Back Creek Bistro Closing

Blister

Driving a reasonable distance for a meal isn't a problem for us, we have often centered day trips to DC, Bmore, Alexandria, or Annapolis around a restaurant we wanted to try. However if I am making the plan, I refuse to wait in line to spend my money at a restaurant. If they won't take a reservation, they don't need my business. When just stopping in if there is a bar or lounge, half an hour wait is about my limit. Tell me to stand outside and I'm leaving. When out with family or friends that are making the plans, sometimes I have to go along to get along, but under protest.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Driving a reasonable distance for a meal isn't a problem for us, we have often centered day trips to DC, Bmore, Alexandria, or Annapolis around a restaurant we wanted to try. However if I am making the plan, I refuse to wait in line to spend my money at a restaurant. If they won't take a reservation, they don't need my business. When just stopping in if there is a bar or lounge, half an hour wait is about my limit. Tell me to stand outside and I'm leaving. When out with family or friends that are making the plans, sometimes I have to go along to get along, but under protest.

I still remember the 2-hour drive and the 1 to2-hour wait for a table...with the whole fan damily....when we would make our annual pilgrimage to eat at Hausner's in Baltimore. That was 40+ years ago...but the place was so amazing I remember it like yesterday.

Heck..our 2 to 3 times a year trips to Evans Seafood back in the 70s were always due to my Grandfather who would travel the 2 hours from his home in northern VA to St. George's Island several times a year just for a visit with us and a visit to that restaurant. And Evans was another place that took no reservations and accepted no credit cards.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
See, dining out is a form of entertainment for me. I won't leave my house to watch a movie, and you better believe I won't stand in line for tickets, food, or anything else. I don't care to go to concerts or fairs or places teeming with humanity and parking nightmares. But I will happily drive an hour to have dinner somewhere cool. I cook, and Monello cooks, and we genuinely enjoy it, so going out to eat isn't about feeding ourselves so much as entertaining ourselves with food. :jet:

I forget frequently that not everyone feels that way. So when I go, "What?? Why on earth would/wouldn't you..." it's just me thinking everyone is me.

That said, there's some BBQ place south of Austin that my son says EVERYONE goes to because it's the BEST and you have to get there EARLY! to get a place in line. It's about an hour and a half drive from his house. I admit I'm tempted, but pretty much all TX BBQ places are great so I can't see what would be so special about one pit that you'd drive an hour and a half and stand in line waiting to get in.

pilot

I consider Back Creek Bistro to be a dinner place. Problem is, I live in St. Mary's and getting over the bridge can be a real problem at dinner time. One time we had a reservation at Back Creek Bistro and had to cancel because the bridge was so backed up that it was clear we weren't going to be able to get across any time soon. For that reason, we very rarely eat in Calvert unless it's for lunch.

Anyway, that is why I, personally, stopped going to the bistro.

tipsymcgee

It's not the hour-plus drive to a restaurant that's the problem. It's the ride home after filling your belly that deters me, though we often drive for day trips or afternoon trips that include a dinner out on the way back.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I consider Back Creek Bistro to be a dinner place. Problem is, I live in St. Mary's and getting over the bridge can be a real problem at dinner time. One time we had a reservation at Back Creek Bistro and had to cancel because the bridge was so backed up that it was clear we weren't going to be able to get across any time soon. For that reason, we very rarely eat in Calvert unless it's for lunch.

Anyway, that is why I, personally, stopped going to the bistro.
Sometimes, if you call to say you will be late due to the bridge traffic, your reservation will be held. Been there, done that.

pilot

Sometimes, if you call to say you will be late due to the bridge traffic, your reservation will be held. Been there, done that.

Sure, but I just didn't feel like sitting in traffic over the bridge for an hour--not when there are plenty of good restaurants on the St. Mary's side.

pilot

The other issue I've had with restaurants on Solomon's in particular is that, in recent years, parking has become a problem. I just got tired of the crowds. I still go to Ruddy Duck, but then they have a nice big parking lot.

RPMDAD

See, dining out is a form of entertainment for me. I won't leave my house to watch a movie, and you better believe I won't stand in line for tickets, food, or anything else. I don't care to go to concerts or fairs or places teeming with humanity and parking nightmares. But I will happily drive an hour to have dinner somewhere cool. I cook, and Monello cooks, and we genuinely enjoy it, so going out to eat isn't about feeding ourselves so much as entertaining ourselves with food. :jet:

I forget frequently that not everyone feels that way. So when I go, "What?? Why on earth would/wouldn't you..." it's just me thinking everyone is me.

That said, there's some BBQ place south of Austin that my son says EVERYONE goes to because it's the BEST and you have to get there EARLY! to get a place in line. It's about an hour and a half drive from his house. I admit I'm tempted, but pretty much all TX BBQ places are great so I can't see what would be so special about one pit that you'd drive an hour and a half and stand in line waiting to get in.

Probably Franklins

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/09/what-to-expect-at-franklins-barbecue-in-austin.html

I just got off the phone with Im_Me and she says that it's because local restaurants tend not to advertise and people don't realize they're there. Is that it? The owners need to step up their marketing game?

I've lived in Calvert for 10 years and my mom's family is from Calvert so I consider myself pretty familiar with the area. However I had never heard of Back Creek Bistro until last year when my mom's high school had their reunion there.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Has anybody found out yet if it is because of lack of business or because Fitz just wants out of the business?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Has anybody found out yet if it is because of lack of business or because Fitz just wants out of the business?

From the website...

Dear friends,

I have decided to close the Bistro. The final open day will be Saturday, October 24, 2015.

After 5.5 glorious years of having the best restaurant guests and friends in Southern Maryland, it is time for me to end this thrill ride. I very much appreciate your patronage over the years and I especially value your friendship.

I will miss all of you.

​We at the Bistro would love to have a final time to serve you and thank you for making the Bistro a special place. I hope you can stop by this week for dinner, or just a drink.

Your host,

Fitz

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

The latest is ...: It really does seem the the owner of the Bistro did in fact lose that loving feeling for his restaurant. Now enter the owner of Hidden Harbour Cafe who will be taking over the Bistro space and be operating by the end of November under a new name. Not Hidden Harbor or Back Creek Bistro. BTW, Hidden Harbor Cafe, the owner, I forget her name, is/was also located at Calvert Marina down by the docks and has received good reviews. I know some here now hate Yelp, but here ya go ... http://www.yelp.com/biz/hidden-harbor-dowell