Big game hunter dies after shot elephant falls and squishes him

Bonehead

Last edited:

black dog

Free America
It certainly sheds light on the subject, thanks for the post. I am sure the IPs get little of the benefit of the hunts, save the meat.

No Black Dog all my trips to Africa were to port cities in the Merchant Marines in the early 70s so no hunting.

I have been hunting stateside since I was 16, Florida, Georgia, New Mexico and Maryland.

Well, Thank you for your Service Sir. And my time was spent hunting, just different species.
I also was brought up to be a " Fair Chase Hunter " I just started alot earlier than you.
My son also was brought up to be a " Fair Chase Hunter " ... He was in the woods with me at 6 and harvested his first deer at 8. He's a avid compound bow hunter.

If it has to do with good Conservation​, it's a good thing..

PeoplesElbow

If it was grown for that purpose, why not? This elephant was grown specifically for this purpose, it's basically a farmed animal. They do the same thing all over the US with deer and sheep.

That elephant was not "raised" at all, it was put behind a wall and that was it.

When you raise cattle you feed them, you doctor them, in short it costs a lot of money for a single cow. Knowing how much it costs to raise a horse I can't even imagine how much it would cost to raise an elephant, most definitely more than the $100k or so that is paid to shoot one.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
That elephant was not "raised" at all, it was put behind a wall and that was it.

When you raise cattle you feed them, you doctor them, in short it costs a lot of money for a single cow. Knowing how much it costs to raise a horse I can't even imagine how much it would cost to raise an elephant, most definitely more than the $100k or so that is paid to shoot one.

In the first line you imply that they have no money invested in this, by the time you make it to the last line you have the price up to 100k+, which way are you trying to argue? My take on it, it costs millions of dollars to own the ranch, thousands more to fence it, more thousands to patrol for poachers, thousands more for the local governmental "licenses", all of this before the first shot is fired. So yes they have a lot of cash layer out in this venture.

PeoplesElbow

In the first line you imply that they have no money invested in this, by the time you make it to the last line you have the price up to 100k+, which way are you trying to argue? My take on it, it costs millions of dollars to own the ranch, thousands more to fence it, more thousands to patrol for poachers, thousands more for the local governmental "licenses", all of this before the first shot is fired. So yes they have a lot of cash layer out in this venture.

The $100k figure is a safe figure to estimate that the guy didn't pay more than $100k to hunt the elephant.

My point is that did not raise the elephant, they just built a fence around its habitat, that is hardly "raised for the purpose to hunt" as you put it.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
The $100k figure is a safe figure to estimate that the guy didn't pay more than $100k to hunt the elephant.

My point is that did not raise the elephant, they just built a fence around its habitat, that is hardly "raised for the purpose to hunt" as you put it.
Ok that's your complaint, you don't like the word raised? How about that was it purpose in life, to be shot for money and provide food for the natives?

officeguy

Oh I am sure you are an expert...just like every one else with comments about big game management in Africa. Sure you are.

I replied to your uninformed post, I even quoted the part where you are wrong.

Elephants cause crop damage. There are areas with elephant overpopulation and every year approx 100 farmers in africa get killed in human elephant encounters. So yes, they do require management, no different from deer.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Just like this

http://www.luxuryhunts.com/zimbabwe_elephant_hunt.html

notice this NON-EXPORTABLE, no ivory or head coming back just pictures. The meat goes to the locals, the ivory goes on a Bon fire and then is bulldozed to powder.

Or or in the US there's https://www.edenwoodranch.com where you can hunt trophy size white tail or elk. It has about the same attraction as hunting a cow, but some people like it. Personally I'd rather take younger does (yes Bambi's mother) because rutting bucks just taste crappy.

Thanks for the links. I think that we (humans) honor the elephant, and endangered species. Like I said in a previous post, I didn't know much, but have always read about poachers for the tusks; which seems such a waste. Why would the tusks be burned? That is what I don't get; yet again. Again, I am not that knowledgeable about this sort of biz, but it just seems a shame. In the future, humans may find that elephants are smarter than we are. They are known for their intelligence. Remember elephants never forget.

I am, probably, not the best person to reply to this thread because I have anxiety for days if I accidentally run over a critter in the road.

Last edited:

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Why would the tusks be burned?

Why are locks put on doors? To keep honest people honest. Same with burning the tusks. To ensure that no one profits from them. Because in the presence of temptation, without that lock, even the honest my falter.

Bonehead

Ivory carves well and machines well, just don't polish at high speed, stinks like burning hair. The ivory I worked with was the mammoth variety so legal.

PeoplesElbow

Ok that's your complaint, you don't like the word raised? How about that was it purpose in life, to be shot for money and provide food for the natives?

Oh please, the "providing food for the natives" just came from someone saying "how can we make something as asinine as this palpable to the world?, I know lets say its providing food for the natives"

The primary reason for this is someone wanted to shoot something big and that is it.

At 12 I wanted nothing more than to go deer hunting like some of my classmates, my dad finally relented and took me but told me that I had to do all the work associated with it. It was a complete pain in the ass and I never wanted to do it again.

My big problem with this and most hunters is that are not honest about why they do it. The reason most do it is that they want to shoot something. The "I've got to feed my family" is such horse ####. Most don't even realize how ####ing stupid it sounds that they need to feed their family, that $60k truck to haul the $10k worth of trailer and ATV would have went a long ass way toward "feeding their family".

black dog

Free America
Oh please, the "providing food for the natives" just came from someone saying "how can we make something as asinine as this palpable to the world?, I know lets say its providing food for the natives"

The primary reason for this is someone wanted to shoot something big and that is it.

At 12 I wanted nothing more than to go deer hunting like some of my classmates, my dad finally relented and took me but told me that I had to do all the work associated with it. It was a complete pain in the ass and I never wanted to do it again.

My big problem with this and most hunters is that are not honest about why they do it. The reason most do it is that they want to shoot something. The "I've got to feed my family" is such horse ####. Most don't even realize how ####ing stupid it sounds that they need to feed their family, that $60k truck to haul the $10k worth of trailer and ATV would have went a long ass way toward "feeding their family".

To all fair chase hunters in the world your​ post is nothing but hogwash.
My truck is worth about 8 grand on a good day, I bow hunt with a 325 dollar Bear " lights out compound bow, everything else is with a 1100 or a 700 Remington.
Sometimes I use my grandfather's vintage 760 Remington rifle in 300 savage, it helps me remember the awesome times that were spent hunting the east coast with him.
Not much fancy in my household for hunting.. oh and a couple of ten year old Polaris's.
Just because it's not your bag doesn't make it so for others that enjoy a day in the field or water. And every hunter kills just to the " fun " of it. I harvest dozens of deer of my place every year, what I don't use gets turned over to the local butcher shop and it gets ground up and given to the food banks in Indiana.
My son does the same in Maryland, he hunts farms in Mechanicsville, Golden Beach, Brandywine and Frederick Co and donates 20 to 50 deer a year to the food banks.

What you didn't get or understand or your father didn't get and teach you was,

A good day in the woods, field or waterway harvesting nothing is a awesome day just in it's self.

You don't get what some enjoy, no matter what someone tells you, you will never understand.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
If I may ...

Why are locks put on doors? To keep honest people honest. Same with burning the tusks. To ensure that no one profits from them. Because in the presence of temptation, without that lock, even the honest my falter.
If it is dead why not use everything available.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

A good day in the woods, field or waterway harvesting nothing is a awesome day just in it's self.

Exactly! There have been many, many times that I have just watched a deer, well within shooting range, sometimes within 15-20 feet, and just watched and marveled. So many days there have been I could have taken a deer, yet chose not to. (No it wasn't because I was waiting for that elusive buck.) It is not always about "getting one". Just being in the woods, quite, still, at times cold and chilly, wet and rainy. It's like going fishing and not catching anything. So what if you caught no fish, it was still a good day on the water, or on the pier, or on the beach.

And hunting can be tiring as well, just like fishing. Dressing a deer is far more involved than cleaning a days catch of fish.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

Ok I'll give you my reason for hunting and fishing, I like it. I've hunted since I was about 10 with my grandfather, dad, brother, brother in law, nephews, friends, there's probably more, but those are the ones I remember, it was one of the highlights of every fall. I like the taste of wild game better than beef probably because of the association with those fall hunts. Would I shoot an elephant given the chance, knowing that it was raised (protected) for this reason and that the meat was going to a good cause, maybe. But would I condemn someone else for doing it, never.
Why does the fact that it's big mean it's out of bounds? This animal has been protected for its entire life, the mortality rate for elephants in the wild is over 50% before they are three years old. The mortality rate for animals at a hunting preserve is better than 95% for a deer ranch, I expect it's similar for elephants. For a deer ranch a deer is picked from a catalog, this deer is moved to a smaller enclosure for the "hunter" to shoot, as I've said I expect that this is similar for elephants.
Just for the record, I don't have any issue with the Japanese hunting whales either.

PeoplesElbow

Ok I'll give you my reason for hunting and fishing, I like it. I've hunted since I was about 10 with my grandfather, dad, brother, brother in law, nephews, friends, there's probably more, but those are the ones I remember, it was one of the highlights of every fall. I like the taste of wild game better than beef probably because of the association with those fall hunts. Would I shoot an elephant given the chance, knowing that it was raised (protected) for this reason and that the meat was going to a good cause, maybe. But would I condemn someone else for doing it, never.
Why does the fact that it's big mean it's out of bounds? This animal has been protected for its entire life, the mortality rate for elephants in the wild is over 50% before they are three years old. The mortality rate for animals at a hunting preserve is better than 95% for a deer ranch, I expect it's similar for elephants. For a deer ranch a deer is picked from a catalog, this deer is moved to a smaller enclosure for the "hunter" to shoot, as I've said I expect that this is similar for elephants.
Just for the record, I don't have any issue with the Japanese hunting whales either.

You are honest in why you hunt, I appreciate that and have no problem with that. I knew tons of poor white trash that some how owned $60k trucks, $10k worth of trailer and ATV and then used the bull#### line "I gots to feed my family" all the while never having a job.

I do take issue with corralling animals to be "hunted" even if it is white tail deer.

I also take issue with animals whose species needs help to survive being hunted for sport. If this was some Zulu tribe hunting the elephant for sustenance I would have no problem with that.

I am undecided on the Japanese whale hunting as I don't really know much about why they do it.

PeoplesElbow

What you didn't get or understand or your father didn't get and teach you was,

You don't get what some enjoy, no matter what someone tells you, you will never understand.

I understood it just fine, dad didn't care for it because he had to do it growing up. Almost every meal he ate he had to kill the meat and pick the vegetables before they could eat, the pigs they raised were too valuable for them to eat, many of his meals consisted of doves, squirrels, rabbits etc and dandelion greens.