Accident W/Injuries Point Lookout Rd & Aster Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope a few folks see this thread and a few take the time to think about this. I see folks every now and again with an unbuckled child. Even hear calls go out on the scanner where folks call the Police after having seen one.

Takes a few bucks and just a moments time. Buckle those kids in peeps. :yay:

Also be aware while you are driving...

I travel this same route each day to work and I can not tell you how many times I see people that have to slam on their brakes because the car ahead has stopped and is waiting to turn... the car behind the one turning ends up panic braking...

I don't know if they are just not paying attention, texting, on the phone or what...

but please put some space between you and the car ahead of you.

prayers to the families involved in this tragedy.

Also be aware while you are driving...

I travel this same route each day to work and I can not tell you how many times I see people that have to slam on their brakes because the car ahead has stopped and is waiting to turn... the car behind the one turning ends up panic braking...

I don't know if they are just not paying attention, texting, on the phone or what...

but please put some space between you and the car ahead of you.

prayers to the families involved in this tragedy.

Also keep checking your rear view mirror if you are the one who is stopped.

Ibelieve

A week late and $3 short
Update

UPDATE: Tragic Three-Car Accident in Callaway - Southern Maryland News, Charles County, Calvert County and St. Mary's County News

It states the person who hit from behind was attempting to pass on the shoulder WHICH IS ILLEGAL. Nobody said it was done intentionally, but he did break the law and has now caused a lot of damage. I also said that I felt badly for him as well. Had he obeyed the law, been paying attention, not texting, whatever the circumstances, this tragedy could have been completely avoided.

Also keep checking your rear view mirror if you are the one who is stopped.

I do that instinctively if I have to brake hard or stop. Gives me a chance to sneak forward a bit or plan an escape if I see the car behind me isn't stopping in time.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Ibelieve;3943459It states the person who hit from behind was attempting to pass on the shoulder WHICH IS ILLEGAL. [/QUOTE said:
I believe you can pass on the shoulder if there is no solid line. Can anyone confirm this?

I believe you can pass on the shoulder if there is no solid line. Can anyone confirm this?

This was argued at length in another forum. General consensus is that passing on the right if you cross a solid line is not permitted, but others insist is is if the car in front is stopped for a left turn. Broken or dashed lines on the right, generally it's OK to pass.

Last edited:

HeavyChevy75

Podunk FL
I drive this route 3 or 4 days a week. When making the left onto Whirlwind or Chingville people pass me all the time on the right hand side.

I feel horrible for that family and everyone that is affected.

There is no reason that the child should not have been in restraints. I take my friend's little boy in my truck and check his car seat straps 3 or 4 times becuse I am so nervous about missing something.

SoMDGirl42

Because a two year old, assuming they are not enormously large for their age should be not only buckled but in an appropriate child seat..

I have an enormously large 2 year old. The average weight for a 5 point harness on a car seat is 35 pounds. She was over this as well as her head was above the top of the car seat. I went out and spent 179.00 each for three new car seats that have the 5 point harness, adjustable head rest for taller kids, and are approved for the 5 point harness to 65 pounds. I'm a single mother, and forking out almost 600 dollars for new car seats wasn't easy, but I know she'll be safer and I've done was I felt was best for her safety. She is 3 1/2 now and 51 pounds, so I have some time left in this seat before I convert it to a booster seat with a seat belt. I plan to keep kids in the 5 point harness as long as it's safe to do so.

For those of you with toddlers, please remember to keep an eye out for the carseat "fit" for your child. Just because you can fit your kid in the carseat and buckle it, doesn't mean it is safe if your child is over the weight limit or their head is above the back of the seat.

Prayers for this little boy, and may his mommy rest in peace.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
This was argued at length in another forum. General consensus is that passing on the right if you cross a solid line is not permitted, but others insist is is if the car in front is stopped for a left turn. Broken or dashed lines on the right, generally it's OK to pass.

That area does have the dashed lines for passing on the right.
I drive it every day.

G1G4

Find em Hot, Leave em Wet
I tried to see it in the pictures, couldn't decide what was there.
Thanx.

If you look in a few of the pictures, you can see on the right hand side that the lane is bulged over, for vehicles to pass.

Ibelieve

A week late and $3 short
That area does have the dashed lines for passing on the right.
I drive it every day.

Okay, so if it does have the dashed lines, it is perfectly legal and so I apologize. The following was taken from Maryland General Assembly website. There is also a thread from 2004 on the forums that discusses it (and may be more).

"The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass a vehicle on the right only if (1) the overtaken vehicle is making or about to make a left turn; (2) on an unobstructed highway unoccupied by parked vehicles that is wide enough for two or more lines of vehicles moving in the same direction as the overtaking vehicle; or on any one-way roadway if unobstructed, and wide enough for two or more lines of moving vehicles. In the above circumstances, the driver of a vehicle may pass on the right only if it is safe to do so. The driver of a vehicle may not overtake and pass another vehicle on the right by driving off
the roadway. The driver of a vehicle who passes on the right unlawfully or drives off the roadway while passing on the right is guilty of a misdemeanor and is subject to a maximum fine of $500. The prepayment penalty assessed by the District Court is $110 and MVA must assess one point against the driver’s license. If the violation contributes to an accident, the prepayment penalty increases to $150 and three points must be assessed against the driver’s license."

As DoWhat said, there are dashed lines which would make it legal, so I am sorry. However, the argument here is now what constitutes "roadway?"

Regardless, I should have not gotten off topic. This is a tragedy for ALL involved any way you look at it. And my thoughts and prayers go out to anyone touched by this.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Okay, so if it does have the dashed lines, it is perfectly legal and so I apologize. The following was taken from Maryland General Assembly website. There is also a thread from 2004 on the forums that discusses it (and may be more).

"The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass a vehicle on the right only if (1) the overtaken vehicle is making or about to make a left turn; (2) on an unobstructed highway unoccupied by parked vehicles that is wide enough for two or more lines of vehicles moving in the same direction as the overtaking vehicle; or on any one-way roadway if unobstructed, and wide enough for two or more lines of moving vehicles. In the above circumstances, the driver of a vehicle may pass on the right only if it is safe to do so. The driver of a vehicle may not overtake and pass another vehicle on the right by driving off
the roadway. The driver of a vehicle who passes on the right unlawfully or drives off the roadway while passing on the right is guilty of a misdemeanor and is subject to a maximum fine of $500. The prepayment penalty assessed by the District Court is $110 and MVA must assess one point against the driver’s license. If the violation contributes to an accident, the prepayment penalty increases to $150 and three points must be assessed against the driver’s license."

As DoWhat said, there are dashed lines which would make it legal, so I am sorry. However, the argument here is now what constitutes "roadway?"

Regardless, I should have not gotten off topic. This is a tragedy for ALL involved any way you look at it. And my thoughts and prayers go out to anyone touched by this.

Off roadway would be "off pavement" .... example he drove into your yard (narrow shoulder) to get around several cars that were turning left or thru the ditch, or grass area.

Status
Not open for further replies.