Motorcyle crash, 2 killed. Makes my blood boil!

RaspberryBeret

Protected By Trunk Monkey
My personal theory on this is to not try to guess what happened and place blame on either party, but instead to lend prayer and support for all involved in the tragic accident.
but thats just me.

Kudos BCP :howdy:
An ACCIDENT is just that ..... it's an ACCIDENT. I'm sure the couple on the motorcycle and the driver of the car did not leave their homes knowing that they'd be involved in this horrific event. Accidents are unfortunate and sad but they happen nonetheless.

Something I've noticed...gray vehicles blend in with the road. Has anyone else noticed this? Every time I've ever pulled out in front of a vehicle, it has been gray.

My daughter got in a minor fender bender at 16. The car was white. Police said most don't see white either.
Living in FL there are bikes everywhere. I always look twice. I saw a HD the other day that even had lights on his foot pegs.

Qualcom Troll4

STFU When You Speak To Me
Okay what people need to realize is that a bike is going to leave skid marks trying to stop suddenly. a motorcycle only has about 6"square of rubber on the road at any given time. thats equals about 1 tire on a car.no ABS and no, I'm bigger than they are sensors,in a emergency stop it's hard to control.

GOOGLE Motorcycle Accidents.

DId the Airbags deploy? If not there wasn't enough force to cause them to deploy which means that the VICTIMS were not going that fast.

I agree, but lets not forget its about 1/8 of the weight of a car. Does it really need 2/3 of a football field to stop when doing the lawful speed limit of 40 mph? And does that speed (during deceleration from 40 mph after 200 feet of attempting to stop) still produce enough force to kill?. Airbags only deploy if the sensors are hit. And the 200 feet comes from a source more reliable than a forum rumor It's just been rounded up. It was actually more like 180 feet.

jlfree25

Steelers Fan 4-life
I agree, but lets not forget its about 1/8 of the weight of a car. Does it really need 2/3 of a football field to stop when doing the lawful speed limit of 40 mph? And does that speed (during deceleration from 40 mph after 200 feet of attempting to stop) still produce enough force to kill?. Airbags only deploy if the sensors are hit. And the 200 feet comes from a source more reliable than a forum rumor It's just been rounded up. It was actually more like 180 feet.

Here is a page that tlks alot about motorcycle skidmarks. Not sure if it really covers what needs to be covered and I am still looking. But aparantly if the front brake is used to stop it's going to leave behind a skid mark no matter what or I could of read it wrong.

Mechanical Forensics: Motorcycle Braking

Well as of right now it's a forum rumor to me.

But, no, I could stop my bike in much less than that. You should be able to bring a sport bike to a stop from 60mph within 150'. An extra person would add to that of course.
Oh, that's if you don't lock them up.

jlfree25

Steelers Fan 4-life
I can't find the other site that is really informative about skid marks. Someone posted it to Paso when her hubby wrecked his bike. I will keep looking or maybe if the person that posted it there could post it here.

TIA

So, if lets say someone driving a big pickup truck were to accidentally (accidents do happen) pulled out in front of,, oh lets say a Civic, should the driver of the truck be subject to stiffer penalties than if he would have been driving a smart car?

why should size or weight of the vehicle come into play when its an accident?

Example.
My driveway enters directly onto 214, almost at the crest of a hill.
I almost got hit by a rice rocket about a month ago.

I looked both ways, it was clear, I started to pull out.
right as I get about to the center of the road, here comes Mr rice rocket running about 70 or 80 mph over the crest of the hill.
as luck would have it, I jammed the breaks and he was an able enough driver to quickly shift to the shoulder and clear the front of the truck.

now, had we hit, y'all would be calling for stiff penalties against me because the cycle was being ridden in an a-hole like manner?

its not always the fault of the driver.

on the other hand, I almost hit a bike on the beltway the other day when I was changing lanes, He was doing nothing wrong other than riding in my blind spot.. I noticed him just in time to pull back.

Auto on auto I could care less - who is at fault is at fault. Bikes are tougher to see though and I fully understand where you are coming from.

I agree with you and everyone else, when the crotch rocket is hauling ass (or riding like a jack-ass) they are pretty much well asking for it; I call them 'statistics', Hoover calls them 'donors', but I am speaking when the auto is at fault.

AMA has been pushing for years, for stiffer penalties for at fault auto's when a motorcycle death has happened - and for stiffer penalties/fines for non fatalities as well.

bcp

In My Opinion
AMA has been pushing for years, for stiffer penalties for at fault auto's when a motorcycle death has happened - and for stiffer penalties/fines for non fatalities as well.
There should be no more penalty for the driver when a motorycle is involved or a car is involved.
it it was an on purpose instead of an accident, then yes. but the reality is that accidents do happen.

There should be no more penalty for the driver when a motorycle is involved or a car is involved.
it it was an on purpose instead of an accident, then yes. but the reality is that accidents do happen.

Accidents do happen, but riding since I was 10, racing since 12 and street bikes since I was 17 'ish I am a little sensitive to the issue.

From my experience, the majority of the drivers seem to not watch out for motorcycles.

The AMA has done motor awareness campaigns which has helped reducing auto accidents with MC's, as well as state sponsored training and stiffer requirements for obtaining a MC license.

IMO - I still stand by the AMA's push stiffer penalties when the car is at fault... make examples out of a few and others should see. I just wish our judicial system was like that.

Peepaw95

It seems to me that if you are aware that you are doing something dangerous you have 2 choices. Either stop doing it or take responsability for the results. Quit trying to make other people responsable for your actions.

JimW711

Driving the Z
Driving a vehicle and/or riding a motorcycle is a priviledge that too many people take for granted these days. Percentage wise there are just as many idiots out there driving vehicles as there are those riding motorcycles, and the people that don't pay attention to what they're doing need to accept responsibilty for their actions.

It has been stated that this was an accident. I call it an incident of stupidity on somebody's part. You have to treat the vehicle you're driving or the motorcycle you're riding with respect. Too many people feel they're invincible once they turn that ignition and push the vehicle/motorcycle beyond what the motor vehicle laws allow.

Place blame where blame is due, but also accept blame if that's the case. That goes for not only the victims, but for the family of the victims too.

Not a sermon...... Just a thought

R

remaxrealtor

I know the look isn't as "cool", but there are the neon-marked jackets that would be a help. If I were riding, I'd say, anything to make it safer! Yet, I don't see too many people wearing them?

calamity jane

Driving a vehicle and/or riding a motorcycle is a priviledge that too many people take for granted these days. Percentage wise there are just as many idiots out there driving vehicles as there are those riding motorcycles, and the people that don't pay attention to what they're doing need to accept responsibilty for their actions.

It has been stated that this was an accident. I call it an incident of stupidity on somebody's part. You have to treat the vehicle you're driving or the motorcycle you're riding with respect. Too many people feel they're invincible once they turn that ignition and push the vehicle/motorcycle beyond what the motor vehicle laws allow.

Place blame where blame is due, but also accept blame if that's the case. That goes for not only the victims, but for the family of the victims too.

Not a sermon...... Just a thought

Do I understand you right, that you want the family of the victims to share the blame for their deaths?
IMO, An accident did happen (I define accident as an unintended event with unintended consequences), but someone is usually to blame for using poor judgment, at the very least. I don't see how you can put part of the blame on the parents of those deceased.
The person driving the car, whether she saw them or not, did pull out in front of them. Maybe she thought they were farther away or moving slower than they were, known only to her at this time.
The person driving the bike might have contributed to the accident by going too fast.
Either way, I think responsibility for the accident has to be placed more heavily on the part of the person who failed to yield the right of way. A very sad burden for a person to have to carry.

PsyOps

Pixelated
Accidents do happen, but riding since I was 10, racing since 12 and street bikes since I was 17 'ish I am a little sensitive to the issue.

From my experience, the majority of the drivers seem to not watch out for motorcycles.

The AMA has done motor awareness campaigns which has helped reducing auto accidents with MC's, as well as state sponsored training and stiffer requirements for obtaining a MC license.

IMO - I still stand by the AMA's push stiffer penalties when the car is at fault... make examples out of a few and others should see. I just wish our judicial system was like that.

And what sort of stiffer penalty would you give me for the biker, that was going too fast and following to close to me when he rearended me and caused over $5000 worth of damage to my brand new car?

Why do you want to penalize people because they didn't see a vehicle 1/8th their size? The same lack of awareness that caused this accident in Lexington Park is the same lack of awareness that causes any other accident. I can give you dozens of times where I never even saw a biker coming; and it had zero to do with whether I was paying attention; it was mostly because the guy was going too fast and riding too erratically and making unpredictable moves. You have all these demands for auto drivers but nothing for bikers. Why aren’t you asking them to slow down, stay out of our blind spots, don’t make lane changes that cut right in front of you without a signal, stop riding with the mentality “I’m small, I can fit”?

bcp

In My Opinion
Ok, few moments to play with numbers here, (bet Im close when the actual results are known.)

this is based on
180 ft total skid
asphalt road surface, (guess on my part)
assumption that only back wheel was skidding on the bike.

now, had the bike actually stopped at the end of that 180ft without hitting the car,

we take the numbers.

Where "S" will equal speed.
C will equal a constant of 30 (just works that way in the equation,, sorta like pie is 3.14)
D will equal distance of the skid
F will be the drag factor of the road
N will be braking efficency based an the assumption of a 70% braking. (100 % would have had the front wheel skidding also.)

so, we take the Square Root of C*D*F*N to get S (S was the speed)

30*180*.75*.70 = 2835
Square Root of 2835 = 53.24

so, based on that, I get 53.24 mph pre braking speed ,, IF the bike would have stopped on its own at the end of the 180 ft. but, it didnt, it had enough speed to hit the car hard enough to create the damage, and to tragically end the lives of the two on the bike.

Last edited:

JimW711

Driving the Z
Do I understand you right, that you want the family of the victims to share the blame for their deaths?
IMO, An accident did happen (I define accident as an unintended event with unintended consequences), but someone is usually to blame for using poor judgment, at the very least. I don't see how you can put part of the blame on the parents of those deceased.
The person driving the car, whether she saw them or not, did pull out in front of them. Maybe she thought they were farther away or moving slower than they were, known only to her at this time.
The person driving the bike might have contributed to the accident by going too fast.
Either way, I think responsibility for the accident has to be placed more heavily on the part of the person who failed to yield the right of way. A very sad burden for a person to have to carry.

If the one(s) that perished were at fault due to their own stupidity, the family members should accept that fact and not place blame on the other party. This happens way too often.

A perfect example was the drag racing event on Rte. 210 in Accokeek earlier this year. The ones that died and their families should accept "equal" blame in that incident and not try to put the whole thing on the driver of that car. Anyone with any amount of common sense should tell you not to be in the middle of a major highway at 3am in the morning.

Missy_State

I think this is just crazy for people to speculate. It's obvious it was someone's fault but no one has intentions of causing an acccident to happen. You are all missing the main point and that is that they are all victims! I pray for the family that has lost their loved ones as well as the other party involved. it's not easy to live with knowing that you were involved in an incident where someone lost their life. All the accusations that everyone is making mean nothing at all because your are not doing the investigation. Either way someone is not going to like the outcome. Remember that the battle is The Lords.

And what sort of stiffer penalty would you give me for the biker, that was going too fast and following to close to me when he rearended me and caused over $5000 worth of damage to my brand new car?

Why do you want to penalize people because they didn't see a vehicle 1/8th their size? The same lack of awareness that caused this accident in Lexington Park is the same lack of awareness that causes any other accident. I can give you dozens of times where I never even saw a biker coming; and it had zero to do with whether I was paying attention; it was mostly because the guy was going too fast and riding too erratically and making unpredictable moves. You have all these demands for auto drivers but nothing for bikers. Why aren’t you asking them to slow down, stay out of our blind spots, don’t make lane changes that cut right in front of you without a signal, stop riding with the mentality “I’m small, I can fit”?

:rolleyes: We do not know what caused this accident now do we?

Listen to me - if the auto/driver is at fault for causing an accident to a motorcyclist, who is obeying the law, then stiffer fines/penalties should be levied.

No where did I say a jack-ass on a motorcycle who slams into a car and the auto driver gets smacked hard with fines and penalties - where in the hell did you derive that from?

This is my opinion, sorry if you disagree and want to argue the point but I stand by what I just said.