion about whether we as individuals and as a collective are willing to accept things that have been considered to be immoral for thousands of years simply because people are going to do these things and there’s nothing we can do about it. If we are, are willing to let things go to the next level? Are we willing to accept whatever consequences these things may lead to?

How do you have a secular discussion about morality with a Christian?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Sorry but, You missed on the one I bolded.
think affirmative action.
Little white boys that arent even born yet are already paying for some slave owner a few hundred years ago.
Yes, this country does hold generations accountable for some perceived wrong.

Sorry, but I haven't noticed every white male being persecuted in this country. Many of them - most of them, in fact - are doing quite well for themselves.

PsyOps

Pixelated

You force me to make moral equivalencies.

Would you consider AIDS a rhetorical pillar of salt? Some would.

What about the atom bombs dropped on Japan? The ability of humans to destroy entire cities.

Would you consider abortion akin to going from town to town killing babies? Many would.

We certainly do try to put everyone under one umbrella because the misguided act of one person. Adam Lanza comes to mind.

You believe we’ve come a long way; I believe we teeter on the edge destruction. Look at what’s happening in N. Korea. One bomb and our world will change forever; because of one crazy man with his hand on the button.

Is there anything that you feel compelled to take a stand and say ‘no way this is going to happen in my town’?

PsyOps

Pixelated
That's fine. So if nothing has changed since creation, what morality are we going to roll back to?

Do you believe there were certain moral principles that led to the founding of this country? Do you believe, at all, that those principles are being lost? Things like family, honor, love of country, respect for the neighborhood you lived in; are things of the past. Are you really going to tell me that things are the same today as they were when you were a kid; from a moral standpoint? When you were a kid did you see shows like The Bachelor, Two and Half Men, the crap they show on MTV, the language, the violence, the near nudity…? Did you call your adult neighbors by their first names like they do today? Can you name all the things that have been removed from our schools what they have been replaced with? When a teen got pregnant when we were kids it was considered shameful. Today it’s almost considered a badge of honor. They even provide daycare centers in our schools for them. Every see that when you were in school?

The town I grew up in our parents didn't worry about us being gone all day on our bikes, just be home by dark. Remember that? Never EVER heard of anyone being raped or kidnapped in my town. Now that town you wouldn't let you kids out of your sight because it's become so unsafe. Things have certainly changed.

Does it bother you at all how much has changed just in our lifetime?

Last edited:

Pete

Repete
Do you believe there were certain moral principles that led to the founding of this country? Do you believe, at all, that those principles are being lost? Things like family, honor, love of country, respect for the neighborhood you lived in; are things of the past. Are you really going to tell me that things are the same today as they were when you were a kid; from a moral standpoint? When you were a kid did you see shows like The Bachelor, Two and Half Men, the crap they show on MTV, the language, the violence, the near nudity…? Did you call your adult neighbors by their first names like they do today? Can you name all the things that have been removed from our schools what they have been replaced with? When a teen got pregnant when we were kids it was considered shameful. Today it’s almost considered a badge of honor. They even provide daycare centers in our schools for them. Every see that when you were in school?

Does it bother you at all how much has changed just in our lifetime?

Many of the things you cite are indeed indication of societal errosion. However lets not paint the picture too perfectly of the "days of old". How many women got smacked up and lived in fear because of "old school" ideals about women being subservient? What other cultural things evolved into things that are in fact better?

I can see the lure of nostolgic pictures of the past but Leave it to Beaver was a TV show and not a reality.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Many of the things you cite are indeed indication of societal errosion. However lets not paint the picture too perfectly of the "days of old". How many women got smacked up and lived in fear because of "old school" ideals about women being subservient? What other cultural things evolved into things that are in fact better?

I can see the lure of nostolgic pictures of the past but Leave it to Beaver was a TV show and not a reality.

Leave it to Beaver represented what people wanted to see on their screens.

Are you willing to say that domestic abuse is any better today than, say, in the 50s? But, I agree we can point to a lot of things that have turned for the better. Civil rights, women’s rights, worker’s rights, no more child labor… I know these discussions tend to get unidirectional; so I don’t want to ignore where we have progressed. Some would argue (I’m not one of them) that women’s rights, women breaking into the workforce, becoming less the stay-at-home/housekeeper/caregiver to the children has led to more divorce and more competition between husband and wife. Some believe it has led to more neglect of our children because they are being raised by babysitters and daycare providers because both parents are gone all day working. Something that was really never heard of back in our youth. Some believe this has led to kids that are out of control. How many times has that been said: our kids are so out of control these days?

Generally speaking, have we declined or gotten better? Based on this discussion I guess it’s all relative.