Correct way to use a Median...

glhs837

Power with Control
Ok, that is how Texas defines a median, what about Maryland, after all, my drivers licenses is from Maryland and we are talking about Maryland.

My point was that MD has no such definition. So it's up to drivers to uses the most safe method possible. Which is the one the OP put forth. You want to debate how it's less safe? Lets go, but you will lose. Less legal, bring it, show me the MD code defining such.

GW8345

Not White House Approved
At least TRY to keep up with the rest of the class......

No student left behind poster child huh?

I believe the last question posted was to you GW. What exactly is your "legal way" that you spoke of?

Um, try to keep up will you, if you had bothered to read post 34 I think you could have figured out what I consider the legal way.

GW8345

Not White House Approved
My point was that MD has no such definition. So it's up to drivers to uses the most safe method possible. Which is the one the OP put forth. You want to debate how it's less safe? Lets go, but you will lose. Less legal, bring it, show me the MD code defining such.

Are those medians considered a road way?

If so when is it legal to drive on the wrong side of the road when not passing, let alone stopping?

Oh, I know, we found something on the internet we like and therefore it's got to be legal and everyone should be doing it, after all, they can't put anything on the internet that ain't true.

SG_Player1974

Is the median crossing considered a street and are there not rules concerning what side of the street you drive on?

Um, try to keep up will you, if you had bothered to read post 34 I think you could have figured out what I consider the legal way.

So you "consider" that the breaks in the medians are STREETS?

Can you back this up? You have been criticizing others on here about their hypothesis and thoughts. Least you could do is back up your own!

Bottom line is that the reason the medians around here are the cause of so many problems is that they are not properly marked AND the people who use them (incorrectly) are just not using good judgment.

glhs837

Power with Control

Can you back this up? You have been criticizing others on here about their hypothesis and thoughts. Least you could do is back up your own!

Bottom line is that the reason the medians around here are the cause of so many problems is that they are not properly marked AND the people who use them (incorrectly) are just not using good judgment.

Well, technically, damnit, he's right, it's a part of the roadway, and barring specific direction otherwise, standard rule should apply including which side of the roadway you use. If I get some free time this week, I'm going to try and engage a few driving school bubbas, see what they can tell me. Seems a pretty odd hole in the states driving book, that it never addresses it.

SG_Player1974

Well, technically, damnit, he's right, it's a part of the roadway.

Well...... Stop signs are part of the roadway! Curbs are part of the roadway.

The point GW made was that these breaks in the medians are considered STREETS or extensions of streets.

Common sense tells us that standard rules should apply and which side should be used. I just want GW to provide a link to the info saying that median openings are considered streets or extensions of a street. He may be right however, I don't think it is likely.

GW8345

Not White House Approved
Are they not road ways? I always thought that streets are road ways and not all road ways need to be parked, guess your street is marked to show lane separation and each intersection has proper markings. In my opinion, a median crossover is a road way and therefore has the same rules as any other road way, you drive on the right side of the road and oncoming traffic in on your left. Now, if drivers would be more patient and operate their vehicles in a safe manner there wouldn't be an issue, I guess drivers aren't using the TJ bridge properly since there seems to be so many accidents on it giving your logic.

My back up that the state of Maryland does not provide any information to support the OP's assertion that everyone is suppose to use medians as depicted in the link he provided. Also, please show me what governing document from the Md. State Highway Administration that supports your assertion that all medians are suppose to be marked and their proper markings.

I am not criticizing others on here about their hypothesis and thoughts, I'm stating an opinion that is differing there's and asking for legal documentation from them that shows I am required to use a median as they insist. If expressing a differing opinion is criticizing someone then I guess we all are guilty of criticizing others. So far no one has backed up their opinion that drivers should be required to use medians as show in the link with any legal documentation so why should I adhere to it when it is not legally binding and in case of an accident I may be at fault for improper driving. Which one of you are going to pay me legal bills if I get in an accident when using a median as you describe and the other party tries to sue me, or I get issued a ticket, for improper driving so I can fight this in court and get it put in the books?

glhs837

Power with Control
Well...... Stop signs are part of the roadway! Curbs are part of the roadway.

The point GW made was that these breaks in the medians are considered STREETS or extensions of streets.

Common sense tells us that standard rules should apply and which side should be used. I just want GW to provide a link to the info saying that median openings are considered streets or extensions of a street. He may be right however, I don't think it is likely.

And we are expected to obey stop signs, right? And stay off of curbs? Right? Even if they are placed in such a way that it doesn't make sense. If it connects two roadways, and its a place you are legally allowed to drive, why wouldn't the standard rules apply? Don't mistake me, I wont use those any other way, and have trained my kids the same way. Think the boy even got taught that way in his Drivers Ed class last spring.

SG_Player1974

Common sense.... common sense.... common sense tells us that the way median breaks "should" be used is the same way that was illustrated in the OP. The fact that they are not clearly marked is a problem with MD State, the county, whomever is responsible.

