Your gerber...

Hubby got his hands on a seed catalog and now wants to start this year's garden off with seedlings grown in his "bed" rather than stick to the "let's go to the green house and buy already established plants" method that's worked for use years before...:banghead:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
...they worth that much to you? That's a lotta heat. And I think they need lights, too.

OMG! Bob!! You can put in a greenhouse, grow tomatoes all year, then sell them to people like me! What a great idea!!!!

:yahoo:

I mean, if you're going to have two or three plants, you might as well have 10 or 20, right?

Larry Gude

Strung Out

Hubby got his hands on a seed catalog and now wants to start this year's garden off with seedlings grown in his "bed" rather than stick to the "let's go to the green house and buy already established plants" method that's worked for use years before...:banghead:

...does he bake his own bread? Brew his own beer? I admire the pioneer spirit.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

This is probably similar to my tomato growing. And my fried chicken. And my oil changing. He just wants to prove to himself that he can do it and, once he does, he'll go back to the easy way of having someone else do it.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
OMG! Bob!! You can put in a greenhouse, grow tomatoes all year, then sell them to people like me! What a great idea!!!!

I mean, if you're going to have two or three plants, you might as well have 10 or 20, right?

That's my thought.

I'll have a tomato only greenhouse.. no cross polination with yucky stuff like cucumbers or or or or... ummmm.. cantaloupes..

I LOVE love LOOOOOOVE fresh beefeater tomatoes right off the vine.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

...how much are you willing to pay for tomatoes? Does anyone figure there's a darn good reason they're hard to come by in Maryland through the winter?

...does he bake his own bread? Brew his own beer? I admire the pioneer spirit.

His mom and did did... but poor guy married a "that's what they make stores for" kinda gal...:biggrin:

My bro... who lives in Frederick I might add... makes his own wine from his own berries and fruit.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
...how much are you willing to pay for tomatoes? Does anyone figure there's a darn good reason they're hard to come by in Maryland through the winter?

If she has some other sucker growing him for her, and sucking up the cost.. I'm thinking FREE!!

Besides, if it doesn't work out I'll turn it from a green house to a hottub enclosure.... or an indoor swimming pool..

Enthusiast & Mini Pro Greenhouses

Last edited:
...that's why you jar the stuff, en masse, in season. I don't care how many lights he puts in the thing, it ain't gonna be near enough.

Jar smar.... I freeze mine. Less hassle. When my bro and sis come over for Christmas Eve... I always pull out and thaw some salsa and it taste like it just came out of the garden.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

I can't force this in January either;

Attachments

• apr182007.JPG
    apr182007.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 100

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
I can't force this in January either;

You know, that's some serious torture there, showing us that kind of stuff in the middle of January when the weather forecast is calling for single digit temps in the next few days!

torture, plain & simple, there oughta be a law....

(now how could I turn that into a screensaver...... I know, it's copyrighted so I can't but it sure woulda been nice..... :drool:)

Larry Gude

Strung Out
You know, that's some serious torture there, showing us that kind of stuff in the middle of January when the weather forecast is calling for single digit temps in the next few days!

torture, plain & simple, there oughta be a law....

(now how could I turn that into a screensaver...... I know, it's copyrighted so I can't but it sure woulda been nice..... :drool:)

It was supposed to make people happy, not sad!

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
It was supposed to make people happy, not sad!

I'd be happy if you told me you were selling them RIGHT NOW and I could come and buy some to put in pots all around my living room so I could pretend that it's Spring and I'm not sitting here with my mukluk slippers and fleece blanket trying to stay warm while typing on a keyboard!

I can't get to the nursery to buy any flowering plants until next weekend (traveling to PA to set up Mom's wireless this weekend -- shiver, shiver, cold, cold) :bawl:

On a positive note, I did receive a gift certificate to a local nursery for Christmas (yeah, I didn't say "the holiday"!) so I can spend even more since I have some "free money"!!!:dye: