Will be taking concealed carry class Oct. 5th.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
We need to go shootin' someday.:wink:

You ever shoot a UMP in .45??? THAT is fun! Because of the lower FPS, it almost feels like throwing big mud clods down range, like kids. Heavy, not harsh, just slinging it. The MP5 in 9mm is almost too light, way too easy to get carried away. Those smallish rounds, that much mass, maybe not enough 'You are shooting a GUN' feel??? Too effortless.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
You ever shoot a UMP in .45??? .

Nope. A buddy has a Thompson he's been dying for me to try out, but we never seem to have time to meet up and compare notes. I'm rather partial to all those 7.62x25 rippers myself..precisely because the control is so easy and yet the rate of fire so high. And the smaller round means more fit in a smaller space.

That said, I've certainly seen plenty of folks shooting 9mm autos at the events. Looks about the same to me...point and rip.

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Nope. A buddy has a Thompson he's been dying for me to try out, but we never seem to have time to meet up and compare notes. I'm rather partial to all those 7.62x25 rippers myself..precisely because the control is so easy and yet the rate of fire so high. And the smaller round means more fit in a smaller space.

That said, I've certainly seen plenty of folks shooting 9mm autos at the events. Looks about the same to me...point and rip.

Not the same feel. The Tommy, to me, has a harsher feel. I guess it's the blow back design v. the gas piston??? The UMP, man, it just wants to get on target and stay there.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Not the same feel. .

LOL..I would hope not. The two designs are what...70 years apart? I've rarely had the opportunity to shoot any "modern" autos. The ranges and events we go to that include full-auto firing are largely populated with folks shooting pre-ban and sample weapons. They are easier to purchase and some are almost affordable...I say "almost". For example, one guy we shoot with semi-regularly has a beautiful M1919 Browning .30, tripod and everything. He said he paid a little over 30 grand for the whole shebang but could get over 40 for it now.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
LOL..I would hope not. The two designs are what...70 years apart? I've rarely had the opportunity to shoot any "modern" autos. The ranges and events we go to that include full-auto firing are largely populated with folks shooting pre-ban and sample weapons. They are easier to purchase and some are almost affordable...I say "almost". For example, one guy we shoot with semi-regularly has a beautiful M1919 Browning .30, tripod and everything. He said he paid a little over 30 grand for the whole shebang but could get over 40 for it now.

Sweet!!!! Cheaper to own it than feed it!

Vince

Buddy of mine went full in to the Saiga VEPR thing (see one in my Joe Biden meme). He has one all tricked out with all the "evil features" money can buy. But boy does that thing blow when it comes to reliability. I gave half a thought to buying one before the "big ban" but he talked me out of it.
That's what I'm getting for my next gun. Saiga 12 ga drum fed.

Attachments

• Saiga.jpg
    Saiga.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 121

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Sweet!!!! Cheaper to own it than feed it!

He has a Barrett .50 and a converted M2 (converted to semi). Between those and the M1919, he told me that going through $2000 worth of ammo during one weekend fun shoot is not uncommon.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
He has a Barrett .50 and a converted M2 (converted to semi). Between those and the M1919, he told me that going through $2000 worth of ammo during one weekend fun shoot is not uncommon.

daymn a wife is cheaper

Do you feel qualified? Any good training? Or, was it pretty much a rubber stamp thing?

Yes. I doubt I will actually use it much though. As far as training it was mostly talking about where you can carry, when you should draw and what to do before and after. Demonstrating how to draw, etc.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Yes. I doubt I will actually use it much though. As far as training it was mostly talking about where you can carry, when you should draw and what to do before and after. Demonstrating how to draw, etc.

No stress shooting? No scenarios played out?

Instructor had someone try to break into his house. Guys new what he did because the logos , etc. are all over his truck. This once though he parked in the garage so they though he wasn't home and came to steal some guns. He heard the guy at the front door, grabbed a gun and threw the door open with the gun at the ready. Ordered the guy loudly to get on the ground and had his wife call 911. About this time he heard someone at the back door. So he is yelling loudly at his wife that he had the guy on the ground with a gun on him. Three other guys heard this and fled. Turned out to all be related. Sons and one cousin. Said it was very stressful and he had screwed up. If the guy had suddenly lunged at him and he shot him he may have been in trouble since he wasn't actually in the house.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Go take 'em. All you can get, just like motorcycle skills classes.

x10. I learned far more than I expected to, the first one I took, and had a much more open minded approach to the training the second time. Sure learned a lot about how little I actually knew....

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Instructor had someone try to break into his house. Guys new what he did because the logos , etc. are all over his truck. This once though he parked in the garage so they though he wasn't home and came to steal some guns. He heard the guy at the front door, grabbed a gun and threw the door open with the gun at the ready. Ordered the guy loudly to get on the ground and had his wife call 911. About this time he heard someone at the back door. So he is yelling loudly at his wife that he had the guy on the ground with a gun on him. Three other guys heard this and fled. Turned out to all be related. Sons and one cousin. Said it was very stressful and he had screwed up. If the guy had suddenly lunged at him and he shot him he may have been in trouble since he wasn't actually in the house.

That's awful

Larry Gude

Strung Out
x10. I learned far more than I expected to, the first one I took, and had a much more open minded approach to the training the second time. Sure learned a lot about how little I actually knew....

It's bizarre, being a guy and growing up on knack and luck and bumps and bruises and then finding training.... :lol:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
It's bizarre, being a guy and growing up on knack and luck and bumps and bruises and then finding training.... :lol:

Ya think? First defensive hand gunning course I attended was a "check the box" requirement for an assignment I was qualifying/applying for. I went somewhat "grudgingly"...until about 20 minutes after the first session started. I was very focused and attentive after that...