Correct way to use a Median...

Tech

If the way to cross a median is the way shown in the OP, why does the state have you pass on the left at controlled crossings when the opposing left lanes have the green arrow?

SG_Player1974

Very true, but SG doesn't want to understand that.

I think you forgot that it was ME that was advocating using the lane properly (which would concur with MR's link)

It is YOU that was debating and asking for legal references and pouting that there is no legal basis.

I understood it all along.... it was YOU that wanted to dispute the ideas.

Midnightrider

If the way to cross a median is the way shown in the OP, why does the state have you pass on the left at controlled crossings when the opposing left lanes have the green arrow?
Efficiency. Plus the light and other traffic controls make it safe to do. When there isn't a light you need to be able to see oncoming traffic.

SD1492

See part "(C) "make the left turn so as to leave the intersection in a lane lawfully available to traffic moving in the same direction on the roadway being entered."

That pretty much sums in up. If you are going to make a left then you should be in a position IN the intersection so when you go you are in the correct lane you are traveling. In other words, the RIGHT hand side.

I can not agree that this makes since, but on the same token, if you do this and you have traffic coming for the oppesing direction you may get caught with vehicales not waiting their turn. But this is the LAW, not a commen sense thing.

Now can we talk about the people (police included) that use the LEFT turn lane on Great Mills Road as a merge lane?...... IT'S NOT A FEAKING MERGE LANE!!!!!! It's a TURN LEFT lane. Sorry, this just pisses me off :)

§ 21-601. Required position and method of turning at intersections or crossovers

(a) Right turns. -- If the driver of a vehicle intends to turn right at any intersection, he shall approach the intersection and make the right turn as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway.

(b) Left turns -- In general. -- If the driver of a vehicle intends to turn left at any intersection or crossover, he shall approach the intersection or crossover in the extreme left-hand lane lawfully available to traffic moving in the same direction.

(c) Left turns -- Leaving intersection. -- If the driver of a vehicle intends to turn left at any intersection or crossover, the driver shall, after entering the intersection or crossover, make the left turn so as to leave the intersection in a lane lawfully available to traffic moving in the same direction on the roadway being entered.

stgislander

PREMO Member
I received the following from a friend that owns/operates a driving school in MD.

"While there is no law on the books that says you must stay to the right in crossovers there is one that says you must avoid collisions. The web site you referenced is correct. It will provide you Max visibility for oncoming traffic. Of course where they are getting confused is that Maryland teaches that you need to stay on the side of the lane that you are turning to. In other words turning to the left stay on the left side of the lane you are in.

The way I phrase it that crossovers are just an extension of the road you are on. So until you get to the North bound (South) side stay center then angle your car a little; not take up the entire lane going in the opposing direction."

You think cross-overs in MD are bad... I feel like I'm putting my life in someone else's hand each time I use a cross-over in Mississippi.

GW8345

Not White House Approved
Now you got it! :yahoo:

Not only common sense but, driver courtesy which seems to be the more pertinent aspect in your example above.

You keep bringing up this "lawsuit" that you will be charged with in your mythical accident. Let me ask you this.... if, by your very own admission and acknowledgement in THIS thread, there are NO laws, references, or legal sightings regarding the proper use of median breaks in the state of Maryland then...... Why exactly are you in court and being sued? What "legal" basis are they suing you for THAT PERTAINS TO THE ARGUMENT/DISCUSSION IN THIS THREAD?
Again, driver courtesy is not a legal defense. As for the "mythical" accident, if I'm in a crossover like you want and an on coming car hits me head on while crossing the road opposite of me, who is at fault? Given the statutes stated, I am because I am not in the proper lane for traffic flow.

If you follow that statute you would be dong it like it is shown in the OP. :shrug

That is not what the statutes state that have been provide in this thread, so far the only justification for doing it the way the OP and SG wants is some internet blog, now there's a real legal standing.

Midnightrider

It is pretty damn simple, per Md. TRANSPORTATION Code Ann. § 21-302 - "Drivers of vehicles that are going in opposite directions shall pass each other to the right." That would include while in a crossover, would it not?

Again, driver courtesy is not a legal defense. As for the "mythical" accident, if I'm in a crossover like you want and an on coming car hits me head on while crossing the road opposite of me, who is at fault? Given the statutes stated, I am because I am not in the proper lane for traffic flow.

That is not what the statutes state that have been provide in this thread, so far the only justification for doing it the way the OP and SG wants is some internet blog, now there's a real legal standing.
That's exactly what it says. If you pass each other to the right you would be doing what is shown in the graphic in the op.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member

In these instances the travel, as you have noted, is "controlled" by traffic control devices (turn arrows). I am pretty sure the topic of the thread is for "uncontrolled" crossovers.

bilbur

I was always told to use a median the way the OP's site describes. The reason I was told was visibility which makes sense to me. There is also the whole we travel on the right so it makes sense to pull to the right side of the median. I don't remember if it was in the drivers handbook but I will continue to do things the way I feel is the safest way to use a median.

On a side note, I also get frustrated with people who camp in the left lane and do at or below the speed limit. I was always taught that was a passing lane and if someone is not doing over the speed limit than there is a good chance they are not passing anyone. I know there is no law against this but the legal system should not be there to teach people common courtesy.

