Yet another victim

tom88

Anyone driving NB on 235 around 4:30pm yesterday got to experience the aftermath of yet another instance of superior merge/turn lane driving! Another cycle rider did their best Superman impression while driving 60MPH down the lane that is designed and supposed to be used for merging or turning on/off odf 235. NOT A THRU LANE!!

I cringe every time I am at a stand still outside the Deloitte building and I see traffic part to allow people to make that U-turn because I just know some jackass is racing up the merge lane to avoid having to wait. I guess it will take a few more deaths to get our LEOs to actually do something other than cleanup work!

I travel from the base every day. At least four or five times a week, I will see some douche pull into the right lane, pass all the cars and try to pull back into the through lane. I then see a black and white or state trooper turn their lights on and pull the persons over. What more is it you want law enforcement to do?

MiddleGround

Have you done anything, called anyone, voiced your concerns anywhere except on this forum?

About half a dozen calls to the Leonardtown County and State barracks. Had my friend ask his friends still active with the state troopers what can be done. State LEO says contact the county. County LEO says they will "look into it." Mmmmm-Kay

Last edited:

tom88

Wow! Just took a post from your Commander-of-thought in Chief to get you on the anger wagon huh?

I don't know? THEIR JOB??!! Enforce the law?? Ticket or arrest those that break it!!

As glhs mentioned, they could do more with traffic enforcement than just radar. Hell, they could set up for radar and get the other infractions while they are there.

And, your analogy is crap. If my server was directly responsible for cooking the food or setting the prices (as far as I know, the LEO that patrols are directly responsible for enforcing the law) then it might add up.

I can't ever remember a police officer doing radar enforcement on that roadway during rush hour traffic or any where else during rush hour traffic. You can conflate their running speed enforcement at other times to have something to do with this problem, but I haven't seen it. I have seen them pull people over for the very reason you are describing. If that is the case, I ask again. What more would you have them do?

MiddleGround

I travel from the base every day. At least four or five times a week, I will see some douche pull into the right lane, pass all the cars and try to pull back into the through lane. I then see a black and white or state trooper turn their lights on and pull the persons over. What more is it you want law enforcement to do?

You see this every time huh?

:bs:

I drive that route EVERY SINGLE DAY. I have seen 1 time where a LEO has pulled anyone over. It is a rarity to even see a LEO on the 235 during rush hour. (hours being 3:30 to 5:30pm M-F) I have been driving that route for 5 years now.

Scratch that... I do see LEO all the time on that route. WHEN THEY ARE CLEANING UP AFTER AN ACCIDENT!

MiddleGround

I can't ever remember a police officer doing radar enforcement on that roadway during rush hour traffic or any where else during rush hour traffic. You can conflate their running speed enforcement at other times to have something to do with this problem, but I haven't seen it. I have seen them pull people over for the very reason you are describing. If that is the case, I ask again. What more would you have them do?

Reading comprehension... :doh:

If runnign radar is their prime objective (as discussed.. yet missed by you.. in previous posts) then I said they can run it during those times and also look for other violations.

And who is conflating now? Like I said above, I drive that route every damn day (many times a day) and have seen maybe 1 or 2 times where a LEO has had someone pulled over during rush hour! I think you might have enforcement and accident response mixed up :yay:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member

I drive that route EVERY SINGLE DAY. I have seen 1 time where a LEO has pulled anyone over. It is a rarity to even see a LEO on the 235 during rush hour. (hours being 3:30 to 5:30pm M-F) I have been driving that route for 5 years now.

Scratch that... I do see LEO all the time on that route. WHEN THEY ARE CLEANING UP AFTER AN ACCIDENT!

And I have posted before that I have seen LEO's out there pulling people over for lane running/jumping.

About half a dozen calls to the Leonardtown County and State barracks. Had my friend ask his friends still active with the state troopers what can be done. State LEO says contact the county. County LEO says they will "look into it." Mmmmm-Kay

Thank you. You could have just said that instead of the defensive response.

tom88

Where did I say I see it every time? I didn't. I said four or five times a week I see a douche being pulled over for this infraction. If you paid attention to law enforcement issues in St. Mary's County, you would know that the highest call volume is between 1600 and 2000 hours. That's calls for service where the law enforcement officers aren't able to be conducting traffic. Try attending a citizens academy or go to a community meeting. You might better educate yourself rather than ranting on an anonymous forum about your incorrect assumptions.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Anyone driving NB on 235 around 4:30pm yesterday got to experience the aftermath of yet another instance of superior merge/turn lane driving! Another cycle rider did their best Superman impression while driving 60MPH down the lane that is designed and supposed to be used for merging or turning on/off odf 235. NOT A THRU LANE!!

I cringe every time I am at a stand still outside the Deloitte building and I see traffic part to allow people to make that U-turn because I just know some jackass is racing up the merge lane to avoid having to wait. I guess it will take a few more deaths to get our LEOs to actually do something other than cleanup work!

I'm sorry, what part of RIGHT TURN ONLY don't you grasp? No where does it say "Merge". It's a turn ONLY lane (with arrows clearly indicating right turns).
Thank you and have a pleasant tomorrow.

PS I rarely see someone pull out of one of the driveways and make a complete 90 turn without crossing the solid white line into the right most travel lane.

BernieP

Resident PIA

One of my good friends is a retired state trooper. The officers were able to camp out wherever they A) were legally allowed to; and B) thought it would garner them the best results.

The "orders" they received for the shift were general service orders (i.e. traffic, patrol, etc.)

Patrol - that would mean covering mohre than one fixed location / moving within an area.
Particularly at rush hour, where exactly should they "camp out". It's not like there is a break down lane (shoulder) on 235. Not sure how a business would feel if they blocked their driveway while camping out.

