FL School Shooting

ginwoman

When I was a kid we all had guns in the home and nobody ever shot up their school. Guys at my high school would have a rifle right in their truck, and yet never went and got it to settle an altercation.

Clearly access to guns isn't the problem.

YES, a gun rack in the back window of a pick up truck was normal at that time. GEEZE people have lost it. Too many people are packed into to many housing developments, apartments...they aren't taught to respect much of anything but themselves. I was raised by a WWII veteran and parents of the depression and was taught to respect everyone and not be an @$$hole.

PsyOps

Pixelated
YES, a gun rack in the back window of a pick up truck was normal at that time. GEEZE people have lost it.

Sap and Trans would certainly lose it if they drove in the mountains of West Virginia. Almost every pickup truck has a rifle racked in the back window. And almost every vehicle is a pickup truck. :lol:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Sap and Trans would certainly lose it if they drove in the mountains of West Virginia. Almost every pickup truck has a rifle racked in the back window. And almost every vehicle is a pickup truck. :lol:

Or in the three-quarters of Virginia that is not near DC. The number of people routinely carrying a concealed weapon is also quite high.

Makes for a polite society. ;-)

This_person

Oye...those are really stupid and tired comments...

It's no wonder we as a nation can't come to any agreements on this issue when so people like you equate auto accidents to intentional shootings...and who see any attempts to limit the potential for future mass shootings as a means to take all your guns.
So, without infringing upon law abiding citizens’ rights to keep and bear arms, what do you suggest?

By the way, mass shootings account for something like 0.018% of gun fatalities. I wonder what percentage of automobile fatalities are intentional

SamSpade

BTW - do we know ANYTHING more about the Vegas shooter? SO much of that story didn't make any damned sense.
STILL think he financed his expensive life by --- selling arms.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
BTW - do we know ANYTHING more about the Vegas shooter? SO much of that story didn't make any damned sense.

I don't think so. I think something is being covered up, though.

seven

More news came out. The guy who sold the tracer ammunition to him was charged and there still may be charges against the girlfriend due to her strange actions before the shooter was identified. You know they don't release every single thing to the public. Don't be breast fed by the media.

:yay:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
And already Dems are clamoring for more gun control, AR-15 ban, etc. They sure don't waste any time.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
And already Dems are clamoring for more gun control, AR-15 ban, etc. They sure don't waste any time.

Never Do .....

So, What The Hell Do We Do Now?

So, where does all of this leave us?

Here’s what we know. The shooter used an AR-15, the most common rifle in the United States. The shooter was on the radar of school authorities, and he was reportedly in frequent contact with the police; he was reported to the FBI as well, but follow-up was apparently insufficient. People warned authorities about him, and they didn’t do anything or couldn’t do anything. That’s probably the best place to start looking for answers.

The shooter's gun was obtained legally. He had never been arrested; it’s difficult to think of a way to prevent the sale of a gun to a person with a clean record without a mass gun ban or confiscation. He also had a gas mask and grenades — and it’s unclear where he obtained the grenades. We could look at stronger prosecution of straw buyers, as Jim Geraghty of National Review suggests, but that wouldn't have helped in this case.

So, where do we go from here? Obviously, I think that we ought to consider security in schools as a first step — I went to a Jewish high school in Los Angeles that received bomb threats at least twice a year; the building next door was scoped out by mass shooter Buford Furrow, but he left thanks to security there. It’s not too much to ask that we place armed security at our schools, as Israel does.