"You can't hold me, take care of the kids...":

Qpid

Toxick said:
If they were looting food, you might have a point.

The footage that I saw this morning... there was no food being taken at all. And there were way too many sh*t-eating grins in the mix for my liking.

Well there is footage of people taking food, snacks, beer, juice, water out of Wal-Mart....

what someone is going to do with electronics is just DUMB. Those people aren't even thinking clearly...

but in concerns with those stealing what they NEED...all of a sudden it boils down to race once again with the media. the blacks stole it the whites found it....

double standards....no one can see that?

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
Qpid said:
Well there is footage of people taking food, snacks, beer, juice, water out of Wal-Mart....

what someone is going to do with electronics is just DUMB. Those people aren't even thinking clearly...

but in concerns with those stealing what they NEED...all of a sudden it boils down to race once again with the media. the blacks stole it the whites found it....

double standards....no one can see that?

You found one example where it was mentioned like that, great sample you got there. You are so hell bent on calling everything racist you are constantly seeing buggy men where there are none.

nomoney

They need to open all the grocery stores for take what you need and start shooting all the rest. Take a few helicopters and get it done. The looting and the carjackings would definantly come to a slow down. All those standing outside of the Childrens Hospital trying to break in; they need the first peppering with machine gun fire.

Qpid

AK-74me said:
You found one example where it was mentioned like that, great sample you got there. You are so hell bent on calling everything racist you are constantly seeing buggy men where there are none.

So now you need more than one example to acknowledge racism from the media... :lmao:

D E N I A L.

Not to mention...police were also looting!!!

Great example indeed.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Qpid said:
The fact was that criminal behavior was committed by both races (black & white) but one was protrayed as "looting" while the other one was portrayed as "finding".
I think you should quit getting your news from the DU. I've been watching the coverage of Katrina quite a bit and I haven't seen one single instance where race was mentioned at all regarding the looters. Yes, they show them on TV but what do you want them to do? Get some white actors out there so as not to offend your racist sensibilities?

Did you read my post about the woman that called in to Chris Core yesterday? She was a black woman, chastising Core for saying the looters should be shot. She asked, "Would you say that if those looters were white?" And Core was like, "I have no idea what color the looters are - do you?" And she replies, "Well, I assume they're black..."

She doesn't KNOW they're black - she ASSUMES they're black.

Now why do you suppose that is? And coming from a black woman, no less!!

Hot N Bothered

crabcake said:
:clap: :clap:

For poops and grins, what category was that one that came through SoMD two years ago that caused so many to be without power for several days? Hell, we had trees down all over the place up and down the road I lived on, no power for 3.5 days, parts of homes were damaged by wind and flying objects, and I'm not sure about flooding since my house was elevated and not near any water. I wanna say it was a cat 3, but I'm not sure. :ohwell:
By the time Izzy got to Maryland, it wasn't a hurricane at all, merely a tropical storm.

Toxick

Splat
Qpid said:

I have no doubt people are running off with food along with all the other stuff that they're stealing.

Qpid said:
but in concerns with those stealing what they NEED...all of a sudden it boils down to race once again with the media.

It does?

I think it boils down to race with you - but not anyone else. I didn't mention the race of the looters. I didn't hear the the announcers on the news mention their race. In fact, the above statement is the first time race entered my mind.

It was disgusting blatent theft no matter what color their skin is.

Qpid said:
the blacks stole it the whites found it....

As much as it sickens me to defend the media, I have to say: You need to quit watching the WKKK television network and judging all media based on what you see there.

I never heard anyone on tv or in any discussion boards say something ignorant like that.

Addendum: I just went back and saw your links. I can sort of see your point, although I think you're being overly sensitive. I don't think there was any racist intent (and I'm not sure the girl in that one picture is white anyway - she looks latina-ish).

Also that's one (shaky) example. That doesn't make the media the spearhead of the Vast White-Wing Conspiracy.

Last edited:

Toxick

Splat
Hot N Bothered said:
By the time Izzy got to Maryland, it wasn't a hurricane at all, merely a tropical storm.

It was enough to blow down my fence, and my screen door, and some tiles off my roof.

And to get totally screwed by my bastard insurance company.

"In Good Hands" my ass.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Qpid said:
The fact was that criminal behavior was committed by both races (black & white) but one was protrayed as "looting" while the other one was portrayed as "finding".
Okay, I just looked at both stories and I see what you mean. Doesn't surprise me - the AP is horrifyingly racist and this is just the most recent example.

They're liberal, you know, so that explains a lot.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
Qpid said:
So now you need more than one example to acknowledge racism from the media... :lmao:

D E N I A L.

Not to mention...police were also looting!!!

Great example indeed.

What you showed is not blantant racism , what I mean is one example could be inadvertent you start showing me that they are consistent in doing it then you might have a point.

Talk about DENIAL? You are in Denial that you are constantly looking for racism, look at the percentage of your posts that lead to the topic of racism.
You're the biggest racist on here!

meme

The Smart Hooker
I have to admit that the guy talked about is pretty sad. I even shed a tear here and there. Now they had a woman on the news last night crying and holding her husband's picture up because he decided to stay with the "trailer" instead of evacuating. I'm not knocking anyone that lives in a trailer :whistle: but why in the hell would you want to stay in a trailer when you know that there is a catagory 5 hurricane coming? :confused:

fttrsbeerwench

migtig said:
:yeahthat: Exactly, I've been through a lot of hurricanes and tropical storms, we never evacuated either. I remember as a kid being on Tybee Island for two weeks straight with no power, completely cut off from Savannah, due to storm surge. As an adult, I was at Camp Lejune when a hurricane blew thru, my neighborhood had a block party in base housing. Also, from what I know of LA, a lot of folks probably didn't believe anything was going to happen, after all everytime they (being the media) says something horrible is coming, it's usually a lot of hoopla over nothing. Yep, there is flooding and downed trees, but it's expected in low lying areas. Heck, it floods on Bull Rd in Savannah in the spring time just by regular rain. Nothing on this level of magnitude was actually expected nor believed in. It's kind of like the boogie man, he doesn't really exist until you see him up close and personal, and by then it's too late.
On that note..... I am beginning to rethink our plans.....Unless land gets really cheap. :shrug:

Mikeinsmd

meme said:
I have to admit that the guy talked about is pretty sad. I even shed a tear here and there. Now they had a woman on the news last night crying and holding her husband's picture up because he decided to stay with the "trailer" instead of evacuating. I'm not knocking anyone that lives in a trailer :whistle: but why in the hell would you want to stay in a trailer when you know that there is a catagory 5 hurricane coming? :confused:
Sad but he did it to himself. He was ordered to evacuate.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
Mikeinsmd said:
Sad but he did it to himself. He was ordered to evacuate.
I just browsed this entire thread... and I was interested to see several comments similar to my own from the other day, regarding a lack of sympathy for those that left themselves in harm's way.

I picked a sensitive bone with the religious folks who want to pray for all 'victims', which, in one way, is regrettable.

The current situation is pathetic and horrible; possibly worse than expected as virtual anarchy has sweeped through the region. And I do think there is blame to be delivered. Many thousands of citizens stayed at home, which resulted in their presence simply becoming an astronomical burden. But I wonder if city officials couldn't have done more to get the message out in the "projects" neighborhoods. (The projects neighborhoods, by the way, are where most of the refugees are coming from... and most of the residents there are black... which is why most of the looters are black.)

Last night Bill O'Reilly posited the idea that some people might have stayed in town just for the hope to go looting after the storm. I don't know how plausible that is, but a lot of people sure did run for the big screen t.v.'s when they got the chance. I'd like to see them lug that 27" for 10 miles when they don't even have a power supply for it.

Maybe next time there is a Cat. 5 (or high 4) rampaging towards a coastal area that is designed only to protect against a Cat. 3 there will be a more comprehensive respect for the warnings.

meme

The Smart Hooker
hvp05 said:
I just browsed this entire thread... and I was interested to see several comments similar to my own from the other day, regarding a lack of sympathy for those that left themselves in harm's way.

I picked a sensitive bone with the religious folks who want to pray for all 'victims', which, in one way, is regrettable.

The current situation is pathetic and horrible; possibly worse than expected as virtual anarchy has sweeped through the region. And I do think there is blame to be delivered. Many thousands of citizens stayed at home, which resulted in their presence simply becoming an astronomical burden. But I wonder if city officials couldn't have done more to get the message out in the "projects" neighborhoods. (The projects neighborhoods, by the way, are where most of the refugees are coming from... and most of the residents there are black... which is why most of the looters are black.)

Last night Bill O'Reilly posited the idea that some people might have stayed in town just for the hope to go looting after the storm. I don't know how plausible that is, but a lot of people sure did run for the big screen t.v.'s when they got the chance. I'd like to see them lug that 27" for 10 miles when they don't even have a power supply for it.

Maybe next time there is a Cat. 5 (or high 4) rampaging towards a coastal area that is designed only to protect against a Cat. 3 there will be a more comprehensive respect for the warnings.

I posted this in another thread but I really do feel bad for the innocent children/babies. God forbid another Cat 5 threatens somewhere in the U.S. hopefully this will show that this isn't a laughing matter and when they tell you to get out, you get out.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
meme said:
I posted this in another thread but I really do feel bad for the innocent children/babies. God forbid another Cat 5 threatens somewhere in the U.S. hopefully this will show that this isn't a laughing matter and when they tell you to get out, you get out.
Right. (I saw your other post.) I initially thought, "I don't feel bad for them if they don't evacuate and end up getting washed away." While that can be applied to the majority, there are many innocents (e.g., the infants and elderly, who found evacuation difficult if not impossible because they are dependent).

Then you have some idiots who simply defy explanation. Case in point, the surfers who inevitably want to catch the awesome storm surge waves. As Katrina was approaching the coastline, Fox NEWS had one reporter stationed on a beach and she was discussing the increasing activity. Not long after she mentioned the approaching danger, including waves at ~7 ft., a group of surfers could be seen running down to the beach to check things out.

Toxick

Splat
Toxick said:
Addendum: I just went back and saw your links. I can sort of see your point, although I think you're being overly sensitive. I don't think there was any racist intent (and I'm not sure the girl in that one picture is white anyway - she looks latina-ish).

Also that's one (shaky) example. That doesn't make the media the spearhead of the Vast White-Wing Conspiracy.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/katrina/looters.asp