Boy Scouts ending ban on gay members, leaders

rmorse

oh Jesus would take them in, but he would certainly let them know they are on the wrong path, and he would show them the right path.
Their choice to follow him or not.

I agree. And he would do it with love. The opposite of that is doing it with hate, which is what this dude is doing.

bcp

In My Opinion
I agree. And he would do it with love. The opposite of that is doing it with hate, which is what this dude is doing.

I dont really see where hate is involved
If he actually hated them, he would let them go on living the life of sin just to make sure they ended up in Hell and not around him.
instead it looks like he is trying to convince them that the path they are on is leading the wrong way, by doing so, he is offering them the choice of salvation.
seems pretty caring to me.

But in the end, if they failed to follow Jesus and his rules, they would not be welcomed into Heaven, so basically, Jesus would do exactly what IS is doing, show them the right way, if the choose not to take it then they end up in Hell.
Loving, or liking does not mean you have to accept everything they do and just let them do it without trying to help.

rmorse

I dont really see where hate is involved
If he actually hated them, he would let them go on living the life of sin just to make sure they ended up in Hell and not around him.
instead it looks like he is trying to convince them that the path they are on is leading the wrong way, by doing so, he is offering them the choice of salvation.
seems pretty caring to me.

But in the end, if they failed to follow Jesus and his rules, they would not be welcomed into Heaven, so basically, Jesus would do exactly what IS is doing, show them the right way, if the choose not to take it then they end up in Hell.
Loving, or liking does not mean you have to accept everything they do and just let them do it without trying to help.

I understand what you're saying, but I'm going to have to disagree on the "lack of hate" part.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
All nasty holier-than-thou you'll-be-burning-in-hell-so-have-fun-with-that judgments aside (apparently someone thinks it's their job instead of God's), I think the real point is being missed here.

The BSA are being forced to admit members who are not only outside their group values, but in direct opposition to them. That means there is no longer any such thing as a private club with specific membership requirements. No club can deny anyone membership now because the precedent has been set.

That is the real tragedy, in my opinion.

bcp

In My Opinion
I understand what you're saying, but I'm going to have to disagree on the "lack of hate" part.

I know IS personally, and I can tell you that I honestly dont think he hates, but maybe he is frustrated that he cant get it through some peoples heads, and I think that frustration is mistaken for hate at times.

just my opinion

bcp

In My Opinion
All nasty holier-than-thou you'll-be-burning-in-hell-so-have-fun-with-that judgments aside (apparently someone thinks it's their job instead of God's), I think the real point is being missed here.

The BSA are being forced to admit members who are not only outside their group values, but in direct opposition to them. That means there is no longer any such thing as a private club with specific membership requirements. No club can deny anyone membership now because the precedent has been set.

Ive done all I can do.
I have refused to donate through the United Way.
if they cut the BSA's funding, then we need to stand up and cut the donations through them.

rmorse

Agreed. I was actually just talking to my girlfriend about this, saying as a decent human being, I'm glad that gays are now allowed in BSA. However, as an American, it pisses me off that a club is forced to change their view/morals. They should be allowed to not allow gays, just like I should be allowed to protest that by opening my own club.

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
Of course you would. (Now I'll say what you'd say about me): It's your way or no way. (I love this game)...
I know IS personally, and I can tell you that I honestly dont think he hates, but maybe he is frustrated that he cant get it through some peoples heads, and I think that frustration is mistaken for hate at times. just my opinion
Exactly right. Sometimes I wonder why I even try but we know I must. If I hated them I'd be bashing them mercilessly here.
I see hypocrite bull#### name-calling and holier than thou pontificating.
Then you've missed my point also. The BSA has been forced to go against their long held beliefs because of people who hate them. At least Chic Fil A didn't.

You've known me long enough to know that I cannot factor God out of anything.

bcp

In My Opinion
I see hypocrite bull#### name-calling and holier than thou pontificating.

If you are referring to the comment that someone that lets their kid run off for a week in the woods with a gay guy is a bad parent,
I tend to agree.
I wouldnt let my kid run off for a week in the woods under the supervision of a gay, but I also would not let them go off with a priest,, tends to be a bit of a problem with them too.

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
If you are referring to the comment that someone that lets their kid run off for a week in the woods with a gay guy is a bad parent,
I tend to agree.
I wouldnt let my kid run off for a week in the woods under the supervision of a gay, but I also would not let them go off with a priest,, tends to be a bit of a problem with them too.
I called a few people on here: ignorant, stupid or idiots AFTER they called/accused me worse, but I'm the one chastened for it? They can express their opinions but I can't?

MMM_donuts

I disagree with you only because I don't think they're necessarily being forced to so anything. Many of their own members want this change and they are losing support due to their policy but if they are willing to give that up then they can continue with things as they are.

Society as a whole is changing and they'll have to keep up or risk being shunned by the community. I think it's a great example of how a business, through no government intervention, must adapt to meet the demand of its consumers or risk failure.