Landlords

pvineswinger

Swinging on Vines
I asked for input in the beginning of the thread, regarding the landlords that have homes in our neighborhood that make it miserable for the HOMEOWNERS in the neighborhood, but :shrug: You were too busy jumping on someone and accusing them of being dirty.

Well, when you jumped on her because of poor grammar, it just seemed appropriate to point out that people in glass houses......

I didn't JUMP on anyone...she JUMPED in about scumbag landlords...and again, if you aren't a landlord with a crappy tenant, this doesn't pertain to you...I don't know why people feel it necessary to address the exact opposite point of a thread...I was trying to offer resources to LANDLORDS who could possibly get screwed, or had already gotten screwed. Sorry about you crappy neighbors, but I haven't been in THAT situation- and I've never lived in a moldy house, either... geesh- do you not read threads before you post?

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
It's fun to psot something wrong here and their to see who doesn't really have anything useful to add, but is in the thread anyway....
Obviously because they don't have anything better too do.

:otter:

I have something to add, I think you're a #####...

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I didn't JUMP on anyone...she JUMPED in about scumbag landlords...and again, if you aren't a landlord with a crappy tenant, this doesn't pertain to you...I don't know why people feel it necessary to address the exact opposite point of a thread...I was trying to offer resources to LANDLORDS who could possibly get screwed, or had already gotten screwed. Sorry about you crappy neighbors, but I haven't been in THAT situation- and I've never lived in a moldy house, either... geesh- do you not read threads before you post?

I stand corrected. You are definitely a #####!

pvineswinger

Swinging on Vines
They can provide documentation that they're full time students.
What does that have to do with them paying their bills?
I already said that my background check was not thorough enough- so does that mean I deserved to get screwed?
I guess so, from the comments I've gotten in this forum.
I really hope none of you have the same problem, but if and when you do you'll know why I have no patience for a$$hole tenants, and people who say you should have checked them out better here and here...blah blah blah- hindsight is ALWAYS 20/20.

vegmom

Bookseller Lady
No one is saying you deserved to get screwed over here, and not every tenent who checks out is going to be an angel. But the folks you rented to had a nice trail behind them that could have saved you some grief. Like I said- consider it tuition for a class on what to do/not to do next time you rent out a property.

And if someone has a mold issue with a property they are renting it's waaaaaay beyond the bleach/dehumidifier/Vornado level.

pvineswinger

Swinging on Vines
No one is saying you deserved to get screwed over here, and not every tenent who checks out is going to be an angel. But the folks you rented to had a nice trail behind them that could have saved you some grief. Like I said- consider it tuition for a class on what to do/not to do next time you rent out a property.

And if someone has a mold issue with a property they are renting it's waaaaaay beyond the bleach/dehumidifier/Vornado level.

Would you please go back and read her first post- since you seem to think that I attacked her?
I was responding to her in the tone that she addressed me- he moldy house is not my problem. I was posting a "PSA" for other landlords to "look out"- and your posts HAVE insinuated that I DESERVED to pay for my "lesson/tuition" because I gave a freakin' couple a chance to live in my house, without looking into the "trail." Sorry, I had a freakin heart for their kid...:duh:

keepsmiling

I am not going to come down to your level, but mold is caused when a dwelling is moisture locked. When mold is growing thru the ceiling and the walls, that is a sign of my "bad cleaning habits". So from now on I will make sure I go in the attic and clean so the mold won't grow in the ceilings. I'll keep that in mind A@@hole.

Oh, I forgot, couldn't get in the attic at that house, cause Harry Homeowner, removed the attick acess.MMMmmmmmmmm, maybe that could cause mold to grow. Ya think, maybe that contributed to the moisture lock problem or how about that they built the yard up by 2 feet, causing the moisture and water to stay trapped under the house as well, I will make sure we get in the crawl space and keep that moisture out too.

Not sure where you got your education, but maybe just maybe, you don't know everything. Imagine that.

:howdy: WINEO Help????

Why don't you tell the county inspector why the mold is growning.

What county inspector??? My friend called regarding mold problems and she was told there wasn't any laws to protect tenants from mold problems, she could really use your help. Thanks!!:huggy:

wifey

I have had the same experience. Sorry to others who've had bad experiences with tenants, but would like to say that the landlords really can't do anything to help you. The tenants are the bad guys in this situation; I did all I could to help my tenants.
But if you are a landlord looking for restitution, I can help. Otherwise, I'm not referring to you. :hot:

