Woman arrested for attempted late-term abortion.

BOP

I don't disagree that some of those classes might be beneficial, however, I don't think those things fall into the schools lane of responsibility to teach.

Cooking, cleaning, banking, taxes, parenting etc are skills that should have been learned from their parents.
I learned 2 lessons about money and all that, in no particular order: 1) we don't talk about money, and 2) we don't have any money. That is it. The sum total of what I learned from my parental units about money.

PeoplesElbow

My parents grew up in a rural area (sorry SOMD is not rural) and the school taught business math that included things like balancing a checkbook, how loans worked etc, only the egghead kids had Algebra and I think it was the highest math class they had at their school. We have to get past this every kid is college material crap and not label the ones that are not as "retards", because that's what was done when I was in school (class of 92).

When I was in 7th grade in 1987 we had four electives throughout the year that were randomly assigned, the first one I got assigned was HomeEc, I was mortified. After about two weeks I began to love it, one I was the only guy in that class, and two we got to cook and eat, it was a lot of fun.

I can verify that HomeEc wasn't necessarily good, I know three different women that had it in the 60's in West Virginia, South Carolina, and Long Island NY that were taught if you don't cook a steak or porkchop until its as tough as shoe leather then it has blood oozing out and it will kill whoever eats it. To this day at least two of them cook the crap out of meat.

PeoplesElbow

We had a Family Life class, something like that, where the basics of child care and marriage and whatever were discussed. My son was born in an Army hospital and before they'd let me take him home I had to pass a class to diaper him, feed him, etc. (It wasn't just me, everyone had to do it.) I appreciated it because I had never cared for an infant before and I found it very helpful, but there were several women who were pissed that they had to prove they could take care of their baby.
I know someone who had to take a Life Skills class at the community college, she really didn't need it, but she enjoyed it immensely and told me stories about how dumb some of the students were in the class.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
My Life Skills classes were my mom and grandmas teaching me to cook, clean and sew.
Mom was a bookkeeper, so learned personal finances early in life.
Dad showed us hands on maintenance and repairs skill like chnging a tire of oil on the car.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
the school taught business math that included things like balancing a checkbook, how loans worked etc,
The best mandatory class I ever heard of was from middle school in Ketchikan, Alaska. Part of the 8th grade science class includes an overnight camping trip with no adults. The kids have to use the survival skills they are taught in class. All the people I talked to that participated loved it.

WHEN YOUR FINAL EXAM IS SURVIVING THE WILDERNESS​

For 45 years, eighth graders in Ketchikan, Alaska, have gone on an overnight survival trip to a remote island.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
The best mandatory class I ever heard of was from middle school in Ketchikan, Alaska. Part of the 8th grade science class includes an overnight camping trip with no adults. The kids have to use the survival skills they are taught in class. All the people I talked to that participated loved it.
How many pregnancies from the "cuddle to conserve body heat" lecture?