The other problem is perception, how do you know that person isn't turning right at the next driveway? Mind you, it says must turn, what would you say if you were using it as a "merge" lane and were written up? Would you say you were merging.

MiddleGround

I can only guess that some of you are the very same asshats that use 235 as a race track. Some of your responses are ignorant!

Where did I say I see it every time? I didn't. I said four or five times a week I see a douche being pulled over for this infraction. If you paid attention to law enforcement issues in St. Mary's County, you would know that the highest call volume is between 1600 and 2000 hours. That's calls for service where the law enforcement officers aren't able to be conducting traffic. Try attending a citizens academy or go to a community meeting. You might better educate yourself rather than ranting on an anonymous forum about your incorrect assumptions.

Well then, I guess we should just ignore the problem then. Yep! That's a good excuse to use right there. "We are just too busy!" :doh:

How about you try talking with actual LEO and finding out what the problem is, where it is, and what THEY think needs to be done to fix it. Going to a "citizen's academy" isn't going to fix squat!

I'm sorry, what part of RIGHT TURN ONLY don't you grasp? No where does it say "Merge". It's a turn ONLY lane (with arrows clearly indicating right turns).

This is just ignorant! So then Mr. Iknoweverything.... I guess people moving from side roads like Chancellors or First Colony are screwed then huh? The only thing they can do is make a RIGHT TURN into the next shopping center huh?

Now, think about how ridiculous this statement is and get back to me :yay:

Patrol - that would mean covering mohre than one fixed location / moving within an area. Particularly at rush hour, where exactly should they "camp out". It's not like there is a break down lane (shoulder) on 235. Not sure how a business would feel if they blocked their driveway while camping out.

There are plenty of places for LEO to camp out and catch people. They never seem to have a problem doing it for running radar! One good example is the service road behind Chipotle. They could camp right there and ticket those who use that service road to evade the signal light at Chancellors. How about the service road behind the Wawa for those who use that route to do the same?

Plenty of places to enforce the law!

glhs837

Power with Control
Reading comprehension... :doh:

If runnign radar is their prime objective (as discussed.. yet missed by you.. in previous posts) then I said they can run it during those times and also look for other violations.

And who is conflating now? Like I said above, I drive that route every damn day (many times a day) and have seen maybe 1 or 2 times where a LEO has had someone pulled over during rush hour! I think you might have enforcement and accident response mixed up :yay:

Ever aimed a camera or otehr thing at moving things and try and se other stuff besides keeping on target? I have, and I'm here to tellya, you can keep the target on, of you can look for other stuff, but you aint really doing both. See my answer to Bernie below for more on why even if you could do both, it wouldnt matter.

PS I rarely see someone pull out of one of the driveways and make a complete 90 turn without crossing the solid white line into the right most travel lane.

Be realistic, you cant get out of anywhere unless you do use that as a merge. And people NOT using it to speed match traffic is one of the problems, although an annoyance rather than a danger, really.

Patrol - that would mean covering mohre than one fixed location / moving within an area.
Particularly at rush hour, where exactly should they "camp out". It's not like there is a break down lane (shoulder) on 235. Not sure how a business would feel if they blocked their driveway while camping out.

The other problem is perception, how do you know that person isn't turning right at the next driveway? Mind you, it says must turn, what would you say if you were using it as a "merge" lane and were written up? Would you say you were merging.

Which brings me to my point, unless you are in traffic, it's pretty hard to say whos actually using the lane right and not, becuase to judge that, you really need to see them bypass a lot of turn chances, leave, and then move to reenter. The only ones they usually get are the blatant ones who bypass in parking lots. Lots of them use it to advance, then cut back in before the parking lot. WE all see them, but you can only really see that from in traffic. And if you are a cop embedded in the flow, you would slow things down chasing that guy. Only way is a teo car pinch, one to spot, another ahead to motion the offender out of traffic and keep him there unitl you arrive.

tom88

How about you try talking with actual LEO and finding out what the problem is, where it is, and what THEY think needs to be done to fix it. Going to a "citizen's academy" isn't going to fix squat!

I guess you don't really grasp the concept of a citizens academy. Who do you think you are talking to in the law enforcement citizens academy. Firemen? The purpose of the academy is to bring in officers from each division so they can educate the public on what their goals, capabilities, obstacles and needs are. THIS is where you talk to the law enforcement officers.

I can tell you from doing this rather than sitting here complaining about what they do is one of their biggest hurdles is recruiting. The one fellow said recruiting is tough because of all the negative crap people say when they have no idea what cops do. Hmph.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I guess you don't really grasp the concept of a citizens academy. Who do you think you are talking to in the law enforcement citizens academy. Firemen? The purpose of the academy is to bring in officers from each division so they can educate the public on what their goals, capabilities, obstacles and needs are. THIS is where you talk to the law enforcement officers.

I can tell you from doing this rather than sitting here complaining about what they do is one of their biggest hurdles is recruiting. The one fellow said recruiting is tough because of all the negative crap people say when they have no idea what cops do. Hmph.

I'll put up $5 so MG can afford to equip himself and get started.

s-l300.jpg

Somebody else buy him a ticket book.

MiddleGround

I'll put up $5 so MG can afford to equip himself and get started.

View attachment 122908

Somebody else buy him a ticket book.

He'd put his eye out with that.

Here is to hoping that all of the above get T-boned and flown out. Maybe then you will understand how dangerous these people are instead of making jokes.

Sometimes, people just need to experience the negative before they realize the gravity of a situation. Kinda like children :yay:

MiddleGround

I'll wait to pass judgement. He is one of my co-workers. Management will update us later today when they receive further word.

Any update? Although, I'm quite sure your coworker won't admit if they were at fault (racing up the lane) Curious anyways.