You Democrats: Please Explain

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
Because it's much easier to fuk the people than bite the hands of the special interest groups who ensure these political windbags live comfortably the rest of their lives!!!

The Oyster Guy

Have you had to wait in line to get gas?

There is more then just supply and demand driving the market here as I pointed out earlier.

If folks are waiting on queue to buy gas, then the retailer isn't charging enough.

So the answer is to your question is no, I haven't seen any gas stations underpricing their product.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
If folks are waiting on queue to buy gas, then the retailer isn't charging enough.

So the answer is to your question is no, I haven't seen any gas stations underpricing their product.

:whoosh:

You talked about supply and demand.

Obvisouly there is enough supply to meet our needs, I haven't seen lines the likes of 30 years ago. So why do you think that there is not enough supply to meet demand again?

ImnoMensa

The bad thing about drilling more oil is that it will still be sold for outrageous prices until we change how oil is sold. As someone else pointed, oil drilled here will still be sold to someone else at the going rate.

So if we drill it and its sold at outrageous prices its Americans who are getting the money. Not the friggin Ayrabs. At least we can tax it , Cant tax Saudi.

ImnoMensa

I dont really uinderstand why the democrats dont want the oil drilled.

What the hell are they going to do with it when their paradise of solar powered vehicles arent using it.

I think the Democrat side of Capitol hill is filled with retards. Pardon the word mentally challenged.

Go G-Men

The bad thing about drilling more oil is that it will still be sold for outrageous prices until we change how oil is sold. As someone else pointed, oil drilled here will still be sold to someone else at the going rate.

Okay so here is the middle ground:

We drill all over the country (wherever we think there may be oil) and then the government takes over oil refining and drilling for oil... etc.. Pass a law that we can only sell it domestically...

We get lower prices, screw over other countries and best of all screw over big oil.

Thats a good plan I think...

Pisses off the liberals and conservatives and helps all Americans..

forestal

I'm the Boss of Me
Actually China isn't drilling for oil off our shores.

You jokers will really say just about anything to use up our oil supply quicker.

Pathological.

by Kagro X

Thu Jun 12, 2008 at 03:45:23 PM PDT

More of this sort of bluntness, please:
GOP claim about Chinese oil drilling off Cuba is untrue
Erika Bolstad and Kevin G. Hall | McClatchy Newspapers
last updated: June 11, 2008 08:31:54 PM
WASHINGTON — As Congress has debated energy policy over the past several days, an unusual argument keeps surfacing in support of drilling off the U.S. coastline and in Alaska's Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.
Why, ask some Republicans, should the United States be thwarted from drilling in its own territory when just 50 miles off the Florida coastline the Chinese government is drilling for oil under Cuban leases?
Yet no one can prove that the Chinese are drilling anywhere off Cuba's shoreline. The China-Cuba connection is "akin to urban legend," said Sen. Mel Martinez, a Republican from Florida who opposes drilling off the coast of his state but who backs exploration in ANWR.
"China is not drilling in Cuba's Gulf of Mexico waters, period," said Jorge Pinon, an energy fellow with the Center for Hemispheric Policy at the University of Miami and an expert in oil exploration in the Gulf of Mexico. Martinez cited Pinon's research when he took to the Senate floor Wednesday to set the record straight.
Who's guilty of spouting this particular line of bull?
Vice President Dick Cheney, in a speech Wednesday to the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, picked up the refrain.
Surprise!
But guess what? It wasn't a lie, it was "faulty intelligence!"
Cheney quoted a column by George Will, who wrote last week that "drilling is under way 60 miles off Florida. The drilling is being done by China, in cooperation with Cuba, which is drilling closer to South Florida than U.S. companies are."
The article also catches House Minority Leader John Boehner -- whose otherworldly tan is itself rumored to be of offshore Chinese manufacture -- repeating this crap, as well as relative nobody Rep. George Radanovich (R-CA). It also reportedly appeared in an Investor's Business Daily editorial earlier this week. Boehner and his tan, for their part, blame... The New York Times:
The office of House Minority Leader John Boehner defended the GOP drilling claims. "A 2006 New York Times story highlights lease agreements negotiated between Cuba and China and the fact that China was planning to drill in the Florida Strait off the coast of Cuba," said spokesman Michael Steel.
Boehner's tan had no comment, but was allegedly later sold for $136.38 a barrel.
Moral of the story: These guys will lie about absolutely anything. WMD. War and peace. POW rescues. The combat records of actual war heroes. Whether or not they marched with Martin Luther King. Everything.
And you can't "work out bipartisan compromise" with liars. Compromise requires at least two genuine positions to start with.

How you can not support the drilling of our offshore oil? Do you think China is going to take care of the environment down there better than we will? No, what you are afraid of is that the Republicans will be able to announce that they did something that actually helped America.

China's Drilling for Oil in America's Backyard, Republicans Say -- 06/11/2008

This is 2008, blowouts and wooden derricks are a thing of the past, take one for the team and relent in your stupidity just once.

GD this pisses me off.

AndyMarquisLIVE

Actually China isn't drilling for oil off our shores.

You jokers will really say just about anything to use up our oil supply quicker.

Pathological.

by Kagro X

Thu Jun 12, 2008 at 03:45:23 PM PDT

More of this sort of bluntness, please:
GOP claim about Chinese oil drilling off Cuba is untrue

Erika Bolstad and Kevin G. Hall | McClatchy Newspapers​

last updated: June 11, 2008 08:31:54 PM​

WASHINGTON — As Congress has debated energy policy over the past several days, an unusual argument keeps surfacing in support of drilling off the U.S. coastline and in Alaska's Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.​

Why, ask some Republicans, should the United States be thwarted from drilling in its own territory when just 50 miles off the Florida coastline the Chinese government is drilling for oil under Cuban leases?​

Yet no one can prove that the Chinese are drilling anywhere off Cuba's shoreline. The China-Cuba connection is "akin to urban legend," said Sen. Mel Martinez, a Republican from Florida who opposes drilling off the coast of his state but who backs exploration in ANWR.​

"China is not drilling in Cuba's Gulf of Mexico waters, period," said Jorge Pinon, an energy fellow with the Center for Hemispheric Policy at the University of Miami and an expert in oil exploration in the Gulf of Mexico. Martinez cited Pinon's research when he took to the Senate floor Wednesday to set the record straight.​

Who's guilty of spouting this particular line of bull?
Vice President Dick Cheney, in a speech Wednesday to the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, picked up the refrain.​
Surprise!

But guess what? It wasn't a lie, it was "faulty intelligence!"
Cheney quoted a column by George Will, who wrote last week that "drilling is under way 60 miles off Florida. The drilling is being done by China, in cooperation with Cuba, which is drilling closer to South Florida than U.S. companies are."​

The article also catches House Minority Leader John Boehner -- whose otherworldly tan is itself rumored to be of offshore Chinese manufacture -- repeating this crap, as well as relative nobody Rep. George Radanovich (R-CA). It also reportedly appeared in an Investor's Business Daily editorial earlier this week. Boehner and his tan, for their part, blame... The New York Times:
The office of House Minority Leader John Boehner defended the GOP drilling claims. "A 2006 New York Times story highlights lease agreements negotiated between Cuba and China and the fact that China was planning to drill in the Florida Strait off the coast of Cuba," said spokesman Michael Steel.​
Boehner's tan had no comment, but was allegedly later sold for $136.38 a barrel.
Moral of the story: These guys will lie about absolutely anything. WMD. War and peace. POW rescues. The combat records of actual war heroes. Whether or not they marched with Martin Luther King. Everything.
And you can't "work out bipartisan compromise" with liars. Compromise requires at least two genuine positions to start with.
DailyKOS :killingme

The Oyster Guy

:whoosh:

You talked about supply and demand.

Obvisouly there is enough supply to meet our needs, I haven't seen lines the likes of 30 years ago. So why do you think that there is not enough supply to meet demand again?

I :woosh: your misapplied :woosh:

You seem to be confused about the nature of Supply and Demand... the gas lines of 1973 were caused by government price controls that held prices artificially low. Without those controls, gas would have risen to a price at which consumers would have curtailed their rate of consumption, and the lines would have disappeared.

When the world is no longer willing to pay $135 dollars per barrel, then prices will begin to come down.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
I :woosh: your misapplied :woosh:

You seem to be confused about the nature of Supply and Demand... the gas lines of 1973 were caused by government price controls that held prices artificially low. Without those controls, gas would have risen to a price at which consumers would have curtailed their rate of consumption, and the lines would have disappeared.

When the world is no longer willing to pay $135 dollars per barrel, then prices will begin to come down.

You don't want to seem to acknowledge that there are other forces driving the oil market besides actual supply and demand. :ohwell:

vegmom

Bookseller Lady

Actually, I saw something similar on another blog:

MotherJones Blog: GOP Claims China Drilling Off Cuban Shores; Actually, That's False

The Congressional Research Service also debunks Republican claims:

"While there has been some concern about China’s potential involvement in offshore deepwater oil projects, to date its involvement in Cuba's oil sector has been focused on onshore oil extraction in Pinar del Rio province through its state-run China Petroleum and Chemical Corporation. (Sinopec)"

The Oyster Guy

You don't want to seem to acknowledge that there are other forces driving the oil market besides actual supply and demand. :ohwell:

...I was probably one of the first posters on the SoMD forums to recognize that there are other forces at work in the market as well. Here's a post I made on 5/20/08: http://forums.somd.com/politics/140492-us-billionaire-buffett-backs-obama-president.html#post2954324

On the other hand, you seem to think that gas prices have nothing to do with supply and demand because we don't have gas lines? Poppycock.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
...I was probably one of the first posters on the SoMD forums to recognize that there are other forces at work in the market as well. Here's a post I made on 5/20/08: http://forums.somd.com/politics/140492-us-billionaire-buffett-backs-obama-president.html#post2954324

On the other hand, you seem to think that gas prices have nothing to do with supply and demand because we don't have gas lines? Poppycock.

Wow, on 5/20 you realized there were other forces at work? :faint:

I never said it had NOTHING to do with supply and demand, however the huge and sudden increases have less to do with supply and demand and more to do with :jameo:

Is demand high? Yes
Is it so high that production can not keep up? No

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I grew up in Pittsburgh, but we often went to a summer cottage outside of Oil City, PA, which was where Wolf's Head Oil had a huge refinery. Wolf's Head also had a lot of oil wells in the area, and you would see the pipelines running here and there carrying the oil from the well sites to the refinery, and then the trucks taking the gas and oher products out to the retailers. Seemed like a pretty straight-up operation then. But the way things work now, all that nearby PA crude would get sold on the oil market the same as oil from Saudi Arabia. If the Wolf's Head refinery was still up and running, they would be paying $130+ for a barrel of oil that was pumped a mile away, and the gas they produced would be sold for the same price as gas made from oil that was produced in a war zone and shipped around the world.

So I have to wonder how we can lower the price of oil by doing more domestic drilling if we're not going to also change the way oil is bought and sold on the market?

Wrong kind of oil.. Oil City oil is paraffin based not petroleum based.. it's used for lubrication only.. Their oil sales are nowhere near $130 a barrel, more than likely.

And if you know ANYthing about Oil City.. it did a lot for them >15 years ago, now it's a welfare city/ county.

Last edited:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Oil City, PA, which was where Wolf's Head Oil had a huge refinery. Wolf's Head also had a lot of oil wells in the area,

And I'm assuming when you were a kid implies more than 10 years ago.. when Pennzoil AND Quaker State were both headquartered in the little town of Oil City.

I lived in downtown Oil City, and we had neighbors who had wells in their backyards.. we also had wells all along the bike trail on the Allegheny River.. and oil trucks would drive around like the milk trucks do to dairy farms, from well to well emptying out their storage tanks.

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
Wow, on 5/20 you realized there were other forces at work? :faint:

I never said it had NOTHING to do with supply and demand, however the huge and sudden increases have less to do with supply and demand and more to do with :jameo:

Is demand high? Yes

Agree, even OPEC told Bush point blank that their is no need to increase production because they don't see any new market demands. But are there, maybe? Enough to justify the current cost at the pump? Fuk NO, but thanks to the speculators and analyst who set the Market Price on wall street, we the people get to grab our ankles while big oil and our government make windfall profits. That's right, why the heck would our own government want to do anything about this situation when their getting paid on the backs of working class Americans. This is nothing more than a heavy taxation on the people and in true political fashion, the windbag politicians can point fingers to distract from the truth!!! :wench:

The Oyster Guy

Is demand high? Yes

Who claimed production and demand aren't in balance? That's the very essence of free markets - the price of the commodity will float to a level at which sellers and buyers maintain equilibrium in the marketplace.

If for a moment, there are MORE potential buyers than sellers, then 1) the sellers raise their prices 2) the weak buyers get priced out 3) the strong buyers and the sellers make the deal. In the end, there is an EQUAL number of buyers and sellers, but the market price goes up. Conversely, if there is an excess of potential sellers over buyers, then 1) buyers lower their bidding price, 2) motivated sellers agree to the lower bids in order to move their product, and 3) the reluctant sellers get left out. In the end, there is an equal number of buyers and sellers, but the market price goes down.

Sure, the speculators are speculating, but they've been right so far: the world is willing to pay $135 per barrel of oil. That's supply and demand.

When the world is unwilling to pay $135, and the speculators start losing money on the oil futures they purchased, then the price will come down. That's supply and demand.