Correct way to use a Median...

puggymom

This is my #2 pet-driving-peeve! #1 of course is left lane hogs.
Left lane hogs annoy me but what worse is them putting around in the left lane blocking the flow of traffic then cutting over at the last minute to make a right hand turn.

SG_Player1974

Just because some website says it's so doesn't mean it's correct or even legal, even though it makes sense doesn't mean it's legal.

Your POINT is correct! But... if only comon sense was plenty we would not have to discuss this.

I have always maintained that ALL medians like these should have a double yellow line painted right down the middle. Then... common sense would not be needed as it would seperate the "lanes" in the median.

On another note... it appears that the only people who use the medians correctly are posting in this thread! There isn't a day that goes by that I don't see people flipping a U and doing it wrong. There have been 4 fatalities in a median like this near my home and 3 of them have been contributed to having the driver's view blocked like this.

Just waiting for the signal light to be installed. (on second thought... I dont think any county commissioners live near me :sarcasm:)

PeoplesElbow

I believe that I have seen medians marked the incorrect way.

I hate the intersection of Great Mills Road and Shangri La drive, since they put the bricks in the road the two opposing turn lane block each others views of oncoming traffic.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Would you rather be crossing paths with people going a few MPH or pulling out into 50 mph traffic and praying? I'm not trying to turn this into a religion thing but, you see my point, you pagan scum? :lol:
Did you just PS me? :jet:

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
THANK YOU! This annoys me to no end, when some durhard pulls up and blocks my view of oncoming traffic. :burning:lol
Exactly why I miss driving my big azz Expedition. When the idiot uses it wrong, I sit there and completely block his view until I can pull out. Yeah, I'm a b***h, but they should learn to use it correctly and there would be no problem.

glhs837

Power with Control
At the risk of getting flamed;

Please show me where that rule is stated in the Maryland Drivers Handbook.

Just because some website says it's so doesn't mean it's correct or even legal, even though it makes sense doesn't mean it's legal.

So, where is this prohibited? I cant seem to find anywhere in MD law or driver training where this is covered. Given that lack, the most logical way should be the right one.

GW8345

Not White House Approved
So, where is this prohibited? I cant seem to find anywhere in MD law or driver training where this is covered. Given that lack, the most logical way should be the right one.

What happens if there are connecting streets that use that median as a cross over, are drivers suppose to veer into the oncoming lane when they cross the median and then veer back?

Think of that median crossing as a street, just connecting two other roads, if you can't wait to see then wait. It's not the way people are using medians that is causing accidents, it's driver error by not waiting to ensure they can safely entire the road.

If this is not addressed in the Maryland State Highway Administration rule book then who is to say this is the right/wrong way to use a median? Is there any stated that directs it's drivers to use a median this way?

GW8345

Not White House Approved
Exactly why I miss driving my big azz Expedition. When the idiot uses it wrong, I sit there and completely block his view until I can pull out. Yeah, I'm a b***h, but they should learn to use it correctly and there would be no problem.

So me in what drivers education book does it state that a median is suppose to be used that way.

Guess you just like being a bitch because you think you are in the right, even though there is nothing in writing stating you are, glad you are able to make up your own rules of the road and penalize others for not knowing how YOU think they should drive.

SG_Player1974

It's not the way people are using medians that is causing accidents, it's driver error by not waiting to ensure they can safely entire the road.

WRONG!

It is the way people are using it and it is EXACTLY pointed out in the link in the OP. People are making U-turns and NOT going to the outside lane in the median. Also, when there are crossing streets, people do not want to wait their turn and they stack up sometimes 3 at a time and it inhibits the view of the other cars in the median.

Much in the same way that people use the turn off/merge lanes on the roads in order to get ahead of bumper to bumper traffic. Race up the lane and cut in at the last minute. People use these areas this way because they simply do not want to wait and are more important than everyone else! PERIOD!

Last edited:

GW8345

Not White House Approved
WRONG!

It is the way people are using it and it is EXACTLY pointed out in the link in the OP. People are making U-turns and NOT going to the outside lane in the median. Also, when there are crossing streets, people do not want to wait their turn and they stack up sometimes 3 at a time and it inhibits the view of the other cars in the median.

Much in the same way that people use the turn off/merge lanes on the roads in order to get ahead of bumper to bumper traffic. Race up the lane and cut in at the last minute. People use these areas this way because they simply do not want to wait and are more important than everyone else! PERIOD!
How can it be wrong when they are using it the legal way?

Also, is that link addressing local use of medians or is it just a generic rule that is suppose to apply country wide, kind of a one size fit all?

Guess you think that since there is no defined rule on using them you can just make up your own and expect everyone to follow it since you think it's the right way.

SG_Player1974

Guess you think that since there is no defined rule on using them you can just make up your own and expect everyone to follow it since you think it's the right way.

And I guess you think that, since there is nothing chiseled in stone, that it is the wild west out there and you can do whatever the hell you want as long as YOU get your way huh?

Its called comon sense and driver's courtesy. When you are in the ER because someone t-boned you while trying to negotiate a median, you can think on it. :whistle:

GW8345

Not White House Approved
And I guess you think that, since there is nothing chiseled in stone, that it is the wild west out there and you can do whatever the hell you want as long as YOU get your way huh?

Its called comon sense and driver's courtesy. When you are in the ER because someone t-boned you while trying to negotiate a median, you can think on it. :whistle:

Is the median crossing considered a street and are there not rules concerning what side of the street you drive on?

glhs837

Power with Control
How can it be wrong when they are using it the legal way?

Also, is that link addressing local use of medians or is it just a generic rule that is suppose to apply country wide, kind of a one size fit all?

The "legal way"? If you can't find anything backing your method, what makes it the legal way? Sadly, Md has nothing like TX, which has this...

http://onlinemanuals.txdot.gov/txdotmanuals/sfb/images/7-10_Wide_Crossover_Left_Turn_Bay.JPG

SG_Player1974

So all medians have those "pesky" double yellow lines here in Maryland, who knew!

At least TRY to keep up with the rest of the class......

No student left behind poster child huh?

I believe the last question posted was to you GW. What exactly is your "legal way" that you spoke of?

PeoplesElbow

Is the median crossing considered a street and are there not rules concerning what side of the street you drive on?

What about cross streets that have opposing left turn lanes that both get the arrow at the same time, in this case you are directed to drive on the wrong side of the street because opposing traffic is on your right side.

There are also the concrete barrier median crossovers like the one that almost gets you to the Navy Federal Credit Union where you are forced to be on the right hand side of the opposing traffic turning also.

I think the lack of consistency in road design throws some people off.