The fact that there is no clear and defining guidance regarding these median breaks is a shame HOWEVER, that does not excuse the use of common sense when driving in them.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
The "legal way"? If you can't find anything backing your method, what makes it the legal way? Sadly, Md has nothing like TX, which has this...

http://onlinemanuals.txdot.gov/txdotmanuals/sfb/images/7-10_Wide_Crossover_Left_Turn_Bay.JPG

^^that makes so much sense. When I first moved here, I did NOT know there was a proper way to use the median turn lanes. Did it wrong a couple times, then had a friend point it out to me...used it the right way ever since. Median turn lanes like the ones here are definitely not everywhere else in the country. I have enough common sense to realize that and correct it. Unfortunately, a lot of newcomers here do not, and will continue. Then there's just the people who don't give a chit. I'm sure that's exactly why we're getting a light at St. Johns and 235 :rolleyes:

GW8345

Not White House Approved
Common sense.... common sense.... common sense tells us that the way median breaks "should" be used is the same way that was illustrated in the OP. The fact that they are not clearly marked is a problem with MD State, the county, whomever is responsible.

The fact that there is no clear and defining guidance regarding these median breaks is a shame HOWEVER, that does not excuse the use of common sense when driving in them.

Common sense is not a legal defense.

Why don't you work on getting it defined legally instead of just advocating on a local gossip website, then you will get your wish that everyone use them the way you want them to.

PsyOps

Pixelated
I can't tell you how many times I've tried to do it the "right way" only to be blocked by pinheads turning left from the other direction. I go to my proper position to make my left. The opposing car does the same. I can't go yet because opposing straight traffic is coming. So the other opposing left turn people pull in front of me and block me from completing my turn when it's clear. AND... the whole purpose is to give you a clear view of opposing traffic. Well, if you have a line of traffic wanting to turn left from the opposing direction and there are trucks..........you can't see ####.

Bottom line... there is no right or wrong. It ends up being what it is; a cluster.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
It is pretty damn simple, per Md. TRANSPORTATION Code Ann. § 21-302 - "Drivers of vehicles that are going in opposite directions shall pass each other to the right." That would include while in a crossover, would it not?

SG_Player1974

Why don't you work on getting it defined legally instead of just advocating on a local gossip website, then you will get your wish that everyone use them the way you want them to.

Ahhh yes. The great "Do something about it instead of talking about it" reply.

The sad part is, and I know that you know this too, that NOTHING will get done unless enough fatalities pile up to force the people with the checkbook to do something about it! This has been proven time and time again. The ONLY way to circumvent this is to be a county commissioner and demand that something be done about it (a-la the signal light between 235 and the TJ bridge on RT4)

No one is going to do anything about it simply because it costs MONEY to fix it! Sad... but true.

GW8345

Not White House Approved
Ahhh yes. The great "Do something about it instead of talking about it" reply.

The sad part is, and I know that you know this too, that NOTHING will get done unless enough fatalities pile up to force the people with the checkbook to do something about it! This has been proven time and time again. The ONLY way to circumvent this is to be a county commissioner and demand that something be done about it (a-la the signal light between 235 and the TJ bridge on RT4)

No one is going to do anything about it simply because it costs MONEY to fix it! Sad... but true.
But the ting that will get done is a light will be erected and your way of using a median crossing won't be implemented.

Right now you don't have a legal leg to stand on to back up your argument and as I've asked, are you going to pay my legal bills if I get in an accident and get sued for doing it "your" way?

Here's another bit if research you should do, how many states instruct their drivers to use median crossings like Texas does? Is Maryland the only state that doesn't cover median crossing, if so that is some pretty good ammunition to have when you address it to your local politician. You can say that Maryland is the only state in the union that doesn't do it this way and it's causing a lot of accidents/deaths, bet some politician would jump at the chance of getting a law passed so they could use it as a re-election slogan.

Now, if Texas is the only one, they why hasn't any other state adopted it?

Midnightrider

It is pretty damn simple, per Md. TRANSPORTATION Code Ann. § 21-302 - "Drivers of vehicles that are going in opposite directions shall pass each other to the right." That would include while in a crossover, would it not?

But the ting that will get done is a light will be erected and your way of using a median crossing won't be implemented.

Right now you don't have a legal leg to stand on to back up your argument and as I've asked, are you going to pay my legal bills if I get in an accident and get sued for doing it "your" way?

Here's another bit if research you should do, how many states instruct their drivers to use median crossings like Texas does? Is Maryland the only state that doesn't cover median crossing, if so that is some pretty good ammunition to have when you address it to your local politician. You can say that Maryland is the only state in the union that doesn't do it this way and it's causing a lot of accidents/deaths, bet some politician would jump at the chance of getting a law passed so they could use it as a re-election slogan.

Now, if Texas is the only one, they why hasn't any other state adopted it?
Because it is covered in the statute above.

GW8345

Not White House Approved

Also, it's common sense that slower traffic in a left hand lane move to the right for faster traffic coming up from behind but it's not a legal requirement here in Maryland and many members have stated that they won't move over for faster traffic, guess they aren't using common sense using your logic.

SG_Player1974

Also, it's common sense that slower traffic in a left hand lane move to the right for faster traffic coming up from behind but it's not a legal requirement here in Maryland and many members have stated that they won't move over for faster traffic, guess they aren't using common sense using your logic.

Now you got it! :yahoo:

Not only common sense but, driver courtesy which seems to be the more pertinent aspect in your example above.

You keep bringing up this "lawsuit" that you will be charged with in your mythical accident. Let me ask you this.... if, by your very own admission and acknowledgement in THIS thread, there are NO laws, references, or legal sightings regarding the proper use of median breaks in the state of Maryland then...... Why exactly are you in court and being sued? What "legal" basis are they suing you for THAT PERTAINS TO THE ARGUMENT/DISCUSSION IN THIS THREAD?