Your daughter's wedding or your retirement?

Would you wreck your retirement to pay for wedding

• Total voters

crazykitty

Sounds like if you have a daughter(s), you should start putting 2 funds away for them, a college fund and a wedding fund. I dont remember my wedding costing this much. Geez!

lovinmaryland

I've had 2 weddings in our family with our daughters costing between 15,000 and 20,000 dollars each. Modest at around 100+ guests and a wonderful church wedding and reception. You have to expect the happy couple to contribute to their day too. Gone and the days of Father of the Bride stuff. IT's all too expensive now. You have to cut back where you can and learn to barter if you have a service you can barter with. Print your own invitations (michaels kits) and we did our own fresh flower bouquets and arrangements. It's do'able and if you think ahead and include the couple's finances, it'll be manageable. After all... it's their day!
We contributed to ours. My parents gave me a budget and anythign over that we were responsible for. I wish they would have said this is the budget but if you want to skip the big ta da and just hit Vegas you can have X amount of $$$$ :lol:
Wow... you contributed over 15k and for just over 100 people and that didn't cover it all... that sounds much higher than I was thinking it should. :ohwell:

My cousin just had her wedding this past December and it was over 20k

They had the CUTEST flower girl ever too!!!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 101

Wenchy

Hot Flash
My daughter has been encouraged to elope and tell us about it after the fact. She has no problem with this.

Vince

Curious... what is your estimate of what a "normal type middle class wedding" cost today?
Well since I'm middle class and my daughter got married about 4 years ago, I can tell you exactly what I paid for it. I gave the daughter $5,000 and about another $1000 on top of that. She got enough from the ex to pay for her wedding dress and mine went for the rental of the space and food. It was a great wedding. I figure a total of $10K, if that. If you're going to go nuts and spend 15 or 20K on a wedding, tell them to elope. Besides, I just got done paying for her college to an excess of $40K.

Roman

My Father said that he would pay for a nice Wedding, or we could opt for a JOP Wedding instead, and he would give us the difference. We opted for the JOP, and the Cash. Our Wedding Cost us $8.00, and we had fun with the Cash. This was in 1971, and I'm PROUD to say, that we are still together. As said in another Post, the more expensive it is, the Couple doesn't seem to stay together very long. Go for the JOP, and if it lasts for 10+ years, then..have a BIG celebration & let the Bride & Groom pay for it!!! :cheesy:

b23hqb

PREMO Member
No way parents wreck their retirement. That option is just stupid.

Think about it. 2.5 years ago, I (not my wife) offered my daughter 5 grand to go down to the courthouse with us. She declined.

We gave a budget of 10 grand, which I thought was extravagant. The Church was free (our church). With her dress, which was beautiful and what she wanted, the reception at a reception hall, which attendees are still talking about, we still had a grand left, which the bride and groom pocketed for their honeymoon (a week long cruise).

People go crazy for weddings. Especially here in Fl, implicitly Hispanics, with no insult or malice intended.

It seems to be ingrained in Hispanic DNA to go absolutely nuts for weddings and receptions, including massive debt, often at $25,000 - $50, 000.00.

The wedding is a wedding. The receptions are a blast. But worth that much money?

Hey, we had a good time. Numerous times.

But I think not, as far as money goes.....

Last edited:

belvak

Happy Camper
We got married in 1982, and I don't know exactly how much it cost. My folks offered me the choice of a wedding with pretty much all the bells and whistles, or we could keep it small and get dining room and living room furniture, carpet, etc. for our apartment. We opted for the small wedding (less than 200) with a buffet reception at the American Legion. I think some brides today pay more for their gown than my parents did for the entire wedding!! Lucky for us, so far, our daughter says she'll be happy with a ceremony and reception in the backyard!! We'll see...

sm8

Our wedding cost 40 bucks 20 for the license and 20 for the ceremony at the court house, and we are coming up on our 12th anniversary

itsbob

I bowl overhand
That's ridiculous. Statistically the marriage will end in divorce anyway, so you get to be a broke old person eating cat chow because you funded a wedding that didn't even make it to the 5-year mark.

:yeahthat:

If the reason the daughter is getting married is being madly in love with the man she's marrying she won't care about the size or the cost of the wedding, and would even happily do the JP thing at the courthouse in a pair of jeans.

Now if the reason she is getting married is to have a HUGE exorbitant wedding, she probably doesn't care WHO she's marrying as long as she can marry somebody to get her fantasy wedding.

It's a no brainer.

Not going in debt up to my ass to pay for their school (am in debt enough paying for MY education), be ridiculous to do it for a wedding, and would even be MORE ludicrous if THEY went into to debt for their wedding.

DaisyDuke

My wedding was around $20K-ish....lasted 5 years....waste of money. If I ever get married again (and that's a big "if") I'm eloping.

There were about 200 guests....after feeding them, photographer, attire, cake, alcohol...it all adds up. :shrug:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Yep! I'd even stretch it to go as far as $15K. I've been to a few weddings in the last few years and none of them were over $15K and the average number of attendees were around 200.

We've had 200 or more at our Memorial Day parties, and paid WAAAAAAY less than 15K to have everyone over..

That includes the kid entertainment.. Moon Bounce, Cotton Candy machine, Ice machine and jello shots..

Turkeys, Butts.. Jello wrestling ring... Wet T-Shirt Contest..

ATV Mattress races...

sockgirl77

We've had 200 or more at our Memorial Day parties, and paid WAAAAAAY less than 15K to have everyone over..

That includes the kid entertainment.. Moon Bounce, Cotton Candy machine, Ice machine and jello shots..

Turkeys, Butts.. Jello wrestling ring... Wet T-Shirt Contest..

ATV Mattress races...

:killingme