Big game hunter dies after shot elephant falls and squishes him

Wishbone

I hunt deer in Maryland to help manage a species that requires management. There are too many here, they cause accidents they cause crop damage. An African or Asian elephant does none of these things and they do not require management. Why is that being a hypocrite ? Because I kill animals for meat, not sport ? You can't possibly equate a deer to an elephant.
They require management to perpetuate the species, as its endangered.

They are being managed on a preserve, animals designated for the hunt are culled for a reason, and the hunt is priced for funds to continue the operation.

Would you prefer they just die out?

Bonehead

Please tell me how killing a culled animal helps an endangered species. I get the money aspect and the meat being used by the locals, otherwise allow nature to take it's own course.

Wishbone

Please tell me how killing a culled animal helps an endangered species. I get the money aspect and the meat being used by the locals, otherwise allow nature to take it's own course.

By managing the species on the preserve, they encourage and actively succeed in increasing their numbers. The canned hunts pay for that work.

By "allow nature to take it's own course" you would be leaving them open to roam, the strongest, largest tusked to be poached, animals left to starve off etc. when thier numbers are already in danger.

As I understand it from someone that went on one of these years back, the animal is selected by the management. You don't get to kill their best specimen.

Also, I can't swear to this but I believe the ivory is STILL illegal and that would not be kept.

Last edited:

black dog

Free America

It's no different than here in the US, hunters and sportsman pay the brunt of the cost of Conservation. They are also the ones that tend to do volunteer work with animal Conservation. If there was no true Conservation going on in Africa, the elephants and many other animals would have been gone decades ago.
You seem to toss around words like culled and canned like every hunt in Africa is like killing wild pigs in Ohio in a fenced in 1,000 acre farm. Are there canned hunts in Africa? Sure there are, but that's certainly not the only way to harvest one of the big 5.

Last edited:

Clem72

Also, I can't swear to this but I believe the ivory is STILL illegal and that would not be kept.

Only illegal for us, I am sure they sell it to China or someplace else that doesn't give a rats ass about international sanctions on Ivory.

black dog

Free America
Only illegal for us, I am sure they sell it to China or someplace else that doesn't give a rats ass about international sanctions on Ivory.

That seems to always be a constantly changing law, quite a few African countries have literally 10's of tons of Ivory stockpiled in state owned warehouses. Occasionally a few tons of it just seem to vanish in thin air. Lots of things in Africa seen to vanish in thin air.

Last edited:

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

I hunt deer in Maryland to help manage a species that requires management. There are too many here, they cause accidents they cause crop damage. An African or Asian elephant does none of these things and they do not require management. Why is that being a hypocrite ? Because I kill animals for meat, not sport ? You can't possibly equate a deer to an elephant.

My, my, aren't you a selfish prick. What if those in Africa said hunting the cute and lovable whitetail dear was a terrible thing to do and demand that you stop? What if they started to interject their voice into our natural resource management business? Telling us how and what and what not to do? Do you live in Africa? If you care so much for those elephants, then move there. This is not our issue. It is theirs and theirs alone. Don't like the hunting of elephants? Then don't hunt elephants. It is none of your business what other people do in their own country, or the laws they create. Or maybe it's because you are still sucking your thumb while reading those stories of Babar the Elephant?

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Would you support someone cutting down a giant sequoia for firewood?

If it was grown for that purpose, why not? This elephant was grown specifically for this purpose, it's basically a farmed animal. They do the same thing all over the US with deer and sheep.

littlelady

God bless the USA
If it was grown for that purpose, why not? This elephant was grown specifically for this purpose, it's basically a farmed animal. They do the same thing all over the US with deer and sheep.

I have to say I don't know much about big game/safari hunting. I didn't realize that the animals such as elephants are raised to be hunted. But, I do know about killing elephants just for their tusks; which is disgusting. Was this a female elephant? Anyway, I think the reason that there are so many all over the place opinions on this thread is because...yes, humans kill animals for food or sport, but, at the same time, humans feel bad for animals that are killed. It is like a Catch 22; so to speak.

Last edited:

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I have to say I don't know much about big game/safari hunting. I didn't realize that the animals such as elephants are raised to be hunted. But, I do know about killing elephants just for their tusks; which is disgusting. Was this a female elephant? Anyway, I think the reason that there are so many all over the place opinions on this thread is because...yes, humans kill animals for food or sport, but, at the same time, humans feel bad for animals that are killed. It is like a Catch 22; so to speak.

Just like this

http://www.luxuryhunts.com/zimbabwe_elephant_hunt.html

notice this NON-EXPORTABLE, no ivory or head coming back just pictures. The meat goes to the locals, the ivory goes on a Bon fire and then is bulldozed to powder.

Or or in the US there's https://www.edenwoodranch.com where you can hunt trophy size white tail or elk. It has about the same attraction as hunting a cow, but some people like it. Personally I'd rather take younger does (yes Bambi's mother) because rutting bucks just taste crappy.

officeguy

I hunt deer in Maryland to help manage a species that requires management. There are too many here, they cause accidents they cause crop damage. An African or Asian elephant does none of these things and they do not require management.

You are uninformed and you draw your conclusions from that position.

black dog

Free America
Oh I am sure you are an expert...just like every one else with comments about big game management in Africa. Sure you are.

I worked in Central Africa for three years and I have always been a avid Sportsman, including my time spent overseas... And you?