I have had the same experience. I have tenants that are two months behind. I gave them plenty of chances and always got the "pay you Friday" speal. They are both in construction and I know not alot of that going on right now so times are hard. But that is not my problem as mortgage company still wants their money. Get a second job pumping gas/flipping burgers/whatever. I make no money off the rent. It hardly pays for itself as long as it is rented and no damages occur. This was an investment to sell later when kids get big enough for college. The renters should do something/give me partial payment to show good faith. I have to call them up/chase them down to get lied to again. Any event went and filled failure to pay rent papers today. I have a court date next Monday. What happens after that? The way the lady talked at the office I still need to file some more paperwork to have them thrown out if they dont pay. I told the lady at the court house their lease was up. Even if I gave them 30 days notice to vacate they still dont have to. More paperwork to file. Depending on how long it takes to serve papers it could be another month best case just to get them out. How do I go about getting money out of them legally once they are out? I have a feeling this is going to end up being like trying to squeeze blood from turnips. I was not raised to lie to people. I gave them chance after chance hoping to get something out of them and they were playing on the sympathy card. I just want them out with no damage at this point. Whoever ran for president on the "change the renting laws" would certainly get my vote. Thanks for any help/advice

morrigan625

I have had the same experience. I have tenants that are two months behind. I gave them plenty of chances and always got the "pay you Friday" speal. They are both in construction and I know not alot of that going on right now so times are hard. But that is not my problem as mortgage company still wants their money. Get a second job pumping gas/flipping burgers/whatever. I make no money off the rent. It hardly pays for itself as long as it is rented and no damages occur. This was an investment to sell later when kids get big enough for college. The renters should do something/give me partial payment to show good faith. I have to call them up/chase them down to get lied to again. Any event went and filled failure to pay rent papers today. I have a court date next Monday. What happens after that? The way the lady talked at the office I still need to file some more paperwork to have them thrown out if they dont pay. I told the lady at the court house their lease was up. Even if I gave them 30 days notice to vacate they still dont have to. More paperwork to file. Depending on how long it takes to serve papers it could be another month best case just to get them out. How do I go about getting money out of them legally once they are out? I have a feeling this is going to end up being like trying to squeeze blood from turnips. I was not raised to lie to people. I gave them chance after chance hoping to get something out of them and they were playing on the sympathy card. I just want them out with no damage at this point. Whoever ran for president on the "change the renting laws" would certainly get my vote. Thanks for any help/advice

I've had the opposite problem recently, problem with my landlord. It all worked out but I purchased a book of tenants rights. In the book it says that once the lease has expired the landlord doesn't have to renew it, and if the tenant stays it's considered "holding over." On the District Court of Maryland's site it has a lot of information about holding over and evictions. As far as evictions go, once you receive judgement and wait 4 days you can file for eviction. The notice is then served and the eviction can be scheduled.

Check out their site, then under housing issues. I hope it works out for you.

pvineswinger

Swinging on Vines
You first step should be to file for non-payment of rent, the court date will be the next Monday, unless you file later in the week, and it will be in 2 Mondays. Then if the tenants can't pay at the court date, you'll have one week and if they haven't paid you file for eviction. At the VERY least, it takes 3 weeks to get an eviction judgment, and then you have to wait for the Sherriffs Deputy to get back to you to "schedule" the eviction. (He's pretty busy apparently.) It was harder for me since I live in Northern VA. If the tenants pay the total amount you filed for (back-rent and late fees) they can stay, but at least you got some of your money. BUT the next time they are even a DAY late file again. Time is really the biggest problem landlords face. The week of waiting, and then another week- and meanwhile the tenants are destroying your house and you are making payments on a house and not getting any income for. I know the paperwork sucks, but you will get the costs back when you get a judgment. They include filing fees/court costs in your judgment.
They court clerks will give you the number and contact info for BNI (Baltimore Neighborhood Inc.) and I'm sure they are helpful to some people- but they really weren't much help to me at all.
Let me know if you need any more info...and sorry you had to go through this, I know what it's like...

pvineswinger

Swinging on Vines
I was told by Calvert County that there is little I can do about the homeowners (yes, homeowners) who let their yard look like a slum (at least 7 cars, 5 with no tags, all over the yard).

I called MSP to ask if they could come out and tag the cars for them to be towed. I haven't seen anything happen on that yet. Yes, they can tag cars for being a nuisance, especially if they aren't tagged by the MVA.

The occupants have been busted for selling out of the house so I know for a fact it is going on. It is the only house on our street that looks like a slum. Calvert County tells me there is nothing they can do unless it presents a health hazard.

One quick note-- you can check here to find the owners of a home:
Real Property Search
The owner is ultimately responsible for the property, even if the tenants are deadbeats. Contacting the owner and making him/her/them own up is the best way to prevent "slumlords" and keep your block clean.

pvineswinger

Swinging on Vines
Another Note

Landlords, if you suspect your tenants are "less than clean" inspect the property regularly. You do have to give notice (at least 24 hours) but INSPECT!!
IT IS YOUR RIGHT AS THE PROPERTY OWNER!!!
I live in No. VA and couldn't inspect more than once every few months and really wish I could have been there more.
Now I am having trouble getting the smell out in order to sell the house.
Well the house itself is fine (thanks onebdeez) but the garage seriously might need to be leveled, it still smells...:twitch:

pvineswinger

Swinging on Vines
They've been evicted again...

My ex-tenants have been evicted again, and left the new landlords property with the same stench.
If anyone has recently rented a place out...beware!
Well at least they are consistent... 3-4 months in each new place.:yay: