Key Bridge Collapses

stgislander

PREMO Member
Good video.

I have to think that ICS has already been stood up. Most likely USCG COTP Baltimore is in charge. (I spent 4 years at MSO Baltimore, and was surprised to learn how much power by law the COTP holds.) The 5th District Admiral from Portsmouth, VA was on-scene the other evening during a press conference. I can't imagine he would be actually be in charge unless he felt the severity and politics required a flag officer.

3CATSAILOR

Most bridges have islands in front of their structures to prevent impacts with actual bridge structure.
Very good point. And if this bridge was so important, then why didn't it? Being an older bridge, it could have been retro fitted with an island or structure. Of course the first thing we would hear is cost prohibitive. But, doesn't a new bridge cost more? I guess they rolled the dice and lost.

WingsOfGold

Very good point. And if this bridge was so important, then why didn't it? Being an older bridge, it could have been retro fitted with an island or structure. Of course the first thing we would hear is cost prohibitive. But, doesn't a new bridge cost more? I guess they rolled the dice and lost.
Island around stanchions would have made a LOT of sense. Now they have a lot of steel to fill it in with.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
They do, they’re called dolphins. As for withstanding a direct hit, how many tons was that ship?
Typical dolphins would vanish in a flash from the kind of impact this was.

All the armchair engineers are insisting there "should have been" huge protective islands built around the base of the supporting columns. Expensive proposition there....but I wouldn't bet against it happening at some point.

Last edited:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
That's the wonderful thing about both hindsight and armchair engineering. Both are flawless.
expurt.jpg

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Might be cheaper in the long run.
Statistically and economically speaking...absolutely no way. Hundreds of bridges....but a couple bridge impact events per decade.

Nobody could afford an automobile that was designed and built to guarantee it was "fatality proof". This is no different.

Hijinx

Statistically and economically speaking...absolutely no way. Hundreds of bridges....but a couple bridge impact events per decade.

Nobody could afford an automobile that was designed and built to guarantee it was "fatality proof". This is no different.
Yes I remember an incident in Washington DC. A kid climbed up on a Pennsy Train and got electrocuted by the catenary wires. He lost an arm and both legs and sued because there was no fence.
Pennsy paid him off and there is still no fence, it was cheaper to pay him off than the upkeep on the fence.

glhs837

Power with Control
Yes I remember an incident in Washington DC. A kid climbed up on a Pennsy Train and got electrocuted by the catenary wires. He lost an arm and both legs and sued because there was no fence.
Pennsy paid him off and there is still no fence, it was cheaper to pay him off than the upkeep on the fence.

You also have to factor in the likelihood of an event. How many other kids have been dumb enough to do that....... How much stupidity are we required to cover?

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
You also have to factor in the likelihood of an event. How many other kids have been dumb enough to do that....... How much stupidity are we required to cover?
It’s more likely some crackhead will climb up to try and cut the wire down for the scrapyard.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Life includes risks. Risks can be evaluated. The costs can be computed. We move on.