Help for a stray

L

luckystar

Wait a minute, this cat is declawed? Has he or she been scanned?

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Wait a minute, this cat is declawed? Has he or she been scanned?

I'm getting the impression that no one has done anything yet. The problem is, it needs to go to a home with no cats, in case it has something contagious. Otherwise, I'd grab it up.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Really? Is it fair that they find homes for feral cats that will never make good pets by falsely advertising them as something they're not?

I cannot comment on what the rescue does that you got your cat from, but the rescues I'm associated with are VERY upfront about each and every animal we have available. We don't want our animals to fail in their new home so it is not advantageous to "lie" about our animals.

Cats can be strange animals..you aren't always sure how they will react to other cats or situations in a new environment.

Like I've always said, don't knock a rescue until you've tried it.

luvscats

Can we at least get this cat a visit to the vet to make sure that he or she has a chance? A couple tests and a good check-up is affordable. There's always the possibility the cat's not sick at all. I did this once with a cat I found in Westbury. She has a wonderful home now with RR. So what was the location? I can hit up some friends on Facebook, see if a pet-free home can foster her before we can get her in for a checkup, and a little while after. It would be easier to get the rescue groups involved at that point.

I know the kitty is in Lusby. If we could find someone to foster him/her that would be wonderful. What vet would y'all prefer to use?

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I cannot comment on what the rescue does that you got your cat from, but the rescues I'm associated with are VERY upfront about each and every animal we have available. We don't want our animals to fail in their new home so it is not advantageous to "lie" about our animals.

Cats can be strange animals..you aren't always sure how they will react to other cats or situations in a new environment.

Like I've always said, don't knock a rescue until you've tried it.

Okay.

L

luckystar

I know the kitty is in Lusby. If we could find someone to foster him/her that would be wonderful. What vet would y'all prefer to use?

Just went back and realized you said that, thanks... I usually use All Kinds in Callaway, but I don't drive.

I'd be happy to pay for the check up, but first we need a temporary place to keep the cat in case she has anything contagious. We could get a scan done there, and then maybe someone will find their (by the looks of it long lost) pet. Hopefully. If not, a clean bill of health will help get him/her into a rescue system. Otherwise, I can't say it wouldn't have been worth the effort. Looks like a sweetheart that could use some attention in any form.

L

luckystar

They would scan at the shelter or maybe one of the rescue groups has a scanner and would scan the kitty for us.

Vets have scanners. I'm concerned about them wanting to snatch a stray away from us though... the shelter I mean. Do they do that?

D

dems4me

The problem is, it needs to go to a home with no cats, in case it has something contagious.

I agree, it should go somewhere without other cats too, not just for disease but also I'd think in case there's a turf war or something with existing cats. I think being declawed puts it at a disadvatage of defendings itself in case the others didn't get along with it. I considered volunteering but it would need to be indoor and outdoor cat and I'm worried about it defendings itself from the others if it needed to.

luvscats

Vets have scanners. I'm concerned about them wanting to snatch a stray away from us though... the shelter I mean. Do they do that?

I called Last Chance Animal Rescue. She can offer lower costs on standard tests like felv/fiv, etc. Her charge for an office visit is $10. What we need now is someone to house the kitty until we determine its illness. And...if the cat tests pos for fel leuk or anything else serious, what then?

It's very probable that the cat is just infested with ticks, fleas and worms. We need to be prepared if it tests pos for something more serious tho.

luvscats

as long as you don't release the kitty to the shelter or rescue group, you maintain control over its future.

L

luckystar

No..they wouldn't do that. They really don't want ANOTHER stray cat..trust me.

:lol: Good point, thanks

I called Last Chance Animal Rescue. She can offer lower costs on standard tests like felv/fiv, etc. Her charge for an office visit is $10. What we need now is someone to house the kitty until we determine its illness. And...if the cat tests pos for fel leuk or anything else serious, what then?

It's very probable that the cat is just infested with ticks, fleas and worms. We need to be prepared if it tests pos for something more serious tho.

Awesome on the $10 visit and low cost tests. Where is this located, and what are their hours?

If the cat tests positive for something, we're already looking for a home with no cats. If it tests positive for something really bad, I guess the cat got the attention it very much needed in the last moments of his or her life... :ohwell:

I also have a cat condo someone could borrow to house the kitty if we can find a volunteer to foster.

Sweet. Posting on Facebook as soon as the internet allows... it's being weird today.

L

luckystar

Ugh! Is something wrong with Facebook or my connection here?

J

jp2854

I am not having any problems with facebook and the share button working fine on my end maybe its your internet connection lucky