PsyOps

Pixelated
On a side note, I also get frustrated with people who camp in the left lane and do at or below the speed limit. I was always taught that was a passing lane and if someone is not doing over the speed limit than there is a good chance they are not passing anyone. I know there is no law against this but the legal system should not be there to teach people common courtesy.

Here we go :popcorn:

SG_Player1974

I am having a hard time picturing your explanation. Lets use a known example here. We will use the median at the junction of 235 and St. John's road.

According to how I read your post, if I was camped out in the southern-most portion of that median (like I came from St. John's church and want to go NB 235) and someone is coming from the opposite direction (St. John's pharmacy) and wants to go SB on 235. IS that about right?

The answer is that they should enter the median exactly like the OP's link states thus giving BOTH drivers the best possible view of oncoming traffic. It should ONLY be those 2 cars in the median and other vehicles have to wait their turn to enter.

Now, if the car coming from the pharmacy HITS the car that is in there then two things have taken place. They are very ignorant. AND..... the failed to avoid a collision which IS PUNISHABLE.

bilbur

Here we go :popcorn:

Well while I am causing controversy they have added a Yield sign a while ago for the people entering 235 south from Rt. 4 and I see close calls every day with people trying to get into Wawa and having to slam on their breaks to avoid the people that shoot around that turn lane without even stopping or slowing down. If I remember correctly there was a discussion about this a while back and the argument from the ones that didn't stop was there was not a yield sign so they are not obligated to stop. The only reason I bring this up is because I had someone beep their horn at me because I was waiting on people with their turn signals on, I just continued to wait then entered 235 south when they passed. Maybe I am wrong and that lane does have the right of way but if that is the case what is the yield sign there for and what else was I supposed to yield to?

Hank

my war
Has anybody ever motioned with your hands/fingers to the offending driver on how to use the median? I look like a damn orchestra conductor, when I do.

bilbur

I am having a hard time picturing your explanation. Lets use a known example here. We will use the median at the junction of 235 and St. John's road.

According to how I read your post, if I was camped out in the southern-most portion of that median (like I came from St. John's church and want to go NB 235) and someone is coming from the opposite direction (St. John's pharmacy) and wants to go SB on 235. IS that about right?

The answer is that they should enter the median exactly like the OP's link states thus giving BOTH drivers the best possible view of oncoming traffic. It should ONLY be those 2 cars in the median and other vehicles have to wait their turn to enter.

Now, if the car coming from the pharmacy HITS the car that is in there then two things have taken place. They are very ignorant. AND..... the failed to avoid a collision which IS PUNISHABLE.

This is the way I see it, if they were traveling through that intersection going straight through would GW go on the left side of the turn lane then back to the right to get in his lane. Why would he think it is any different to make a turn. Law dictates that a person always stays on the right side of the road when traffic is going in opposite directions and I wouldn't think a turn land would be any different.

Oy vey.

This really is, as Ken King suggests, quite simple.

In Maryland law, the general rule is that vehicles are to be driven on the right half of every roadway that is wide enough for them to do so. It also defines the crossover which connects the separate roadways of a divided highway as a roadway itself. So, when driving on that roadway - the crossover - you are supposed to drive on the right hand side.

The "correct way" identified in the piece linked to in the OP is indeed the correct way according to Maryland law. If someone believes otherwise, perhaps they could identify which of the exceptions to the general rule they base that belief on.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Well while I am causing controversy they have added a Yield sign a while ago for the people entering 235 south from Rt. 4 and I see close calls every day with people trying to get into Wawa and having to slam on their breaks to avoid the people that shoot around that turn lane without even stopping or slowing down. If I remember correctly there was a discussion about this a while back and the argument from the ones that didn't stop was there was not a yield sign so they are not obligated to stop. The only reason I bring this up is because I had someone beep their horn at me because I was waiting on people with their turn signals on, I just continued to wait then entered 235 south when they passed. Maybe I am wrong and that lane does have the right of way but if that is the case what is the yield sign there for and what else was I supposed to yield to?

It seems you haven’t learned that traffic laws are only suggestions. :sarcasm:

In your instance, you don’t have to stop unless you can absolutely determine someone wants to get into that lane to turn right in WaWa or anywhere else along there. Here’s the problem I see, having driven there often (and other like situations)… I have a yield sign, there is a right lane for me to enter into. People coming from my left don’t have their turn signal on indicating they want to turn into that lane… I’m pulling out. Yield means yield to people that exercise the stinking courtesy to let me know where they want to go; otherwise I’m going. You don’t have to yield/stop to people you are GUESSING what they want to do.

I was always told to use a median the way the OP's site describes. The reason I was told was visibility which makes sense to me. There is also the whole we travel on the right so it makes sense to pull to the right side of the median. I don't remember if it was in the drivers handbook but I will continue to do things the way I feel is the safest way to use a median.

There actually is a law requiring them to drive in the right lane, but only if they are doing 10 mph or more below the speed limit (or below the safe speed if it's lower for some reason). But, yes, a desire for improved traffic flow in general - not to mention common courtesy - would have people drive in the right lane when they aren't passing others and aren't getting ready to make a left turn.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
It is pretty damn simple, per Md. TRANSPORTATION Code Ann. § 21-302 - "Drivers of vehicles that are going in opposite directions shall pass each other to the right." That would include while in a crossover, would it not?

:yeahthat: